Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 My Intro
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dickens
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  02:07:48 AM  Show Profile Send Dickens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember knitting a pair of mittens when I was 6 or 7. Mama told me how to cast on. She didn't have much trouble teaching me because I always wanted to do what she was doing, especially her crafts. She sewed, crocheted and knitted and I do all three.

The joy of my old age is knitting socks.

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  1:18:48 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to KR, Dickens, from northern California. Sounds like you have some lovely memories of your mama.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Dickens
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  03:00:39 AM  Show Profile Send Dickens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think of both of my parents almost every day. Daddy taught me my numbers, the alphabet and how to read and Mama taught me the basics of sewing, crochet, knitting and cooking. She did what she called 'plain' knitting and had all the instructions in her head. I was in my 40s when she told me she'd been jealous of the way I could pick up a hook or needles and a few minutes later something really pretty would start to fall from under my hands. I explained how to finish the bobble I was making and told her to finish it so I could go start supper. She finished the Aran hat and couldn't believe doing 'fancy' knitting was so easy. I sent her home with a Hefty lawn bag of yarn, a couple books and some needles and that's why every time I learn a new technique, I wish she was with me.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  1:14:50 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums, from Maine! Hope you enjoy the fun!
judy
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  4:41:53 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a really sweet story, Dickens. Sounds like you gave her something really special right back, for all the wonderful things she shared with you. My daddy taught me how to read, too. I remember sitting on his lap while he read aloud to me and pointed to each word. I remember writing capital "R"s on a manila envelope when I was 3 year old. (I remember being jealous of my sister Wendy, cause she had that "W" and it was so much easier than that looooong curve on the "R". Kids!)

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Dickens
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  1:07:40 PM  Show Profile Send Dickens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've yet to figure out how to access the page that has talks about socks. I'm almost finished with a pair I made with some yarn that was given to me a couple years ago. I really like the way it knits up - Schachennayr's Extra Merino - 100% New Wool. I drove over to WEBS in Northampton after my Osteo class this AM only to learn that the clerk didn't recognize it. I intend to google it to see if I can find the price and learn more about colors. I'm going to knit socks for my nephew's size 15 foot! I want to use a 12" circular needle so will be asking questions about needle size and how many stitches. I'm thinking my 2.5mm needle and roughly 72 stitches.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe