Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Question about baby yarns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  6:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't sure whether to post this question here or under the yarn section, but figured this was as good a place as any ...

When I purchase ready-made items for babies (almost always of cotton and/or synthetics or blends), there is usually some tag or label stating that it meets "such and such regulations" to make it resistant to burning.

But, to my knowledge, this is not (yet) the case for synthetic hand-knitting yarns especially promoted for baby items. I try to keep up with the latest "yarn news" in several knitting magazines I read regularly, but can't remember seeing anything about this and I wonder why this has not been addressed by the makers of these yarns.

I have become quite strict about using 100% wool when I knit items for babies.

Does anyone know of synthetic yarns that have been treated to be flame-resistant? Maybe I just haven't heard about it? Would this involve chemicals in the yarn that I would not want to handle? But if that were the case, then I wouldn't want to put it on my grandbaby ...

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe