Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 An Old 1966 Christmas Stocking Pattern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmkorpi
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  8:57:08 PM  Show Profile Send dmkorpi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 1966 my mother made all nine members of my immediate family Christmas stockings from a pattern that she had found in the Women's Day December, 1966 issue. As new members joined the family she would always make them a new stocking. At one point she made copies of the pattern, and gave them to the knitters in the family, so they could also make the stockings for their growing families.

Fast forward to December 2013. Recently my sister asked me if I still had my copy of the Christmas stocking pattern. She wanted it to make a stocking for her youngest son's fiancee. I couldn't recall where my copy had gotten to, I figured I had either lost or tossed it. Seemed that all the copies my mother had made were either lost or tossed also. I looked online to see if I could maybe find it there, no luck. Yesterday I decided to look through some old paperwork on the chance it might have gotten mixed in. There it was, a little worn but still legible.

The reason I'm here is to respond to this 2005 thread on "How to find an old pattern?" http://bit.ly/1fnSfKE Sadly the people posting are no longer active in this forum, so I wont be able to contact the threads author to let her know I have the pattern she is looking for.

I've decided to post the pattern here anyway. It needs to be pulled out of the past and made available to all you 21st century knitters.

I think this is the most beautiful Christmas stocking ever. I've always loved my stocking because it's extra big, so it's able to hold many yummy Christmas goodies. I'm hopeful that whoever makes this stocking will love making it, and will enjoy it through the years as much as my family have enjoyed ours.

Women's Day December, 1966 issue
Stockings to knit: http://bit.ly/18BSF0S

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1795 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  8:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm confused. I don't see where the pattern is? And the link at the bottom of the post doesn't work. I'd love to see this. Thanks.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

dmkorpi
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  10:04:13 PM  Show Profile Send dmkorpi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that!!! I wan't able to post a clear picture, so I had to go with a link. Here's a new link.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s257/sh/9342d765-1099-4aff-9b43-e53620b35cdb/7d96828d14edb565be03c4c99bfc526c

Do a "right key click", then clink on "Open image in new tab". You should be able to magnify the pattern to get a better view of it. Or you can hit "save image as" and copy it to your computer.

Hope this works. If not, let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1795 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2013 :  10:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks! They do look interesting! I'm looking at it on my iPad right now and will hope saving to my PC work well.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2390 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2013 :  07:36:21 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2013 :  9:15:48 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

They look really amazing and I can't believe how many have been made, I wonder if its a record for the one pattern being used so much.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

jrpalermo
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  07:58:15 AM  Show Profile Send jrpalermo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've knitted Christmas stockings for my children using a KnitPicks pattern that some of you might like. You can see it here: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jeanne-p/modern-classics-christmas-stockings-kit-3

This is a link to my Ravelry projects where my name is jeanne-p.
I love this pattern (actually there are two patterns to choose from or to interchange parts of.) It's not terribly huge but you could make larger stockings by using heavier yarn and going up in needle size....
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  3:52:37 PM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How I loved Woman's Day magazine in the 1960s! Full of inspiring projects to make! I made lots of soft toys for my children from their patterns; sewing was more my "thing" in those days.
Go to Top of Page

BNSknits
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  11:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit BNSknits's Homepage Send BNSknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link!

Barbara in N TX
Go to Top of Page

knitpic
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  05:49:16 AM  Show Profile Send knitpic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmkorpi

Sorry about that!!!
-
Hope this works. If not, let me know.

Thank you, very nice!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page