Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Shawls, Scarves, Ponchos
 Open sides pullover pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  12:11:44 PM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a pattern for a pullover that I saw at a festival this past weekend. It had open sides and it just pulled over the head and had sleeves. It was not flared out as a poncho but straight over the hips. I poured over Ravelry patterns and couldn't find anything like what I saw. Has anyone had any experience with this type of pattern?

Sue

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  12:57:29 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm not picturing it correctly but couldn't you just knit a top down sweater down to where you join the underarms (putting the sleeve stitches on waste yarn), work however many rows you want just to connect the front and back and then work the front and back separately until you have the length you want. Then pick up the sleeves and knit them down. Might be worth a try.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  2:51:03 PM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Azblue. If there is no such pattern, I will definitely follow what you have written. I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2758 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  3:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll want to look up a tabard pattern. : )

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1857 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  10:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you take a snapshot of it? Would love to see!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  05:17:25 AM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh Rachel, that gets me closer! Thank you. I never heard of "tabard" before. Lots to work with in those patterns. And Ceil, no I regretfully didn't take a photo of it.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  07:44:27 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Camden by Jacqui Harding? It is in Issue 63 of The Knitter, a UK magazine which I subscribe to digitally.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/camden-4

Debra
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  08:29:15 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, searching "tabard" on Rav sure brings up some interesting designs.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  09:54:30 AM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what ladies? I think I'm being too specific as to the pattern I need. I've seen the ones under "tabard" on Rav but none of them nail the pullover tunic that we saw at that fall festival. I've been knitting for over 40 years, but am not a good adapter - for example I just want a plain stockinette stitch for the body and the Ravelry patterns are cables, lace, etc. and I don't know what plain stitchwork would do to the sizing when using a pattern with different stitches as my working pattern. Know what I mean?

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  10:12:48 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two possibilities both from www.knittingpureandsimple.com. These patterns are knit top-down, you can try on as you go.
http://knittingpureandsimple.com/products-page/newest-patterns/128-top-down-trapeze-pullover/
http://knittingpureandsimple.com/products-page/women/244-neck-down-hooded-tunic-for-women/
You could leave off the hoodie in the second pattern.
Ravery link
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/-244-neck-down-hooded-tunic-for-women
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  11:55:51 AM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Deborah. Those are very good possibilities to work from! I think the simple trapeze pullover would work the best. I'll have to figure out how to add a cozy cowl collar and I may be there!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  06:50:15 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made many Knitting Pure & Simple Top-Down patterns and have always been pleased with the results.
One other option, if you are feeling the tiniest bit brave is to redesign a sweater from Ann Budd's top- down sweater book. I took a quick look and some folks have knit Ann Budd patterns altered to tunic length.
http://www.annbuddknits.com/books/knitters-handy-book-of-top-down-sweaters/
There is a group on Ravelry for Ann's patterns called Budd's Buds. She seems to check it almost daily and answers questions about her patterns promptly. .
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/budds-buds
I look froward to seeing your project!

Debra
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  07:28:59 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also love KP&S top-down patterns and Knitting From the Top (Barbara Walker) is also another good resource for designing your own (I also have the Ann Budd book...can never have too many books!).

I'm knitting a top-down that I converted to an A-line (or trapeze) shaped sweater just by measuring from the underarm to the length I wanted and then using my row gauge to figure out how many rows that would equal. Then I was able to calculate how many increases I would have to make on each side "seam" to reach the diameter I wanted around my hips (on this particular sweater it worked out to 2 increases each side every 5 rows which will give me a very loose fit so I can layer if I want or be very comfortable!

Actually, this is turning out to be my favorite type of sweater (looks very similar to the KP&S trapeze sweater). I don't like them snug around my hips but I do like a longer length - so if my sweater is snug and long it accentuates my backside and I don't want to draw attention to that! I think it would work out great for an open-sided pullover, too.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  07:45:03 AM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azblue, I looked up the Trapeze sweaters on Ravelry and the #128 KP&S sweater shows the simplicity that I want, though I want a
cowl-ish collar and I'd make the sleeves full-length. It wouldn't be hard to open the sides. You all have been great. I think I'm almost there!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  09:01:50 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen this Knitting Pure and Simple Cowl Neck Tunic? It sounds like exactly what you want.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/watermark/neck-down-cowl-collar-pullover-291
On Ravelry look at rav member watermark's finished tunic.
I look forward to seeing yours.

Debra
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.