Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Deborah Newton's Lace Overlay Cardigan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nantucket
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  09:49:48 AM  Show Profile Send Nantucket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone made this. When you pick up the stitches from the 2 stranded piece (back for example), the pictures I have seem look like you pick up from left to right with right sides facing. This does not seem right?
Any tips would be appreciated!

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  2:06:55 PM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do the directions say? Usually the work progresses from right to left. When I pick up sts I usually hold the piece with the right side up and the edge to have the picked up sts "up" meaning if it is flat on a table that edge is furthest from me. If in fact you are suppose to work from left to right, try holding the work with the right side facing and the edge you are picking up the stitches close to you (the opposite edge should be further away). Try this. Take a piece of paper and hold it like you would to pick up sts. Draw an arrow with the point on the left (pointing from right to left) across the edge that you are pretending to have the sts picked up. Now, turn the piece 180 degrees. The arrow now points to the right! This means you can work from right to left if you hold the knitted piece correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Nantucket
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  5:03:11 PM  Show Profile Send Nantucket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi socks4all :-) Thanks for your reply...what you are saying makes perfect sense...with this cardigan, however, you are picking up stitches 3 rows down from a pattern row across the back of the sweater. After this, you are doing a 3 needle bind off with a separate lace panel and the back...so, you are creating a ridge on the RS..the overlay is on top of the SS back piece...the same is true for the fronts and sleeves...any thoughts??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe