Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The chicken or the egg?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

maak
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  1:35:35 PM  Show Profile Send maak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost always pick yarn first, then the person who will receive it, then the pattern. It's nice to have the yarn in my stash first so I can touch it and see the actual color. I wish I could keep yarn in the freezer so I wouldn't have to worry about it! I guess I should feel lucky I have a full freezer in this economy.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  06:33:52 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, things are getting more complicated. In wool people 5 there is a pattern, Tilt, that just screamed to be knitted in the Briarrose sea pearl in my very small stash. But alas, I did not have enough so I started the alpaca shawl.

Then I went and purchased 1600 yards of another sea pearl, which arrived yesterday.

Here is the dilemma, I have a general rule of only one project at a time

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  2:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just who will come to your house and force you to finish the alpaca shawl? Hmmm?

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3994 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  1:17:46 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lately it's been dig into the stash, find yarn, and then find a pattern.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  03:34:42 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figure that as long as I haven't wound the hanks into skeins, there is a hope that I will not succomb. But those hanks are just staring at me and sayinng "Wind me! Wind me! BTW one third thorugh the shawl now and two long flights coming up...

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  07:22:07 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Usually I see a pattern to die for in a magazine, unless I go to a wool shop with the thought in mind on starting a new project.

Anyway back to the magazine, I usually find a pattern in one, then go to the wool shop and buy the wool, if I can't find the wool I need, I'll either try and substitute or send away for the right stuff.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

581 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  9:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just depends on what inspires me on a given day. The marriage of pattern and project is critical, so such decisions are never made lightly. When I was a new knitter, I always bought yarn with a project in mind; now that I understand fiber and dyeing, I appreciate yarn for itself and what it can be. A yarn in my stash may want to become something more complex than I can handle at a particular moment, or I may spend three days surfing my own pattern library and ravelry to find just the right thing for that one yarn I MUST put on the needles immediately. Sometimes eggs, sometimes chickens.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  09:08:51 AM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jane, I did finish and block my alpaca shawl and am enjoying my vacation on the cape knitting "tilt" on the beach with Chris' beautiful sea pearl.

next is finishing for my son the world's ugliest blanket for my son...

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  3:36:37 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind a gander at the World's Ugliest Blanket, either. The name, it just intrigues...

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  7:10:12 PM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I hope to bring it to the retreat. Let me say my son has great taste in designers(Elizabeth Zimmerman) and the most egregious thoughts about Color. Really, my whole LYS knows about it.

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  04:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emmyc

Jane, I did finish and block my alpaca shawl and am enjoying my vacation on the cape knitting "tilt" on the beach with Chris' beautiful sea pearl.

next is finishing for my son the world's ugliest blanket for my son...

Oh, I love Tilt. I can't wait to see everything!!!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  11:37:00 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, I hope to bring it to the retreat. Let me say my son has great taste in designers(Elizabeth Zimmerman) and the most egregious thoughts about Color. Really, my whole LYS knows about it.

Better and better. [[cackling]]

The retreat will be a good test of my knitting packing skills. I'll need something interesting for the plane, something easy for knitting whilst chatting, maybe some easy swatches for knitting late at night when tired...

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2013 :  06:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Save a little knitting time for any homework you might have for your classes!

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2013 :  07:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bring your interchangeable needles if you have them—you can always cast on a hat with yarn from the Stash Lounge, like Luann does!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  2:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my "which comes first" answer will have to be that it's a little (a lot?) of each ... however, now that I'm learning to spindle, I can see that I'm going to have more yarn with no pattern in mind for it. I love to handle the fiber just for no other reason than handling and spinning the fiber, and I'm experimenting with a number of different types.

And about the freezer comments/questions ... I remember keeping an angora sweater in the freezer to decrease the shedding. Not sure exactly why it worked, but it did help.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?