Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitting for Babies and Children
 Help, it's bleeding!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  09:18:05 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitted a baby blanket and whilst washing before blocking, the dark purple stripe bled into the white stripe next to it! I didn't think of this possibility as I haven't had bleeding yarn before. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to get the color off the white stripe?

Wash it again? A friend suggested one of those wipes you use to get stains off your clothing, but I don't know what's in them (and have actually never even heard of them, but could probably find them). I thought about bleach for about 2 seconds, until I realized if I used it I'd have the opposite problem: bleached out purple.

The blanket's cotton, if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  11:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that there are color catchers in the laundry soap section of our supermarket. You can also try soaking it in vinegar? I wish you lots of luck!!! I am so sorry about your project!

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1702 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2013 :  9:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vinegar will only set the color. Try the stuff at the supermarket, or there is Retyne,sold at some yarn shops or online at Dharma Trading Company.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2345 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2013 :  07:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, vinegar doesn't do any color-setting unless its a specific type of dye and it is also heat set. Very often with dark colors like navy, scarlet and purple the problem is that there is excess dye (more than the fiber can absorb) on the yarn that must be washed out. I was working with 2 colors of Cascade 220 Superwash last week and had the blue coming off on my needles, so I knew that I needed the Color Catcher sheet in the wash. If you are working with a yarn that is a darker, saturated color you can rub it with a damp white paper towel to see if it will bleed.

Robinsteph, I have had some success with putting something like Stain Stick or resolve on the part of the white with the bleed and then washing again in hot water with detergent and a color catcher. It might be worth a try.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  08:30:18 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much everybody.

I did a little reading on the Retayne and the color catchers, and sounds like the best time to use the Retayne would have been before I washed. If I use it now, I'm afraid I'll retain that bleed right where it is.

I'll try Shelia's recommendation and rewash. If the color comes out, I'll soak in the Retayne before sending the gift. If it doesn't, maybe I'll try washing again.

Fingers crossed,

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  4:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try the Carbona Color Run Remover, available at the supermarket. It saved a Christmas stocking this happened to: http://owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/oh-kittens/

HTH.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2345 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  07:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Owl, that sounds great. I've never seen it in a store, so I didn't know it existed. Good to know for possible problems in the future!

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

NutmegOwl
Gabber Extraordinaire

576 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  7:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit NutmegOwl's Homepage Send NutmegOwl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG. It can't be possible I knew about something related to dye and fiber that you did not, Shelia. We will assume that was pure accident and properly attribute the discovery to KnittingKittens. ;)

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2345 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  06:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Smarty-pants!

(Smooch)

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  11:46:20 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are adorable.

The stain stick didn't work and became yet another kind of disaster when it picked up blue dye from the surface I was working on; I nearly fainted when I saw that. BUT the color catcher got it out, leaving the original purple. Next up: Carbona, if I can find it. Funny enough, I remember you posting about this incident, Owl--I've read that blog post of your'n, and thought, "How useful; I should remember this, I might need it sometime!" HA! So much for memory. Although, gotta say, now that it has happened to ME, I will remember it.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  11:57:35 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the color run stuff. It got the bleed out, along with loads of dye from the rest of the project! My vibrant purple is blue-grey; my black is dark grey, blues are various shades of denim. Even the silver is now... grey! It's kind of amazing how much dye was in that yarn.

The blanket still looks good--in fact, it might even look better. It's got a kind of faded denim look about it that I really like, but it's lost that "Dallas Cowboys" look that I was going for. (Father-to-be is a huge fan.) It's definitely a lesson learned. I bought some Retayne to have on hand next time I have a project that could be damaged by bleeding.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am very happy that I was able to salvage the blanket. KR to the rescue!

I also found a website with instructions on how to make one's own color catchers: muuuuch cheaper than buying them ready made, and no fragrances. (:

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/08/make-your-own-laundry-color-catchers.html

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.