Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Madelinetosh Tosh Chunky (Superwash Merino)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1859 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  11:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The color is Tart, and it's gorgeous. I have only now just cast on, and it feels good. This is,IMHO, a pricey yarn, one of the few that I've paid full price for (because shipments are few and far between and the stuff sells out almost as soon as it arrives).

I bought this yarn a year ago and finally have time do something with it. I'll duplicate a vest I designed, but the numbers will all change because the gauge is different. Can't wait. To see how this will turn out!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

ak
Warming Up

92 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  07:56:40 AM  Show Profile Send ak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is beautiful yarn! And I think Tart is a beautiful color choice. I was reading that it has no dye lots, etc., and that each skein is unique. I'll be interested to hear if that affects the appearance of your vest, which will likely require more than one skein. I know with some of these yarns, knitters will mitigate the effect by working 2 balls at the same time: first row with ball one, 2nd row with ball two, 3rd row with ball one. Thank you for calling my attention to this lovely yarn!
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1859 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  10:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just knitted a swatch, which is soaking now. Within a minute, the red Tart began to bleed! The skeins still smell like vinegar, as they did when I purchased them a year ago; you'd think there would be enough vinegar in there to prevent bleeding. (How come Kool-Aid red doesn't bleed?)

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should give all the skeins a soak to get some of the dye out before I start knitting?

On the flip side, the yarn is easy to knit.

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  04:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used lighter weight MadelineTosh yarns for shawls and scarves, and the more intense colors do bleed a bit, but it's never a problem. And in my experience, reds are more prone to it than other colors. I'd go ahead and cast on and wash the vest when it's all finished, because I'm sure I wouldn't be able to stand the wait!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  3:59:19 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently finished a cardigan in the tart colorway and love the results. I did have to rinse it 3 times before it stopped leaking color.

Carol, Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1859 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  9:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the good advice. The swatch didn't bleed a lot, thankfully.

I've got all numbers together and am ready to cast on! Time to do it to it!

Ceil
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  9:58:47 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used Toshy Chunky recently in a gorgeous deep green (Forestry). It bled so much that my wooden needles and my hands turned totally green. I even had green lines across my fingers where I tensioned the yarn. And yes, it reeked of vinegar. When I tried to soak the garment (a baby sweater), I could not get it to stop bleeding. I finally emailed MadelineTosh and they gave me some instructions for setting the dye. I think it involved hot water (the yarn is super wash so I didn't have to worry about felting), and after two iterations, the bleeding finally got to an acceptable level. It's a gorgeous, lovely yarn, but I will hesitate before using it in a deep colorway again.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe