Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 Favorite Finds?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  09:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who seeks out the nearest LYS whenever she travels? Methinks not.

This week I ask the following question: Tell me about your favorite yarn shops that you've discovered while traveling. It could be Pittsburgh or Paris, I'd love to know, and I know others would too!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Catlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  09:44:37 AM  Show Profile Send Catlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been a devoted fan of Monarch Knitting in Pacific Grove, CA since it opened. This spring a new owner took over and I haven't been to the store yet so can't report on what the current shop is like, but under the previous owner it was a vibrant shop with loads of yarn, needles, patterns, and notions. The staff was fabulous and I've heard they are still there. Maybe someone can add some new info and bring this up to date.
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  4:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hee, hee, I have to update the list on my blog but I have been to 188 yarn stores so far! It's difficult to choose among them but one of the nicest stores I visited while travelling was Churchmouse Yarns and Teas on Bainbridge island in Washington. Beautiful samples everywhere, amazing yarn range, and you get to buy all your tea paraphernalia at the same time.

In the 'well, that's different!' category, I went to one yarn store in Hawaii that also sold ukeleles and musical instruments and one yarn store in Buenos Aires that sold yarn and bikinis.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  4:41:41 PM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Local LYSs are the top of my list when I have (or can make) a spare moment while traveling. I have to agree with Minh -- Churchmouse is a fav. The shop itself is lovely -- airy, easy to navigate, full of great samples, extremely fondleable yarns and delightfully helpful "mice". The journey there, via ferry from Seattle and walk up through the adorable little village is the perfect preamble.

My newest fav is String Theory in Blue Hill, Maine. Being surrounded by ST yarns is enough to make me swoon but the way the shop has been situated into a lovely old house makes it so warm and just beckons one to explore from room to room. A fabulous array of samples, remarkably well-matched patterns & yarns. And such knowledgeable and fun proprietors. I was tempted to see if I could get away with taking up permanent residence in their back room.

A third fav for sheer entertainment value and a great array of yarns and bold ideas is StevenBe in Minneapolis. Everyone there is fabulous but if you happen to catch Steven in the shop when you visit, you will be rolling in the aisles laughing and you will leave with yarns for a project you never dreamed of knitting before you entered.

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est
Go to Top of Page

Lu Bennett
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  03:53:24 AM  Show Profile Send Lu Bennett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When we are in Sonoma County, I just love stopping in downtown Santa Rosa on Railroad Square to visit Cast Away Yarns. It's a lovely shop, very friendly and they carry a large variety of yarn brands and weights. They are very helpful with phone orders as well. I've been there so often, I am now friends with one of the knitters who worked and taught in the shop. Of course, when you're in this neck of the woods, you must also make a pilgrimage to ImagiKnit in San Francisco.

LuciaKnits
Go to Top of Page

stherio
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  07:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit stherio's Homepage Send stherio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ALWAYS visit yarn shops while on vacation! My husband is every patient, and ALWAYS encourages me to buy something. He's even so kind to ask, while I am knitting, "did 'we' get that yarn on a trip?"!!!! This past July, we were vacationing with our son and daughter-in-love and she's an avid knitter. We found a shop called "Spin of Door County" in Sturgeon Bay, WI. I know what you're thinking - Door County?.....but it was an awesome shop!!!! Not touristy, but filled with tourists and the owner was patient and kind, as though each of us frequented her shop on a weekly basis. She offered free patterns with the yarns and I snagged a beautiful painted yarn and pattern for an entrelac scarf. The building is the old bank building in downtown Sturgeon Bay, and my husband spent his time studying the woodwork, ete. :-) At least he was busy - LOL!!! A great shop!

Suzy
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  09:18:20 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anybody knows about great yarn shops in Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, or Scotland that have a selection of their local yarns, please chime in! I have a fantasy vacation that I'm working on turning into reality.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  10:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

If anybody knows about great yarn shops in Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, or Scotland that have a selection of their local yarns, please chime in! I have a fantasy vacation that I'm working on turning into reality.

Robinsteph

Minh will know! http://minkyknits.blogspot.com/

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Spates
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile Send Nancy Spates a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I sense my brother and sister-in-law need a little break from my company, I run down the road to visit SUGARLOAF ALPACA COMPANY in Adamstown, Maryland not far from Frederick. Before visiting the sweet little shop, say hi to the alpacas next door in the barn and grazing nearby. Nancy, the owner, is a delight and though the store is small,you're sure to find something special and leave smiling.

Nancy Spates
Go to Top of Page

Sloknitr
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  4:18:36 PM  Show Profile Send Sloknitr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was in Washington, DC, we found a lovely LYS called Looped Yarn Works on Connecticut Av in the Dupont Circle area. Wonderful, cozy shop - delightful staff. Also many great restaurants in the vicinity (always a plus)
Go to Top of Page

flicka
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  5:50:48 PM  Show Profile Send flicka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Essex Junction, Vermont: Kaleidoscope Yarns. I could move in there.

In Viroqua, Wisconsin: Ewetopia.

In Chehalis, Washington: Yarn and Things. (I wrote about this shop in the thread about opening a yarn shop. Worth a stop if you are traveling on I-5 between Seattle and Portland.)

These are the shops I remember from my travels. I like small towns.

flicka
Go to Top of Page

barbaras
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  04:34:10 AM  Show Profile Send barbaras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am frequently in Montreal, and soon after becoming a knitter about four years ago I was there and talking to a Montrealer about yarn shops in town. She sent me here: http://www.labobineuse.com/

They mostly work from cones, have this great older equipment to put strands together to your liking. ( There are some skeins already in bins)

Especially for a newby such as myself, this was really fun to find. It's easy to get to by public transportation. Bus route goes right to it (too far from any Metro station)
Go to Top of Page

mpboarman
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  06:17:50 AM  Show Profile Send mpboarman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so happy to hear of other's travels to find yarn stores. My family has been very patient with me over the years. My favorite is in Oakland, CA, A Verb for Keeping Warm. I could move in there! Since I come from a city that has 26 yarn stores, I have seen my share in addition to those I have seen during travel. At A Verb for Keeping Warm, you walk into this beautiful, natural, serene store that has yarn, fiber, and fabric. The store is also a natural dye studio which is fascinating, too! All the staff there are helpful and friendly. On top of all that, it is organized! If you are in the San Francisco Bay area, you have to get over to Oakland. It is worth your time to visit this wonderful store. It's also the only place besides online (I think) that you can get A Verb for Keeping Warm naturally dyed yarns that are heavenly!
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  08:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite travel/yarn shop encounter came in Boulder, CO. We stayed at the gorgeous and historic Hotel Boulderado. As we drove up to it the first day I noticed Gypsy Wools right next door. A fantastic selection of rare-breed and local fibers as well as needlepoint yarns and hard-to-find tools. I could have stayed all day. The owner was friendly and patient and even indulged my then 4-year-old as he dug his hands into the bins of brightly-colored locks.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BonBon2
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  08:18:29 AM  Show Profile Send BonBon2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

Robinsteph

While planning a trip to Scotland my husband and I hope to take soon, I discovered the Scot Knits group on Ravelry. Go to their discussion threads, where they have generously made suggestions on yarn shops, sightseeing and what to pack. Kathy's Knits in Edinburgh's New Town is frequently mentioned as a source of British breed yarns. There is also a list of shops throughout Scotland. Here's the link:

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/scot-knits

BonBon2
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  11:20:53 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everybody, THANK YOU for the fantastic European yarn source info. This is great material for my trip.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

hkpdx
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  08:33:37 AM  Show Profile Send hkpdx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We traveled throughout Ireland last fall. We visited Cushendale Woolen Mills outside Kilkenny. They were lovely and showed us some of the mill. They have a website. The other mill we visited did not do tours.
Go to Top of Page

hkpdx
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  08:46:37 AM  Show Profile Send hkpdx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkpdx

We traveled throughout Ireland last fall. We visited Cushendale Woolen Mills outside Kilkenny. They were lovely and showed us some of the mill. They have a website. The other mill we visited did not do tours. We found handspun at one of the shops near Dun
Aegnus, on Inishmore, the largest Aran Island.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  10:41:41 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Twenty years ago when I was pregnant with my first child (now an avid knitter/designer and college junior), my husband and I took a trip from the east coast to the west. We spent some time in Sonoma (what was I thinking? Designated driver for days...), and then headed down to Big Sur. We stopped in a shop - it was full of amazing and unusual things (to a Northeasterner like me, anyway), including clothing, artwork, gifts, and some yarn. Even though I was a relatively inexperienced knitter back then, I bought some yarn (turned out to be Rowan Cotton Glace) and a gorgeous baby-pattern book and made my baby-to-be an adorable little vest (still have it, of course). Well, now I know that the store is the Phoenix Boutique at the famous Nepenthe, and Kaffe Fassett's family owns it. I still can't believe what an amazing confluence it all is. Thank you for stirring those memories!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  10:17:40 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While in the Berkshires at my sister's place, many years ago, I "discovered" Colorful Stitches in Lenox, MA.
I fell in love, not only with the wonderful store, in an old victorian house, packed with beautiful stuff. Then I started following their ads on Vogue Knitting et al, and the work of artist Jim Carroll, depicting the little-girl-that-grew-up, and the lovely fantasies of yarn.
It was in the early 80's, I think, maybe later, but I had not visited such a luxurious store before. So I was in love.

I still love the ads, and order occasionally, and I love to know that the store keeps all those Lenox and Berkshire ladies in luxurious (and more ordinary) yarns!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

hkpdx
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  04:58:46 AM  Show Profile Send hkpdx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minh

Hee, hee, I have to update the list on my blog but I have been to 188 yarn stores so far! It's difficult to choose among them but one of the nicest stores I visited while travelling was Churchmouse Yarns and Teas on Bainbridge island in Washington. Beautiful samples everywhere, amazing yarn range, and you get to buy all your tea paraphernalia at the same time.

In the 'well, that's different!' category, I went to one yarn store in Hawaii that also sold ukeleles and musical instruments and one yarn store in Buenos Aires that sold yarn and bikinis.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com

I love the yarn store in Hanalei, Strings n Things. Last yer they had expanded yarn section and were selling locally made hand painted yarns. Plus I play the uke.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?