Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hello from a new knitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lisa NB
New Pal

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  04:11:28 AM  Show Profile Send Lisa NB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there, I am Lisa from Australia. I have a husband that works nights and two small children so I have decided to take up knitting to keep myself busy in the evenings. I have only been knitting for a month so still not very confident but really enjoying it. I have made a couple of scarfs and starting to think about my next project. Would really appreciate any suggestions from more experience knitters.

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4157 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  12:45:32 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa and welcome! Scarves are great, perhaps next you could think about a sweater for one of the little ones?

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  3:22:55 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums, Lisa! One thing about KR is that there are knitters with a wide range of experience and we love to encourage new knitters and provide support. There is always someone who can answer a question. Even though I have been knitting for many years, I find others here on the forums inspire me to try new things that I might not have tried otherwise.
judy
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1227 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  09:03:35 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa, from Northern California, U.S. I always feel happy when I hear of someone who's trying knitting for the first time and really liking it. That's what happened to me a few years back, and now I've fallen into the rabbit hole.

I think I went from scarves to simple hats. That taught me to knit in the round and about decreases. Then I took a sock-making class. There are loads of easy, free hat patterns on Ravelry, some with stripes, or more/less shaping. I have a lot of pleasure in hunting my way through Ravelry, looking for projects that require techniques I want to learn. Pick your poison!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  10:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mshark's Homepage Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa, you've found your way to a big group of supportive enablers, eager to help you explore your new hobby! I echo the advice about hats as a next step. Or, you could start to explore scarves with a bit more interesting stitches (drop stitch can be kind of fun ... you actually drop stitches on purpose!) or stripes. Just plunge in and ask for help when you need it!

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

Beatricey1
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  12:07:47 PM  Show Profile Send Beatricey1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa from San Francisco! I am joyous to know I am not alone with knitting needles whenever there is a chance to enjoy this new hobby. I am also new to knitting and just love it. I saw on Ravelry many free patterns that 'look easy'. I am just learning how to knit continental; I am clumsy to say the least, but I still enjoy the challenge. I can't wait to know what you've decided on for your next project.

Best to you and family,

Mari

Beatricey1 on Ravelry
Go to Top of Page

Rwats2
Chatty Knitter

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  6:01:18 PM  Show Profile Send Rwats2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa for the great state of Louisiana. I hope that you will sit back, relax and enjoy yourself. If you have a question, there is always someone who has an answer or solution.

Rebecca
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  9:02:42 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa,

Welcome to Knitters Review Forums.

I too am from Australia, I am in Melbourne, where do you hail from.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1796 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  01:51:19 AM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa ! Welcome to the KR Forums from Baltimore. I am so glad you started knitting.....it is so lovely.

Please keep visiting the site, and telling us what you are knitting now!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

bjclawson
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  08:25:36 AM  Show Profile Send bjclawson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am a long time knitter living in New Mexico. I have a brother 350, a singer 560 (I am just setting up, a brother 940 and have been gifted with a Passap 3000. Obviously, I have too many machines. We have a knitting group here that has been operating for a long time and slowly lost members but have just experienced a renassaince in new knitters.
I joined primarily because when I set up the singer 560, I found it was missing a few parts and I was desparate to find the mylar sheets so I could do pattern knitting.
Even though I have been machine knitting for over 30 years, there is always something new to learn or a better way to do. We have a wonderful teacher who leads our meetings and keeps us on our toes learning or relearning. I hope to learn from you and share what I know. thanks........Beckie

beckie clawson
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1227 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  08:59:42 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Becky, welcome to KR from San Francisco. We're very happy to have another machine knitter on the site. I'm not one of them (yet)--probably because in the past three years I've started learning to knit, spin, process fleece, sew, and quilt, and I kinda have my hands full. I hope you get your mylar sheets question answered, and find the site valuable.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Carolm7323
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  10:19:22 AM  Show Profile Send Carolm7323 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa. When I got back into knitting I did a series of dish cloths. I bought a book of diff designs and cotton yarn from a craft store. This really helped me follow a pattern and learn diff stitches. Also, they are quick and if not perfect who cares.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe