Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 New to Forum But Not Knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RSC
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  11:46:09 AM  Show Profile Send RSC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, everyone. I have been knitting since I was about five years old and am now over 60. My father's job with NSA moved us to England for 3 1/2 years, where I began school, at age five, and I also learned to knit. I have been knitting off and on ever since. I was born in middle Tennessee, grew up (except for England) in Laurel, Maryland, and married in my home town and have been here since 1972. I love knitting almost more than reading, which is my #1 hobby. I am pleased and honored to join your group and hope to learn more about knitting, as I don't think you ever know everything. At least, I certainly don't. I don't want to vegetate, so I really do love learning more about knitting. I can remember many, many years living in Tennessee where no one hardly knew what knitting was and thought I was some kind of magician. ha. Finally, Nashville opened a knitting store, and I thought I was in heaven after only being able to find brands like Red Heart. So lovely to be able to get anything you desire now on the internet!

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  04:43:42 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi RSC, Big wave from Chicago. I love knitting to, I'm always looking for something new to learn. My favorite place to hang out was my local knit store. I remember when I first saw cables I thought the lady that was doing it was a magician. Donna
Go to Top of Page

RSC
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  07:02:42 AM  Show Profile Send RSC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember the first time I completed a cable pattern correctly. I thought I was a magician. ha. I have just been working on a hat for my grand daughter using two colors. One thing I have never done on an actual garment is Intarsia. I am fascinated by the beautiful colors used and how they are used within the design. However, they mostly seem to be used on gloves and socks these days, which I don't knit, because people don't like wool socks or gloves here in Tennessee. Currently, I am looking for a baby outfit, as my aunt is having her third great-grandchild. Lucky thing, her.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  09:39:27 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey RSC, welcome to KR. Sounds like you have an interesting history. I know what you mean by knitting magic, I totally felt that the first time I turned a heel on a sock. Here's a cute baby outfit, as a suggestion:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&query=lauren%20riker%20owl

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

RSC
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  04:51:11 AM  Show Profile Send RSC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. That is always appreciated. I have been looking at Oat Couture and may have found what I want. I am awaiting approval of the great-grandmother to be. I like a baby outfits to be a little more traditional, after all I'm 60. ha. I do love a lot of Debbie Bliss and I have one of her books. There are just so many things to love these days.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1256 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There *are* so many things to love these days, that's a good way to put it. Glad you're winnowing it down. A handknitting anything is a fabulous gift!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

RSC
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  10:52:37 AM  Show Profile Send RSC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am awaiting my aunt's approval, then I'll order what I need. I got a very generous gift from my son to KnitPicks, which I like, and I finally bought a swift, not the umbrella, the Amish style. I read so many reviews of umbrellas having breakage problems that I decided simple was best. Anxious to try it, but it'll be awhile. And, yes, it seems people genuinely love to get a hand-knitted gift.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2014 :  12:36:02 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, RSC. Welcome to The KR from San Diego, CA. Isn't the web an amazing addition to the life of a knitter? Knitting practically died in the 1980s. I'm just starting back to knitting again after giving my hands a proper rest, almost 18 months, I reckon. Too much computer and too much weight training.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Go to Top of Page

RSC
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2014 :  2:45:45 PM  Show Profile Send RSC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, CA. Knitting was dead in TN from the 70's almost to the 90's. It was almost impossible to find any decent, real wool. Red Heart was about it, and that isn't saying much to me, anyway. I stopped knitting for over a year also. I had thyroid and depression problems, which, thankfully have gone now and I am knitting again. Getting ready to start and Oat Couture (love that name), for a baby coming in February in my extended family. Love knitting baby things.
Go to Top of Page

jtamsn
Permanent Resident

USA
1684 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2014 :  1:56:13 PM  Show Profile Send jtamsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums, from Maine! Hope you enjoy all that KR has to offer. Lots of knitting support and inspiration.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe