Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Knitter's Keep
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  06:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks like a great little gadget -- but it's expensive, likely given that it's stuffed with goodies, assuming that one doesn't own them already. I am an embroiderer, too, so it would be handy for keeping tapestry needles in place (and easier than having a magnet attached to one's hoop or fabric, where it can get in the way of the work). I wonder if she'd think about selling them without the added markers and needles, at a significantly lower price?

TLWKOTB
http://www.margaretblank.com

mstutzmn
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  06:43:08 AM  Show Profile Send mstutzmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if it's strong enough to hold a small pair of scissors?

Go to Top of Page

MKLR
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  09:20:00 AM  Show Profile Send MKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this in person a couple weeks ago. Very well made and the everything that is included looks like it is high quality. Great idea and cocoknits couldn't be nicer.
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  09:47:46 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Margaret, I'm with you: it's expensive, especially for something made in China. Most of my markers are plastic and my cable needles are wood. (Cable needle usually ends up in my bra between cables. I know: TMI.)

Could the price have been lowered a bit by leaving out the round tub? Not putting all the accoutrements in separate envelopes? Omitting the bag? Personally, I'd like just the bracelet because, if I were to buy this - which at $40 I highly doubt - I probably would use it more when I'm sewing. It would be a huge improvement over those pin cushions you wear on your wrist. I've stuck myself so many times, sewing whilst trying to put the pin in the cushion. And my husband says it's impossible to multitask because you can't pay attention...

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  10:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most sewing machines these days are electronic and probably a wrist magnet used while sewing would cause some problems. At least, I've always been told to keep magnets away from electronic machines, and my sewing machine was too expensive for me to test it!

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  12:32:42 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheila, my machine isn't electronic. It has this thingy near the floor that you put your feet on and push them up and down to make the needle go and the feed dog feed. Joking aside - although I do have a treadle machine that works - my sewing machine is about 30 years old. No computer in it at all.
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  1:20:01 PM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would buy it for $20. Maaaybe $25., but $40 is way too high. I already have stitch markers (plastic) sewing needle, etc
The Stitch Light was at first priced at $50, later lowered to $25,(shipping included)
http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/110901_a.asp
http://buffyanndesigns.auctivacommerce.com/Stitch-Light-C272978.aspx?sid=17758
Go to Top of Page

knittingewe
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  11:01:09 AM  Show Profile Send knittingewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most, if not all, of my accessories used for knitting are plastic so this definitely is not for me. The idea is cool but at $40, it's too steep for me. I'm sure someone out there will sell these at a more reasonable price. Heck, if I really wanted it, I'd probably make one myself.

Jenny

So Much Yarn, So Little Time...
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  12:13:07 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto, Jenny.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

karel.swift@gmail.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2013 :  10:04:59 AM  Show Profile Send karel.swift@gmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't resist and got this -- and I love it. I know the price seems high, but all of the components are really well-made. The very thin stitch markers are way nicer than my plastic ones.

Right now I'm working on a sweater with a decrease every fourth row (fuzzy yarn making stitches hard to read.). It's so easy to add a marker and then just slip it back on the magnet, instead of putting it down and then hunting for it -- my usual practice.

Highly recommend, and it would make a great gift!

Nuff
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2013 :  6:07:48 PM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too failed to resist the tempatation and am really pleased I went for it. It works REALLY well, super convenient, no more markers bouncing all over the place or cable needles with teeth marks! The markers and cable needles are the nicest I've ever used. True, it is not inexpensive. But given how much I invest in yarn and how much of my time I invest in knitting, I like to use the best tools I can. Might or might not make me a better knitter, but sure makes me a happier knitter!

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  2:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked Santa and if I am a good knitter, I might get it at Christmas...

For Marg and other embroiderers, I would recommend this ring. I use it for embroidery and hand sewing, it is both cute and functional. Not the most affordable but they are made individually in the US by a fellow crafter.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/madeinlowell?section_id=5177809
Go to Top of Page

carol@cfmdesigns.net
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  11:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit carol@cfmdesigns.net's Homepage Send carol@cfmdesigns.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto Chris and Knittingewe. The things I drop are all plastic, wood, aluminum . . . I do use a very strong magnet to gather pins and to separate steel tumbling shot from jump rings . . . but not for knitting.

CFM Designs
"It's All About the Pretty"
http://cfmdesigns.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by