Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 BO for sleeve cuff
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  11:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost done with the first sleeve, using k2 p2 rib. What recommendations are out there for binding off? I like Kitchener finish for k1p1, but it's tighter for k2p2.

Thanks!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2752 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  04:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might just go up a needle size or two at the bind off. It will help keep it from being too tight.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  07:19:10 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been using Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind off.....check Knitty for instructions if interested, Ceil.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page

ak
Warming Up

92 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  07:28:21 AM  Show Profile Send ak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always bind off 3 needle sizes larger, but I do it rather tightly (not deliberately, but naturally), so it comes out very nicely in the end. It's easier for me to be a bit tight on larger needles than to be loose (in a consistent way) on the size I've knit with.
Go to Top of Page

unclejoey
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  07:48:58 AM  Show Profile Send unclejoey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also used Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind off. It lives up to its billing, although it's somewhat time-consuming. There are two extra steps per stitch to be bound off. I used it for all the binding off of a top-down raglan and it was great.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  2:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have looked around YouTube's knitting videos, and am leery about Jeny's bind off, for two reasons: First, the cuff doesn't need that much stretch. Second, and more importantly, the bind-off edge looks too loose for it to hold up at a wrist that winds up on tables, desks, etc. This edge on a sock would be far less subject to wearing out. But overall, it also looks loose enough to catch on something that will pull it out of shape. Maybe it's best for a shawl?

So I think I will go up a couple of needle sizes and work the bind-off that way, to make sure that it's firm.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe