Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Half fishermans rib - name for techniques
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Menteje
New Pal

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  04:49:26 AM  Show Profile Send Menteje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there - are both these techniques called half fishermans rib?

A:
Row 1: K1, K1B, repeat.
Row 2: Knit all sts.

B:
Row 1: P1, P1B, repeat.
Row 2: Purl all sts.

I am translating a pattern from Danish into English and have found that the two techniques have different names in Danish but I can only find one name in English.

Does anyone know? Thank you for any help!

Digital Knitter.

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  06:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may not be exactly the same thing you are looking for, but in my copy of 400 Knitting Stitches, these are similar to what are called "English Rib Knitwise" and "English Rib Purlwise" ... the latter being for "knitters who prefer to work in purl rather than knit." Do your two methods produce the same results? In my book, the photos of resulting fabric look the same for each method.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Menteje
New Pal

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  2:44:43 PM  Show Profile Send Menteje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much - I will need to try out both techniques. Will let you know :)

The stitch book you are referring to, is that an American book?

Thanks,
Karen

Digital Knitter.
Go to Top of Page

ikkivan
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  12:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit ikkivan's Homepage Send ikkivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book is 400 Knitting Stitches by Potter Craft (A complete Dictionary of Essential Stitch Patterns) ... inside info states the book was originally published in France, with the first English translation in Australia. Mine is the first American edition. Very clear photos of stitch patterns and clear instructions, IMO. I have several stitch "dictionaries," and this is one of my favorites because the stitches are organized by types, i.e., knit-purl stitches, crossed stitches and cables, slipped stitches, etc. These English rib/fisherman's rib patterns are under "double stitches."

Hope this helps you!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Go to Top of Page

Menteje
New Pal

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  03:59:13 AM  Show Profile Send Menteje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much! That was vey helpful :D

I did try out the two techniques; there is a slight difference to the way the sts are turned but I'd say that if the pattern calls for one or the other I would happily use the one that suits the knitter best.

Karen

Digital Knitter.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.