Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 No needles? No problem!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  1:24:40 PM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got called for Jury Duty yet again and in prepariing to go, recalled with dismay that knitting needles are not permitted. I mean, hours of enforced captivity and prevented from exploiting it for knitortunity? Egads. But never fear. Queen Bee and Sue S. were at the ready with suggestions. Chopsticks!! After experimenting with different sets, I settled on a pair of black lacquer with a smooth taper and voila ... they worked PERFECTLY! Used them with worsted weight yarn and I whipped up several mitered squares during the day. Continental Chopsticks Knitting

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  3:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Brilliant - just flat out, brilliant.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1803 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  9:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Better yet: arm knitting! I recently took a workshop, laughed with glee the whole way through and finished a long scarf in 30 minutes!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Go to Top of Page

Mshark
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  05:01:58 AM  Show Profile Send Mshark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully I won't be called for jury service for a long time, but I'll make it a point to check out arm knitting next time Ceil. Good to have options!

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  08:36:15 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ick, talk about death by boredom, stuck in a room without knitting. Nice save, Miriam.

I once took spindle and fiber without a hitch. Arm knitting sounds like a good idea too, but it goes so fast. You'd have to truck a ton of yarn to make it last all day.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

sarah montie
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  04:05:08 AM  Show Profile Send sarah montie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got called for Jury Duty in New Jersey and I could take my knitting, at least for the jury selection process. I was in the courtroom for the process. I did not get selected, so if I were actually on the jury I don't know if I could have brought them. I did call them and ask first. I guess it may be different from state to state.
Go to Top of Page

mbsandercock
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  05:30:38 AM  Show Profile Send mbsandercock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can get away with it, also, by taking dpns that are made of wood or completely of plastic (beware that some plastic needles have a metal interior but for example, Ponies do not have a metal interior) and putting them in your pocket. They make it thru a metal detector and are not subject to search because they are not in your bag. The size of your pocket limits the size of the project, though. Socks? Booties?
Go to Top of Page

Irene1
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  09:16:40 AM  Show Profile Send Irene1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It must depend on where you live. When I showed up for jury duty, no knitting needles of any kind were allowed. They inspected everything! I think the people being tried got to bring more in from the jail than the jurors were allowed.
Go to Top of Page

geniaknitz
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  09:19:17 AM  Show Profile Send geniaknitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knit all through a looong day in the Multnomah County, Portland ()R) jury selection room, waiting to be called. Not a bit of a problem. I did bring bamboo circs; maybe that helped. I did see a lot of envious looks.
(I stopped by the courthouse the day before to show them what I would be bringing, so I knew it would be OK. )
Go to Top of Page

CyndyABA
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  6:48:56 PM  Show Profile Send CyndyABA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about crochet hooks?
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  1:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Geniaknitz, great strategy! I bet you did have folks looking enviously at you!

For our suburban county & jury duty, no knitting needles are allowed. I did not have to go when I was last called & i packed books vs knitting.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  08:22:46 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CyndyABA, I once brought a crochet hook successfully to local jury duty in San Francisco. Metal one, too. security guards didn't look twice. Maybe they're less threatening cause they're not as pointy as needles?

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page

strandedgirl
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  9:58:55 PM  Show Profile Send strandedgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was soooo smart! I don't know why they can ban knitting needles. Technically they are no more of a that that pens or pencils. Brilliant idea!

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe