Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Does a "two-looped" cast-on exist?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ceil
Permanent Resident

USA
1857 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  2:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ceil's Homepage Send Ceil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me explain. I'm not talking about any of the provisional cast-ons; they won't work. I'm wondering if there is a cast-on that will produce a hard edge and twice the number of loops as there are stitches on the hard edge.

I realize I could do a regular CO and then kf&b in every stitch on the first row, but I believe this may create too much bulk in the finished piece, as it will be rolled. I need to divide the loops onto two needles and then will knit on, say, 8 from one needle and the next 8 on the other, for a section that is 16 stitches wide. (I hope that makes sense.)

I've never heard of anything like this to know what it might be called, IF it exists, and wonder if anyone has?

Thanks!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

BJ
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile Send BJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried tubular cast on? If memory serves- you cast on half the number of stitches you want then pick-up a stitch between each cast-on. Brooklyn Tweed uses this cast on for ribbing. It's also used for double knitting..I'm sure you can fine a better description online.

Hope this helps-
BJ
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1753 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  7:42:29 PM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting question. I have the book Cast On, Bind Off and there are two methods that might work. Too much to describe here, but I'll give you the names of the cast ons from the book and maybe you can find the instructions via google. Or see if you can find the book in your library.

Channel Cast On. Right in the description it says you will be making two stitches at a time.

The other is Double Needle Cast On. This is a variation of the knitted cast on and it looks like it puts a stitch on each of the two needles.

I haven't tried either of these so can't tell you anything from experience but either may be what you are after.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?