Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Gauge start up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SusanHigley
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  07:40:24 AM  Show Profile Send SusanHigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I am starting my second gauge for a Vogue pattern, Spring/ Summer 2013.
Pattern Lacy Tee #22.

My understanding is to knit the gauge bigger than the gauge directions. So if it says 18 stitchs and 32 rows to make a 4 inch piece, then I would cast on more than 18 and go higher than 32 rows to get a good sample to measure.

Is that correct?

It is a chart with 8 stitches of repeat.

thank you for your advice.

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  10:09:53 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it was me, I'd do something like 26 stitches by 40 rows, with a garter stitch border all the way around to circumvent possible curling. Then I'd measure it and get the gauge. Then I'd wash it, let it dry, and measure for gauge again. Frequently there are gauge differences between washed and unwashed yarn, by enough to make a significant difference in fit in something like a T-shirt.

One thing, though, is that I've never knit a lace garment that needed a gauge swatch, so perhaps someone else can weigh in on specifics of swatching lace? I know it stretches a lot, so maybe you're supposed to block the swatch?

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

SusanHigley
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  6:31:48 PM  Show Profile Send SusanHigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Robinsteph! Yes the first gauge I did a 2 row border and 2 garter stitches to make a border. I will let you know how it turns out. I will post a picture, if the forum lets that happen. LOL. Happy knitting.

susan
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1786 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  9:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This KR thread:

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=104856

may be helpful to you. What I discovered is that I really need TWO gauges! If that's enough to entice you, click on the link and have a look.

And welcome to KR! You'll love it here.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe