Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Introductions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unclejoey
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  04:55:03 AM  Show Profile Send unclejoey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. My name is Joe and I've been knitting for almost 30 years. Most of those years I have been knitting as a front line defense to a serious mental illness. I credit knitting as much as medication and much more than any talk therapy in keeping me stable. I learned to knit in college when I picked up a copy of EZ's "Knitting without Tears" from the college bookstore for the incredible deal price of $1.00. I consider that the most useful single dollar I have ever spent. I like to knit sweaters and accessories for myself, family and friends. I consider myself an advanced knitter. Hoping to find good knitting camaraderie here.

socks4all
Permanent Resident

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  05:23:16 AM  Show Profile Send socks4all a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to KR. Knitting is both mentally stimulating, and calming at the same time. That is why I try to fit in a little every day. Wow, an EZ book for $1. That is a treasure. She was, and still is, a source of inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

unclejoey
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  08:21:37 AM  Show Profile Send unclejoey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome! I totally agree with you about EZ. My first sweater was a bottom-up raglan from that book. It gave me the confidence to continue and really sealed the deal.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1740 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  8:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll have fun here. This is a relatively small group of folks,and I love asking and answering questions here.

Welcome!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

unclejoey
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  07:53:21 AM  Show Profile Send unclejoey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ceil. From what I have read so far, this is a welcoming, supportive group. I am jealous, however, of the person who has finished their Christmas knitting and is looking forward to next Christmas. You know who you are. LOL. I've got two scarves on the needles right now. One is the Walker Scarf from the holiday gifts issue from Interweave. It's being made in a lovely, moody blue called Dr. Zhivago's Sky from Madelinetosh Worsted. The other is a knot stitch scarf in dark gray that is a little hard on the old wrists. I have to keep reminding myself to keep it loose. It will be very warm.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

761 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  06:47:36 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unclejoey, Welcome here from Chicago. Don't feel bad about Christmas knitting. I never finish, I have a box that I put my finish projects in and I never seem to have enough. Its that one person that's sees something you knitted for somebody else that will say where is mine. Last year I made a afghan and many socks, hats, slippers. I will say I love to see my work on so many people. So Happy Knitting Donna
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  07:00:59 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome! Always good to see more guys knitting, especially those who have ben knitting a long while!

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  06:05:03 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Uncle Joey,
Welcome! I love that you found your way to knitting to help your self. I would love to see some of your projects. I have arthritis and knitting is good for my hands and my mind.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

unclejoey
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2013 :  12:17:14 PM  Show Profile Send unclejoey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, MMario and Debra and thanks for the welcomes. MMario, how long have you been knitting? It is good to see guys knitting! The only knitting friend I have is a female acquaintance, and that's great, but sometimes I need a male perspective.

I have arthritis, too, Debra. Mostly in my back, but also a little in the hands and wrists. Knitting definitely keeps them moving and less painful. Now if I could figure out how to knit on the treadmill.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  01:19:19 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting on the treadmill sounds a lot like knitting in the bathtub, which is what I'd like to figure out. It's just a little too wet! Welcome to KR, from Northern California. Like MMario says, nice to have more guys knitting. I wish there were more of ya.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  06:09:38 AM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting in a swimming pool would be true bliss, soothing my joints and keeping up with my WIP's!
See what you started Uncle Joey:-D

Debra
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  08:38:27 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been knitting for fifty-mumble years, but it did take me over 40 to learn how to purl.

There are quite a few guys knitting on Ravelry, or at www.menwhoknit.com
I'm MMario on both those sites as well.
and almost every area of the country (USA) is now hosting an annual men's knitting retreat (different times of years for the differing regions)

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2661 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  1:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Joey. You can have no better knitting teacher than EZ, what a great start that $1 investment gave you. I once found a Barbara Walker treasury at a used book store for about the same, and my copy of Knitting in America came from a garage sale for $0.25, but after I'd been knitting a long time and knew what to look for.

Luann, who is now pondering the concept of "hot-tub knitting."

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by