Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 General News and Announcements
 Poncho by Bergere de France . Problem solved!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knit whit99
New Pal

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  03:03:34 AM  Show Profile Send Knit whit99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Message for all who kindly tried to help with the Aran poncho. Some of you wanted to knit it too.
I received a reply to my enquiry about this from Berger de France today. It is indeed a mistake in the instructions. The ' To Make' instructions for the two smaller panels is an error. It belongs to an entirely different pattern and it is to be ignored. Follow the instructions To Make Up:

I hope you find this message before starting the poncho.

Best Wishes

Knit whit99

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1803 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  12:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's quite it he disaster, isn't it?! I'll bet you're glad you got an answer from the source!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

emmyc
Chatty Knitter

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  1:03:04 PM  Show Profile Send emmyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks! Now I might have to knit that ponchos!

emmyc
winchester ma
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  1:56:22 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ordered the pattern last week (we are talking about the cabled poncho with cuffs, right?) but am confused as to where the error is, or maybe they've updated the pattern to correct the mistake. I want to make one for my daughter and one for my 4-year old granddaughter, although she'll probably be much older by the time I get around to it. I'd like to make it top down in the round so will have to rewrite the pattern. I'd also like to rework the collar...I'd like to work it so it can be buttoned up or left turned down at one of the shoulders or maybe even both.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

Knit whit99
New Pal

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  2:55:16 PM  Show Profile Send Knit whit99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Azblueskies. If you are meaning the Bergere de France Poncho that is not clear to you where the error is; The pattern states to begin knitting two large panels. These belong to a completely different pattern altogether. Ignore the instructions for these and begin to knit from the heading : 'To make uo'.
I am not sure how you intend to adapt but wish you well because I am going WTO have a headache knitting it as per the pattern. You are obviously far more competent than I !

Hope all is clear now anyway.

Best wishes.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  07:32:40 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We must be talking about two different patterns, knit whit99. The one I have is Ref 286.57 and I don't see any reference to begin knitting two large panels. Under To Make, there's Part 1 (front or back since there are side seams) then there's Part 2 which is worked the same as Part 1 and then Parts 1 and 2 are placed on the same needle to work the Yoke and Collar. I'm just getting familiar with the pattern at the moment and will reverse the instructions to work from top down, increasing where the original pattern tells me to decrease and working the whole thing in the round. I'm sure I'll have questions but I saw a group at Ravelry who have done the same so I'm sure I'll be able to get some help. And if I can't figure it out, I can always revert to the original I'd love to see photos of your finished poncho...I'm sure it will be beautiful.

azblue
Go to Top of Page

Knit whit99
New Pal

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  11:24:03 AM  Show Profile Send Knit whit99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, yes you are right. We are talking two different Ponchos. The one I am attempting to knit is from Irish Knits by Bergere de France. It is quite stunning. I have never knitted Aran before and I have not chosen a good colour to see where I am going with it . Chocolate 'peaty brown'. Plus with 183 sts on the needle it will bw quite daunting until several inches have dropped down. Stitch markers are a God send too.

I have seen the one you are going to knit and it is very nice too. I suffer from a rare autoimmune disease which causes my body to over-react to cold. Some of us lose digits and I would hate to lose the ability to use my hands to knit. So, in short, I relish extremely warm clothes to help me through the winters. But I think my Poncho will not be in use until next winter somehow!

Happy knitting.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  12:08:59 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that clears up the mystery! I'm going to bet that your pattern is much more involved than the one I have. And now I'm off to find a picture of it :) Keep us up to date on your progress.

azblue
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe