Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Economic / big business
 Layoffs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  08:47:03 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We just got the news there will be layoffs in our department. The company is going through a reorganization, so we thought it might be coming, but there are only 11 of us, and we've been really struggling with the--growing like wildfire--workload expected of us. And now they're going to lay some of us off.

It's hard. I was laid off my two previous jobs. I wasted my youth (I had serious substance abuse problems). For the first time in my life I have a job that I like and that I'm really good at. I don't make a lot of money, but the regular paycheck has been a godsend. In 8 years I've paid off thousands of dollars in debt, started a 401k and just in the past year or so have started a teeny tiny savings account.

I don't know it will be me. I'm am the junior, so they won't save a ton of money by picking me. But then they'll pick one of my colleagues, who I care about... And they may go for more than one.

I'm having relationship problems, my neighbors--upstairs and down--are as loud as banshee vampires (as in up all night) and I was planning to move. So that's on hold, because the lease would be several hundred dollars more a month than I'm paying now.

I'm pretty depressed. Why is it that these things seem to come in waves?

How's that for a big whinge?

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  09:55:27 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry to hear about all the stress in your life right now. One of them alone would be enough, but I can understand why you feel like everything is piling on. Having the possibility of losing your job hanging over your head makes everything else so much harder to deal with.

I've survived several layoffs at my company -- we've been acquired twice plus there has been other layoffs. Knowing it's coming is very stressful and so unproductive -- everyone is too jittery to get much done plus all the speculation is hard. Then it takes even more time after to get over it. I've always been one of the survivors but like you said it's upsetting to see your colleagues get let go.

Being low man on the totempole may save your job. Who they pick has often seemed random in my experience but the common denominator is usually the higher salaries.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to hang in there and wait until after the layoffs to make any other decisions. I bet everything else will fall into place and decisions become clear. I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

879 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  10:42:18 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry for the turmoil in your life. It does seem like waves of events come at us sometimes. Looking back at some of my waves, the lesson I took from them is to have friendships and tenacity.

I hope you will feel comfortable with this group, which does care for each other. You are a valuable part of the group. You write beautifully, and your depth and thoughtfulness are apparent in your writing.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  11:29:25 AM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, that is so hard. I agree about how stuff can come in waves.
I send you my best wishes and prayers for surviving all this, and especially, my admiration for your coming out of your earlier years of deep trouble. That is a very difficult and awesome journey to have made. Congratulations!

And you don't have to feel apologetic for your "whinge".......we need to cry out when things are too tough, and as flicka says, you are a valuable member of our group.

Thanks for posting, Robinstephanie, and hang in there. We support you big time!!!!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  10:19:42 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am totally blown away by your kind replies. You guys have written some seriously kind and supportive responses, and I'm really moved. Thank you so much. It's been a hard few months, and it sure boiled over this morning.

Lucybug, thank you for your understanding, and for sharing your experience. I appreciate your advice to hang in and wait. That was my plan, but it's really reassuring to have someone with experience say it too. Makes me feel more sane and stable.

Flicka, you got me all choked up. Thank you for telling me I am valuable to the group. Since I was lured into joining the forum in the first place by all y'all being so terrific here, that means a lot to me!

Anna, thank you for your reassurance, prayers, and congratulations. (: Best thing I ever did was get sober 14 years ago(on April 19th!)

My state of mind is better after reading your posts this evening.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  04:36:43 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robinsteph, Its going to be ok. I was in the same place some 20+ years ago. I had the best job ever and the most wonderful group of people to work with. We were family, I started there when I was a kid as a after school program. My son had a poem when he was 5years old. The title was if it is to be its up to me. You just keep looking forward. Look at that strong woman in the mirror, if it wasn't for your yesterdays you wouldn't be the strong woman you are today. As for your neighbor. That's funny do you wondered where these nuts come from. I used to tip around my house trying not to wake neighbors. I met a neighbor once and said you are up stair from me, with that mother across the room look she just lowered her head. The noise was a lot better. I'm giving you a big hug.( I don't hug much) (smile).Stay Strong. Donna
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  09:55:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Layoff rumors (true or not) are always stressful. And I think your putting it on here and getting it out of your head a little is helpful. You are an important member of the group and it is good to know both the good an bad going on in each others lives.

stopping your plans for now makes the most sense. I too have been thru at least 2 (maybe 3) rounds of layoffs. Keep focusing on work, and at home focus on your resume. Keep an eye out on ads, but don't obsess over them yet. It isn't a done deal and you might still be there. Altho you might want to keep looking anyway in case you don't like the new system if you aren't asked to leave. Polishing a resume is never a bad idea.

Keep breathing and keep us posted. One of the nice things is KR is always here. 24-7 :D

And huge hugs and oysters from Philly. *wink*

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2013 :  07:23:19 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Donna, thank you, I'm laughing at your description of your neighbor's embarrassment. Yes, I could tell them what time they come home and go to bed and get up and quote them to themselves. And you are right, I have a lot of resources to deal with it, if I do get laid off--emotional ones, that is. Some days I get really upset thinking about the possibility, and other days I think about what inroads I could make in my stash.

Purlewe, thank you also for your advice. I was working on my resume last summer, but I will get it out and polish the corners. It will keep my busy while I wait. I'm also going to open houses, so I can better assess the rental market. Then, if I find I still have a job come August, I'll know a good deal when I see one and I'll jump from San Francisco to the East Bay. And I know you know, Purlewe, that oysters make everything better. *wink back*

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  09:26:04 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. A status update. It's been a month since my original post, which seems odd; time seems at a standstill (for once) but it is actually crawling along. One of my colleagues got another job and we've been told it will count towards our "headcount reduction" in August. I heard once that the more syllables a euphemism has, the farther it is from reality. Thus "fired" becomes "laid off" becomes "headcount reduction." How smarmy. Call a spade a spade.

The rudest and loudest neighbor moved out; her "anxiety" over our requests to be able to sleep at night were apparently too much for her to take. Much of the late-night noise, which she claimed she wasn't responsible for (but we knew better), has ceased. We danced in the hallway when we saw the moving van and heard her talking to the movers. I still plan to move as soon as I can, but her moving out has brought the tension down a notch or two in the meantime.

Oysters. I need more oysters in my life.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

879 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  07:17:13 AM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm relieved to read that your home life is better now. Especially when your work situation causes such stress, you need to come home to a haven, not another set of stressors.

Keep us posted on the progress on other fronts!

flicka
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  09:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am doing a tap dance for you as well about the noisy neighbor. If only we could get MY noisy neighbor to move as well!! I will raise an oyster in your direction.

Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3463 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  2:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robinsteph, I hope other good things will happen to you that will lower your stress levels.

Big hugs from me and if I could, I would send you oysters from Ireland ;)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  3:34:38 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, you guys! I will keep you posted.

Purlewe, you too? GAH! There is nothing that annoys me more than noisy neighbors. Nothing. I will raise an oyster back to you, and perhaps there is a Great Oyster God that will respond.

And Minh, do you live in Ireland? I *love* Ireland. Several years ago I went for six weeks, and I stayed for six months. Best seafood I ever had was on the West Coast, in Doolin. What an excellent excuse to make it back to Ireland: oyster sampling. As if the wool possibilities weren't tempting enough...

My spirits are much raised by being able to let the hash fly here. Thanks again, Knitting Peeps!

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  11:47:08 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my best friend at work just quit. It's one more to toss to the bosses and say yes, we've reduced head count.

With the layoffs coming, she just figured she'd never get a promotion, and she'd been in the same job for four years and was done. In her new job, she got that promotion, and a huge leap in salary; it's an excellent move for her, and she deserved the recognition. She fires on all cylinders.

This is the person who taught me how to KNIT, folks. We were friendly before then, but after she taught me to knit our friendship grew and grew, and now she consults *me* with knitting questions, and she teaches me about quilting. We have semi-regular knit/sew days. So, I will not stop seeing her, but a bright light at my work is leaving, and the room will be a dimmer when she goes. I will miss her terribly.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  12:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

While I have been sending good tho'ts to you, you would not know that for I have not posted until now.

The universe does present us w/events, circumstances & neighbors that cause much anxiety & puzzlement as well as lost sleep. None of it fun either.

Keeping my fingers & thumbs crossed for you.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

Thanks, you guys! I will keep you posted.

Purlewe, you too? GAH! There is nothing that annoys me more than noisy neighbors. Nothing. I will raise an oyster back to you, and perhaps there is a Great Oyster God that will respond.

And Minh, do you live in Ireland? I *love* Ireland. Several years ago I went for six weeks, and I stayed for six months. Best seafood I ever had was on the West Coast, in Doolin. What an excellent excuse to make it back to Ireland: oyster sampling. As if the wool possibilities weren't tempting enough...

My spirits are much raised by being able to let the hash fly here. Thanks again, Knitting Peeps!

Robinsteph

I hope all goes well and you get to keep your job. I've been through layoffs and rumors of layoffs and to be honest, I don't know which is worse. The times I was actually laid off, well, at least I knew and could start moving on. Waiting for it to happen, not knowing for sure if it would happen, was an ongoing agony.

I know what you mean about bad neighbors. Mine moved away almost a year ago and I still rejoice! I felt badly for the landlord, however, as the place was left trashed.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  5:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very belated oh dear.

Robinsteph, I am so sorry to hear about all this stress and change - I see it as a swirling cloud, like your own personal weather system that's settled over work and appears intent to stay for a while longer. Any more news on your situation?

Also, I celebrate the departure of your noisy neighbor, AND 14 years of sobriety. Talk about a gift.

Please know we're rooting for you. Selfishly? I'm hoping things will steady so that you can come to the KR Retreat this year. A gal can dream, right?

Rooting for you,

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  11:30:03 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet Clara, thank you. Yes, there is news, and yes! I might make the retreat this year!

It's been a tough week. The axe came down Tuesday. 90% of creative services was laid off, folks I love working with, who bring a sparkle to my day. 90% of personnel in another state were laid off, including the production team--my job, another state.

In my department, one production editor was laid off, and one manager was offered a demotion. He would have been laid off if another PE hadn't quit recently. We don't know if he'll stay or not. I have a job, though don't put it past upper management to outsource all production in coming years. Food for thought.

Our laid off PE is understandably angry and feels singled out. I am trying to support her, however effective that might be. She had a high salary, didn't take the workload others did, and was known to be dissatisfied. Personally, I've known she wanted a change for years. She got a good severance, and I hope hope hope this will be the change she's wanted, and will lead to something happier for her. Of course, it's easy for me to say that, not being the one this happened to, but I don't think that makes it less true.

I feel heartsick for my colleagues. I feel intensely relieved this is over. I've been holding still since December, waiting, and I feel like my life can move forward again.

In a totally weird, related note, I ran into my loud neighbor, the one who moved out, in the elevator at work. (We share a bank with other businesses.) I was two feet from her as she chatted with a colleague. She was visiting from another location. I swear, my vision narrowed into carnivore hunting mode. She didn't notice me. Not surprised; I mean, who would expect that?!

Thanks to everybody for your support, and your kind words and thoughts.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

879 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  8:14:51 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the news. I feel relieved for you!

flicka
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2013 :  12:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GREAT news from you! I heaved a sigh of relief! I feel sorry for your friends. I know it is tough out there. I am staying a place I am no longer happy with simply b'c it is tough out there. I am just glad that you feel you can move forward. Good luck!!!

(PS if your ex neighbor could have felt the psychic waves she would have fallen over paralyzed!)

Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  1:52:05 PM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats! Glad to hear you made it through the layoffs. What a relief but I know it's hard to see your colleagues lose their jobs,

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?