Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Meet Local Color Fiber Studio
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Do you use Ravelry stash management?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lynne604
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  06:48:15 AM  Show Profile Send Lynne604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I list everything on Excel spreadsheets. So far it has worked very well.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4057 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  04:23:18 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yarn not bought for a specific project, that is cast on immediately, goes into Ravelry stash. It really is helpful when I'm in a yarn store to be able to double check on my phone what I already have at home.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Go to Top of Page

elliebelly
New Pal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  07:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit elliebelly's Homepage Send elliebelly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a vote for Ravelry's stash management feature, because I like how it recommends patterns for my yarn if there stash I want to knit with and tells me if I have yarn in my stash when I'm looking at a pattern I want to knit. I also enjoy the visual record.

I was an early beta tester on ravelry and had a manageable size stash. But, having been forewarned by people who got on earlier than I did, I warned the husband to expect me to disappear into the internet for three days when I got Ravelry and with the enthusiasm of a kid with a new toy, I spend every waking hour that I wasn't at work figuring it all out and stashing. It would be a lot easier now with iphones! Back then, you had to take pictures, transfer them to the computer and upload them. Now, you can take pictures on your iphone and upload them immediately using yarma (a ravelry app), which is what I do with new yarn before it goes into stash. About once a year I spend a day comparing what I have listed to what is actually in my yarn closet, as there are always a few I miss along the way. I'm not a compulsive organizational person, but this is one area where it has been really great.

Also, a note about books. You can scan their barcodes and they show up automatically on ravelry. I've got a couple hundred knitting books, having inherited a bit from parents, aunts and friends. I set one of my college age kids to scanning for me last summer, and in under two hours he had the whole library loaded. I don't use that feature a lot but I think it's pretty coool

Joyce
blog: http://joycevance.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2162 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  06:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Joyce, thank you for the lessons & suggestions contained in your post!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2682 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joyce, I didn't know about Yarma, thank you!

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carol@cfmdesigns.net
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit carol@cfmdesigns.net's Homepage Send carol@cfmdesigns.net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't catalog my yarn. I store it by fiber and weight in giant translucent tubs, then by warm and cool colors if there is more than one tub in a category. My yarn has its own room. It would take months to photograph it all. I could be knitting instead.
When I am designing something, I pull all the yarns that might coordinate well into a collection bucket.
I wish I could store it all out on open shelves, by color, like one yarn shop that is now gone, but the m*ths would get at it. If there were airtight transparent bins I would use them, on shelves, by color.

CFM Designs
"It's All About the Pretty"
http://cfmdesigns.net
Go to Top of Page

Trouble101
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  05:16:06 AM  Show Profile Send Trouble101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slip covers over furniture made great hiding places especially if your husband is not into cleaning. Just make sure your dust bunnies and your yarn don't collide.

Trouble and the girls
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2008 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2015 :  11:43:34 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the tub in exta bathroom to stack up plastic tubs then pulled the shower curtain. No one the wiser!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2162 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  08:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.

Re my stash management & on a slightly different note, I recently took Clara's Craftsy class, Stash Busting, Make the Most of What You Have, & it is wonderful! I learned new things, was reminded of nuggets of wisdom & have many new ideas for what I can do & how I can do it. And a class with Clara? A perfect jolt of energy.

Last weekend, I brought all of my totes together (crikey!), took a few deep breaths & dove right in. I carried the vibe from the class & sorted, handling every hank & skein. Lots to send to the KRR Stash Lounge, some to a local summer camp, some I hope that can be sold, yarns to use for projects that make my heart sing. I started a sweater in STF Brigantia & am reviewing sweater patterns to use with some Briar Rose yarn. Lucky me!

And I have fewer & more organized totes. Stash management can rock!

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1329 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2015 :  12:32:41 PM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I used the tub in exta bathroom to stack up plastic tubs then pulled the shower curtain. No one the wiser!

Lelani, that is hysterical, I love it.

Marfa, thanks for the recommendation on Clara's class. I have so many bits and ends that I don't know what to do with. I did take a class on "garnetting" by Judith MacKenzie. Garnetting is a repurposing technique that entails shredding spun yarns back to fluff, and respinning them, often with new fibers blended in. It was totally cool, and I am using the technique, but Clara's class sounds like a good addition to my arsenal of thrifty practices.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2015 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by