Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Which way would you like to knit it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1810 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  07:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I have just now finished an original design for a hat, specifically a beret. I started by casting on five stitches at the center top, knitting towards a hemmed headband that was finished using Kitchener stitch.

However, I could also begin with the headband and knit towards the center top. To do this, the hat would have to begin with a provisional cast-on in the round so that the hem can be joined with k2tog all the way around before continuing.

As I prefer to write only one set of directions, which way do you think you would prefer to knit this pattern, from the center top down or from the headband up? The headband poses a challenge either way, and I would like to know which one exile seem to be easier.

Thanks!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

purlthis
Permanent Resident

USA
2754 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  07:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlthis's Homepage Send purlthis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a start on the headband and work to the smaller end girl. Easier to see the fit before I see it's too small for my son or husband's giant heads (my ten year old son has a head larger than mine! Lol)

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2014 :  12:19:59 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Rachel - headband to top.

That's also why I also prefer toe-up socks and top-down sweaters - can check fit as you go and can keep on going until you run out of yarn.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe