Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Need CO help, please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
543 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  06:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last night I cast on for Vickie Howell's Long Distance Shawlette in my latest issue of KnitSimple. With each new repeat, this pattern calls for casting on 10 additional stitches at on each side of the beginning/center "petal," first at the beginning of the wrong side and then at the beginning of the right side on the following row.

After a couple of repeats (my second "swatch," if you will; I already changed needle size after the first), it hit me that the added CO edges, of course, look different and will curl differently. I am using a cable CO. What CO can I use so my shawl looks consistent? I'm not talking about looking the same on right and wrong sides, but looking the same on the right and left sides of the public side.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
543 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  12:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In case anyone else has need of this knowledge, I have found a CO that I am happy enough with to use for my Long Distance Shawlette. It is the cable CO that puts the new stitch back on the left needle by pivoting around to the back ... I had been putting it on straight at the front of the left needle. After watching several videos to refresh myself on different CO methods, I realized that there were two ways different knitters "mounted" the new stitch for the cable CO and that it made a difference in the appearance of the edge on each side. By putting it on this new-to-me way, the edges behave and look (not EXACTLY the same) similar enough to make me happy.

I swatched with the backward-loop CO and just did not like how sloppy it looks ... I could not seem to make it look neat, even though I knew blocking would help some.

Anyway, thought I'd share what I found out, in case anyone else has missed that there is more than one way to put on that new CO stitch. For past projects I've made, a CO after the beginning was always from the same side, so it didn't matter so much, but it does for THIS pattern (at least, it matters to me).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  11:23:41 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Knitters are fantastic! Great solution, Donna.

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  08:28:02 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, way to drill down, Donna. Interesting stuff.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.