Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Family / personal / health issues
 Broken Wrist Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pirie
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  1:42:18 PM  Show Profile Send Pirie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi -

I've been googling for the last 2 hours and can't find any info on whether it's okay for me to knit now that the cast is off my wrist (cast removed March 4th) tho' I'm still in a brace. My wrist is VERY stiff when it comes to up/down - left/right but I haven't knitted since January 18th (date of break) and it's making me CRAZY!! However, if knitting now will mean less knitting ability later...I'll persevere.

Any insight suggestions etc will be greatly appreciated!

NastiJ
Permanent Resident

1288 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  8:12:53 PM  Show Profile Send NastiJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pirie

Hi -

I've been googling for the last 2 hours and can't find any info on whether it's okay for me to knit now that the cast is off my wrist (cast removed March 4th) tho' I'm still in a brace.

Any insight suggestions etc will be greatly appreciated!

My suggestion would be to ask your medical practitioner.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1802 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  11:07:25 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Nancy, and even suggest that you ask for some physical therapy to help you work into your life of knitting, and other tasks with care and sense.

Good luck!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  05:24:05 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I broke my wrist a few years ago. Kept right on knitting with cast and with brace. But it may depend on where the break happened. Mine was straight across just above joint.

I agree about physical therapy. Doc gave me two basic moves to do but at that time I had a client who is a physical therapist and he showed me many more exercises to do. He told me to keep at it so I didnt lose range of motion. I did not lose any knitting ability. Best wishes.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page

technikat
Gabber Extraordinaire

595 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  4:09:24 PM  Show Profile Send technikat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that you should have some physical therapy to restore the strength and range of motion of your wrist.

My FOs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technikat/
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2600 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  7:43:13 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Physical therapy is amazing. I always had "poo-poo'd" the notion, but now I know it is very important after an injury, surgery, etc.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  10:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check with your doctor. And here >may be< some good news: When I knit, I >don't use< my wrist! Instead, I rotate my forearm at the elbow. The wrist is a bending joint, not a rotating one, and trying to make it rotate will be a problem. I'd take your knitting to a PT (esp. one who knits) and get some good advice there.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe