Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Pattern Grievance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ClareNC
Permanent Resident

1235 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  3:52:53 PM  Show Profile Send ClareNC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a knitting break for a while, mostly due to little grandson living with us and being into everything, plus working a 50 hour week. Now I am back into my hobby. I have 2, year old grandaughters and two more expected this summer and have seen so many lovely patterns for little dresses, cardi's and jackets. BUT, they are all on circular or DPN's. What happened to knitting with conventional needles? What are us older knitters supposed to do? I have tried both these ways and can knit like that but I PREFER 2 old fashioned needles. Anyone know a pattern designer whose work is the traditional way? I have scoured Ebay and not just in the USA (as I am from the UK), Pinterest, Etsy, Google. I can't find any! I started to look for Vintage patterns. The fashions for little girls in the 50's-70s are quite sweet but the dress length is short! I am sure I could lengthen it though if only I could get hold of some. Does anyone else have this problem or am I just behind the times?

lucybug
Chatty Knitter

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  5:38:51 PM  Show Profile Send lucybug a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried any of Sally Melville's patterns? I took a class from her a couple of years ago and she has a very strong opinion about not knitting in the round. Her theory -- and it make sense -- is that when you buy a garmet unless it is an inexpeinsive tee shirt it ALWAYS has side seams to give it structure.

I do like using conventional straight needles and have quite a collection but will use circs if I know I'm going to be knitting on a plane or if I'm making something like a baby blanket that has 100+ stitches. However, I also like making sweaters in the round. It feels like they knit up faster and it's nice to not have to sew those pesky seams that give the garmet structure.

The Sally Melville books have some really nice patterns plus they are wonderful reference books. You can get them pretty much anywhere -- there's one on just the knit stich (no purling on any of the patterns), another on the purl stitch that has both knit and purl and a book on color.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2605 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2014 :  8:09:28 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find that Rowan, Debbie Bliss, and Patons patterns are mostly knit flat and seamed. Patons are available in leaflets so are not a large investment. If you can find old Pinguin children's patterns, they are darling and also knit flat and seamed. All of these should be available in the UK yarn shops. Good luck!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  07:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clare, did you check Ravelry? I just did a quick search for baby and toddler clothing, and specified that it be worked flat rather than in the round ... and there were LOTS of patterns. I did NOT look at them in detail, but did see many, many that said they are worked flat rather than in the round, which I would SUPPOSE means suitable for straight needles.

I, too, stick to seams for lots of things, just because of the added structure/strength factor, especially on larger garments.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  10:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Donna -- Ravelry can help you narrow your search so you'll find just what you want. And as an aside, I guess I could be considered an "older" knitter, but I'm always learning. Circulars and DPNs suit my knitting style and are more comfortable for me, so that's what I prefer. Straight needles haven't gone by the wayside—they're just one of the many tools available to all of us!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Go to Top of Page

ClareNC
Permanent Resident

1235 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  3:46:54 PM  Show Profile Send ClareNC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your tips and I shall check them out. I did email a designer on Ebay UK and all her patterns are "flat". She has some gorgeous outfits for babies or reborns that I'd like to give a try, albeit a bit pricey in dollars. I shall also be checking the UK yarn shops when I go back in July.
It may be that only the USA has been over run by the circular knitters. I know they are easier when knitting a blanket or flared dress, I can just knit quicker on 2 needles as that's what I learnt with.
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2074 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  6:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Clare, I hope that the suggestions from folks have been helpful. I am in agreement w/Jane - there are always new tools that can make our knitting soar.

While I started w/straight needles. I am grateful for the person at my old LYS who suggested citcs. I think that what it comes to is this: work with what you like. There is lots of lettuce for all of us bunnies & knitting is the bottom line, not what we use to do it.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1842 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  9:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heavens, he last thing I want to do is sew seams! The phony seam does work well.

On he flip side, when I teach Combination knitting, I would rather have everyone use straight needles, as they help knitters understand arm movement in knitting, something that circ tips do not express so well.

As you will.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe