Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Blocking Shawls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

755 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  06:10:54 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just heard someone say that shawls have to be reblock each time you wash it. Is that true Should I give instruction on blocking when I give a shawl as a gift? Donna

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1784 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  10:17:50 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Donna, those are two good questions!

As for reblocking after washing, the answer is probably you do. But it might work to just spread it out mightily by hand--the yarn may "remember" it's stretched size enough to be satisfactory.

The second question is one that I have dealt with in my shameful, innate way of denial: I don't tell them what to do, hoping that they may get it dry-cleaned or something

I hope someone else has better, more proper ways to deal with your good questions!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

755 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  03:17:35 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You Anna, I have given instruction on how to wash it just never thought about blocking. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Vcoerulea
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  4:53:40 PM  Show Profile Send Vcoerulea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think some one on here once posted that she gives washing and reblocking as part of the gift. Maybe so that she gets to bring her 'baby' home for a visit.
HTH,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.