Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hello from Canada
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

suzieknits4u
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2013 :  10:25:31 PM  Show Profile Send suzieknits4u a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am a 79 year old widow who misses her husband very much. I am fortunate to have one of my 3 sons living with me. I can no longer walk or do much for myself but I am ok. I can still knit for short periods of time and am presently taking a course online at Craftys with Laura Nelkin in Mastering Lace Shawls. I have just about finished my first shawl and am thrilled with it. I am just doing the scalloped edging on it. I have been knitting since I was very young. My first knitting experience was in the Brownies where we each knit a square that was to be used in an afghan for soldiers overseas. We were all so proud of this project. I don't think it would have kept anyone very warm but we learned the importance of volunteering and helping others. I loved knitting instantly and practised so much making squares. I didn't knit much during my teen years, life had other interesting things going on. I started up again when I was about 19 and kept on going from there. I have knit so many sweaters that I have lost count. There were Aran, Nordic, Cable, V neck which my husband loved for school because they were dressy but comfortable.
I have knit and crocheted again so many afghans, socks. A few years ago I learned to knit toe up socks from watching You Tube and found wonderful tutorials online by Liat Gat. I have used You Tube for learning all of the many new techniques. I must say though I am completely enthralled with knitting lace shawls. I do knit socks for a community group and will have to get busy making more for the winter. What makes me get up in the morning. My life has changed so much that I guess just waking up is a celebration and knowing I have a computer and my knitting and how lucky I am to be in my own home. I am lucky to have three wonderful sons.

Dorothy J. Atkinson

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  12:50:41 AM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Dorothy ! Thanks for your wonderful introductory message! I am so glad you have found us here on the internet.

Congratulations on your first lace shawl! I love knitting lace shawls. I am from Baltimore in the US, and wonder where in Canada you are from?

I am so sorry you have lost your husband, but glad you have your sons to support you. This KR Forums community is wonderful support,too, so don't be too shy!
And enjoy the friendship and inspiration you find here...

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2013 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums, from Maine! Wow! Your first lace shawl!, very impressive. It is folks like you who inspire me to try techniques that I have not yet tried (and I've been knitting 50 yrs). I hope you enjoy the forums. I'm sure you have much experience to share with us!
judy
Go to Top of Page

Rwats2
Chatty Knitter

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  5:36:04 PM  Show Profile Send Rwats2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Ms. Dorothy from Louisiana (USA).
Please relax and enjoy yourself. We have a lot of fun here. Question.
What part of Canada are you from?

Rebecca
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

761 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  04:11:18 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dorothy, Welcome here from Chicago. I have also taken classes on Craftsy. Have you ever did any of the knit-along? I had so much fun making the Art Deco Beanie. I also did Laura Nelkin Mastering Shawl and Stephen West Shawlscapes. HAPPY KNITTING Donna
Go to Top of Page

suzieknits4u
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  9:06:41 PM  Show Profile Send suzieknits4u a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your warm and lovely welcomes. I live on Georgian Bay in a little village called Lafontaine. My late husband and I moved here 39 years ago. We felt like pioneers as this was at that time an entirely Francophone community. The most wonderful neighbours in the world. I didn't speak French but I did sing with the Francophone choir. It was a wonderful experience. I learned to understand a great deal of French but speaking was another things. Funnily enough singing in French was wonderful and I found that easy. I was so proud when the Director asked me to be soloist. I had been a soloist ever since I was in Kindergarten. A loooong time ago. I no longer sing but really how can I complain at age 79. It was a wonderful experience.
As to my shawl. It has been a ball. I have enjoyed every minute of it even though I have done an awful lot of frogging and tinking.
I'm on the last section now which is the scalloped edging. Now, I have to figure out how I'm going to get it blocked. I'm hoping my wheelchair will allow me to work at my dining room table. It's so maddening because I have the most beautiful sewing room with a huge cutting table. My husband had the room built for me when he retired. He said it was my retirement present. He even had a huge cutting table built for me which had drawers and cupboards built in. The room is surrounded with cupboards and bookcases. I had many years of enjoyment in it. I just can't walk now so I can't use it. I hope someday when I'm gone that someone will walk in and say what I did "Oh it's my dream room. I must admit I feel sad knowing all of the lovely fabric that is sitting in it with my beautiful Janome 10001. It sure did gorgeous embroidery work. I was just getting into Fabric Art when I had to stop, but, I did have such happy times in the room.
I have been knitting since I was in Brownies during the WW11. We learned to knit squares that we were told were going to be made into
covers to keep our soldiers warm. I don't think they would have kept anyone warm. My aunt told my cousin who was a pilot overseas what I was doing. He wrote me and said that he had actually got the blanket that I had made. He knew it was mine because he recognized my knitting.
Isn't that funny?. I believed that too. Bless his heart he was reported missing over the Bay of Bengal and was never found. He was only 22.
Well, I have chatted long enough. It's so nice to have the internet so that I can talk to people from all over the world. Nearly all of my friends are in homes or are busy travelling the world. They all live in Toronto which is quite a long way from me. None of them are interested in computers but my best friend and I talk a couple of times a month.
Sorry I didn't get back to your forum sooner but I kind of got lost and couldn't find out where I had been. I should have written down where I had been. It's so nice to hear from you all.
As soon as I get my shawl blocked I'll send a picture of it. That's if I can figure out how to send the upload the picture. I'm so used to attaching pics on an email. Take care, and I will find my way again. Hugs to all Dorothy
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1235 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  08:30:43 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dorothy--

Welcome to KR from Northern California. What lovely posts. Your sewing room sounds incredible. I would walk into that room and think I'd been taken to Oz. What an incredible gift from a man that sounds like an incredible, loving husband. I look forward to seeing you post here regularly.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

suzieknits4u
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  10:49:26 PM  Show Profile Send suzieknits4u a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Robin. I will do my best. Yes he certainly was a lovely man. I miss him so much. I have just about finished my first lace shawl and am looking forward to sharing it with everyone. Hugs to all Dorothy

Dorothy J. Atkinson
Go to Top of Page

suzieknits4u
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile Send suzieknits4u a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote a terribly long note but think I posted it in the wrong place. I love forums but get myself lost so much. Than I talk too much. I do apologize for that, I'm trying to keep this short in case my other note did get posted and as I said it's far too long.
I finished my first shawl and it doesn't look too bad. I have a nurse who comes in once a month and she said that she is going to help me block my shawl on Oct. 30th. if I am up to it. I'm knitting the same shawl again because I felt it wouldn't hurt me to do it again because I'm positive I made a couple of errors in one section of it. So, I thought it would be a good idea to do it again just to see what I really learned.
I can't find anyone who will enlarge my section of the next shawl that we are doing in the "Master Lace Shawl" class. Even though the instructor says on the chart that it is ok to do. The stores said that their policy is that it is against' the law to copy any knitting charts or instructions. My son tried doing it on my printer but it didn't work out. It was either too big or too small. I'm going to stop talking now or I would go on forever. Hugs to all Dorothy

Dorothy J. Atkinson
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1235 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  10:56:25 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dorothy--Congratulations on finishing your shawl. It's a long-standing tradition in many cultures to incorporate purposeful mistakes into finished items, so the heavens will know the maker isn't striving for perfection. So, when I make mistakes in my knitted objects (inevitable) I always tell myself the heavens will know I'm not perfect, and Zeus or the Fates or someone won't come down to punish me.

We have a copier at my work that enlarges copies by 1% at a time, so you can be very precise in your enlargements. Perhaps you could call around to some copy stores to see if they have this type of machine? I know what it's like to have a pattern that would be SO much easier to follow if you could just enlarge it. Good luck!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.