Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Help please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  08:34:38 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am working on a pattern and I need it a little smaller in the width. Not a whole size so if I go up a needle size on existing size will that make it a just little smaller
in the width?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2584 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  12:38:54 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Won't that make it bigger? Bigger needles = looser stitches = wider fabric?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  12:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with anderknit, you should go down a needle size.

Whatcha making?!

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  1:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola, you may be thinking that if larger needles mean fewer stitches per inch, that will mean a smaller size ... but just the opposite is true, IF you are knitting a certain number of stitches with the same yarn.

For example, if one size needle gives you 3 stitches per inch and the instructions say to knit 90 stitches, your item will be 30 inches wide (ha, in a perfect world!); but if a smaller needle gives you 5 stitches per inch, those same 90 stitches will be only 18 inches wide with the same yarn (90 divided by either 3 or 5).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Janettoo
Warming Up

55 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  7:59:15 PM  Show Profile Send Janettoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe going to a smaller needle will give you the width you want; maybe not. Maybe you need to change the number of stitches you knit. You need to swatch with different size needles and see if you like the fabric you get with smaller needles, and what gauge you get. Smaller, tighter stitches might made the fabric stiffer than you want.

You might want to follow the directions for a smaller size with the needles and gauge you have now.

It all depends.

Janet in TN
Go to Top of Page

knitgray
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2013 :  09:09:51 AM  Show Profile Send knitgray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always need to adjust the sweaters I knit. I think you would be happier if you reduced the number of stitches instead of the needle size. Getting the correct gauge is hard enough. The designer takes into account the drape of the yarn in the gauge recommended. I think you might be unhappy with the finished result if you just use smaller needles to get the width you want. If you pattern has a complicated repeat instead of plain sockinette, you can add or delete stitches in the repeat or just have sockinette on the sides.
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  5:12:37 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minh, Well I received my new book today. It is the first
knitting book I have ordered in yrs I love a couple of the sweaters and most of the hats.

I don't know whether to thank you or not.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  04:35:11 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola, Checkout Amy Herzog's "Knit to Flatter" book. All about adjusting patterns to fit you better!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.