Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 What should I make?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  10:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend lent me a book as a resource for a book I wrote, and I'd like to. Send her a hand-knitte thank-you gift. She lives in Houston, where it is hot most of the year. Anyone have any ideas? My knitting experience includes socks and sweaters, so I could knit pretty much anything.

Thanks!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  04:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about something lace? An infinity scarf, or a small shawl that's airy—but would take off the chill in air conditioning? Something that would simply be a great accessory might be nice, too.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knit "Cassis" for gifts several times. Shawlette. Less than 400 yards of fingering wt yarn. And it's a free pattern on Ravelry.

Another one I've knit twice and used Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool is "Henslowe". The pattern calls for fingering but I wanted a larger shawl.

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2057 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  09:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Good ideas from Jane & LJ. There are so many shawlette patterns to choose from - you'll have such fun.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  8:28:48 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ceil,

I lived in Austin, TX for ten years, and survived with a scottish shawl in the winters. I'd suggest NOT making one of furry mohair or such, because the yarn traps heat so much better than others. A lacy, fine merino might be better.

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  08:54:30 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another option is dishcloths and/or potholders (one of my favorite gifts is matching set of potholder/oven mitt, felted).

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  09:59:55 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the idea of a crescent-shaped lacy shawlette from fingering merino or merino-silk blend. I checked out Cassis on Ravelry, and I agree that it is a great choice, but there are 100's to choose from if that doesn't strike your fancy.

I also like knitted washcloths or hand towels of Louet Euroflax linen packaged with lovely soap or hand cream.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  5:34:48 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you haven't started, consider the Silken Straw Tee by Purlbee. It is a free pattern on Ravelry and many have made it. I just finished one using Shibui Knits Linen. It is a light airy top and a simple pattern. I made the S/M with a few modifications (I wear a size 12/14 top).

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  09:06:17 AM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just made the Amiga sweater -- also a free download from Ravelry. It's a top down cardigan and a very easy, fast knit. I didn't put a button on so it was even easier. It's made in slubby-cotton and I had to use size 9 needles to get gauge so though it's straight stockinette it is very lacy. Just the thing to put on in air conditioning.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  9:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks fora all the ideas. I am best sticking with a scarf or shawl. Thankfully, I found some sock yarn in my stash that looks like my friend, so I won't have to buy any new yarn.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2013 :  10:41:19 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw Ceil, it is too bad about not needing new yarn! We enablers here are crushed that you are so cool!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  9:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, no one has EVER called me cool. Go ahead and make my day.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  08:39:50 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish there was a 'like' button.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

elise
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  04:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit elise's Homepage Send elise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently made a gift of handmade spa cloths with picot edge, with a bar of handmade soap.
She loved it !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?