Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 New year resolution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nittinnut
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  07:15:25 AM  Show Profile Send nittinnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I live in central Michigan. I knit for my husband, dog, grand daughter, friends, and, mostly for myself. Three years ago I picked up needles for the first time and haven't stopped knitting since.

My New Years resolution is to buy only yarn grown and processed in the US. So if you have suggestions about great sweater yarn, give a shout out.

Your purl friend
Linda

jrpalermo
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  07:30:57 AM  Show Profile Send jrpalermo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Linda,
Some yarns to check out; Quince & Company, and Brooklyn Tweed. If you are a fan of undyed colors ranging from white through dk greys and browns, my favorite yarns are from Elsa Wool Company. The wool is amazingly springy and "woolly"....love it. Good luck. Jeanne
Go to Top of Page

sockjoan
Warming Up

Australia
61 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  3:56:45 PM  Show Profile Send sockjoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good resolution for Americans. We could broaden it to a "buy local" resolution; I'm Australian, and we have far less choice here...
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  1:39:52 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Linda, welcome to KR from northern California. Verb for Keeping Warm has recently launched Pioneer, an organic Merino raised, milled, and naturally dyed in the United States. I haven't knitted with it, but I hear it's glorious. It comes in some incredible colors:

http://www.averbforkeepingwarm.com/products/pioneer

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

nittinnut
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  2:48:46 PM  Show Profile Send nittinnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quince and Brooklyn are on my radar. Verb for Keeping Warm looks inviting. It's nice to have the seasons covered from Quince linen to Brooklyn and Warm wools.
My LYS got a little defensive when I mentioned my resolution. LYS carries local spun and died but not sourced. To continue to support local LYS I may have to occasionally broaden my resolution.
Thanks for all the good ideas.
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  04:53:26 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Nittinnut. Big Wave from Chicago, I've ordered from Quince and Brooklyn. Its nice yarn and fast service. Thanks for the heads up Robinsteph, Im on a yarn diet now until I knit up some of my stash. Donna
Go to Top of Page

nittinnut
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  07:13:22 AM  Show Profile Send nittinnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donnawatk

Hi Nittinnut. Big Wave from Chicago, I've ordered from Quince and Brooklyn. Its nice yarn and fast service. Thanks for the heads up Robinsteph, Im on a yarn diet now until I knit up some of my stash. Donna

My googling skills must be frozen because I couldn't find big wave in Chicago. Any help is appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  09:35:21 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara reminded me of Pioneer in her year-in-review article. Just thinking about it makes me want to run over the bridge and get some.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  07:46:32 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Nittinnut, My big wave is frozen to, but this is my kind of weather. Its been cold here and I have been stuck in the house loving it all getting a lot of knitting done.Donna
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  09:46:09 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hi Nittinnut. Big Wave from Chicago,

Nittinut, she just means Hi and sends a wave to you! It's not a yarn (sounds like you thought it was a yarn name, right?) I was confused for a while thinking, what the heck is a big wave in Chicago and why is it frozen?

Anyway, I think Big Wave is a great name for a yarn! It sounds really real.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

nittinnut
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  10:03:09 AM  Show Profile Send nittinnut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

quote:
Hi Nittinnut. Big Wave from Chicago,

Nittinut, she just means Hi and sends a wave to you! It's not a yarn (sounds like you thought it was a yarn name, right?) I was confused for a while thinking, what the heck is a big wave in Chicago and why is it frozen?

Anyway, I think Big Wave is a great name for a yarn! It sounds really real.

Robinsteph

THIS IS ME EMBARRASSED

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  10:06:30 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
THIS IS ME EMBARRASSED

You are just really yarn focused, you know? You're a knitter! It's what we do.

Robinsteph

Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robinstephanie, I thought she was just cold. I didn't think yarn. Its cold in Chicago and I'm the only person I know that likes it. Donna
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1845 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  2:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Nature Spun from Brown Sheep Yarn Company? Their lambs pride yarn tends to pill, but I don't think this one will. And Nature Spun is great for felting; it felts in my washer in five minutes!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1688 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2014 :  2:12:16 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums from Maine! HOpe you enjoy the support and knitting inspiration found here.
Judy
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1845 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2014 :  10:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just figured out what my resolution is for 2014: I am still writing books (newly published again last Oct.), but I decided that I need a lot more down time than I gave myself last year. So I am going to try to stick to a 9-5 work day so that I can cook as well as knit some in the evenings, and then shut my computer down on the weekends and get a change of pace, which means knitting hiking or anything. I made Swedish limpe bread for a friend over this weekend, and probably did more knitting than I can stand(!), but pulling away from my work feels good and will hopefully offer a fresh perspective tomorrow. Last year I worked too many 12-14-hour days. Don't want to do that any more. I do think I can pace myself, even if the next book takes a little longer. But I still hope to have it published this year.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

kkknitter
Seriously Hooked

699 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  05:44:54 AM  Show Profile Send kkknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same resolution as last year.........to finish all the sock projects I started during 2013.

Kristina
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?