Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  09:20:23 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What line of work are knitters in outside of knitting? Are most of us scientific people, laywers, doctors, secretaries, etc.? Also, how do you think that might influence your knitting, i.e. process versus end product?

I majored in chemical engineering in college and am working as an environmental engineer (have been since about 6 - 8 months after getting my degree.

I use knitting as a creative outlet because let's face it, there's not a whole lot of creativity in engineering. I love to knit scarves and other small items. I have done one afghan and have started on another but haven't yet started on my first sweater. I guess you could say that I like seeing the finished product more than just knitting for the sake of knittin.

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  09:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few threads started with this topic already in the off topic sections!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

CompuChild
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  09:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit CompuChild's Homepage Send CompuChild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am president of CompuChild, my husband and I run our company together. We sell preschool computer education franchises. My background is in Elementary Ed. I travel whenever we open a new franchise so I get to knit a lot on airplanes and I like to visit knit shops! I am going to Milwaukee this weekend so I am going to find the two shops mentioned in fav. stores thread:) Our franchises are %95 female owned!!

www.compuchild.com
Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  10:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to be a National Sales Manager, but have recently started my own online business.

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page

Redrobin
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  2:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Redrobin's Homepage Send Redrobin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work in finance for a mutual fund company, but I am also a fledgeling comics writer/illustrator (if I can finish the darned thing so I can try to get people to pay me for it!).
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  2:53:11 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a first grade teacher.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  3:02:44 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a BA in French, but right now I am a SAHM and bookkeeper for my DH's small webhosting company. So much for USING my degree. At least my DD has started French in Jr. Hi.
~Rebecca

"Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
Go to Top of Page

Cameellie
Honorary Angel

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  5:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cameellie's Homepage Send Cameellie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a Clinical Trials Analyst working with the regulatory and clinical tracking used for New Drug Applications to the FDA. It is even more boring than it sounds.

Cameellie
Remember, everybody is somebody else's weirdo.
Go to Top of Page

Knit Twit
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  7:58:13 PM  Show Profile Send Knit Twit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a commercial real estate attorney now doing commercial writing instead of practicing law...for me, practicing law produces tight, tight, error-free knitting (can you say "uptight"?), and I look like a madwoman while doing it.

My dream is to stay away from commercial anything and finish my novel and play with yarn all day, but I probably have to wait a while before that can happen - law school loans, d'oh!

Terri : )

Discretionary Spending = Yarn and Teddy Bears
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  8:26:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a full time mum and part time Tupperware demonstrator.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 19 FOs, 2 WIPs, 1 frog, 1 on hold

Go to Top of Page

tedbets
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  8:34:17 PM  Show Profile Send tedbets a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm a retired 8th grade English teacher with degrees in Latin & Education. I edit a newsletter for a local yacht club & play violin in 3 amateur orchestras.
Betsy
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  9:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work in IT as a business analyst

Wen

2004 stats: 20 FO, 7 WIP, 27 wool purchased, 4 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  04:33:20 AM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a doctorate in clinical psychology with a focus on pregnancy and birth. At the moment, though, I'm home with my daughter. :)

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

CompuChild
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  04:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit CompuChild's Homepage Send CompuChild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! We are a diverse bunch:)

www.compuchild.com
Go to Top of Page

sntm
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  05:27:13 AM  Show Profile Send sntm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surgery resident here. Can't stay away from stitching, I guess...
Go to Top of Page

Tuppence
Chatty Knitter

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  05:38:52 AM  Show Profile Send Tuppence a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a software engineer, hopefully soon to be retired.

Actually a knitting pattern is a lot like a computer program with nested loops, function calls (imagine each cable twist as a subroutine). Maybe that's why I enjoy knitting (and computer programming) so much.

- Marie, NW of Chicago
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
738 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  06:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit CPAknit's Homepage Send CPAknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As my user name indicates- I am a CPA with my own firm (I have a business partner) I am the tax person in my practice-
I knit for family, friends and myself. And for relaxation and meditation purposes. Also- I find knitting very mathematical.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  06:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
college professor and research ecologist.

as I've said elsewhere, knitting is the one thing in my life that "stays done" - grading gets replaced with more grading, grant proposals and journal articles get returned for rewrite, lesson and lab prep is never ending, but knitting stays done.

I knit slowly but rarely make mistakes; I think it's because I so hate the thought of having to rip back and redo.
Go to Top of Page

DukTape
Warming Up

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  06:51:51 AM  Show Profile Send DukTape a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a novelist and knit when I have writer's block. I make most of my money doing clerical crap for a government contractor, trying to make engineers sound literate.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin
Go to Top of Page

mochajulie
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  07:16:20 AM  Show Profile Send mochajulie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a registered nurse in a hospital setting. Knitting helps me keep my sanity!
Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  07:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tuppence beat me to it! I am a retired software engineer and I was also going to mention the similarities between programming and knitting.

In the early 1800's Jacquard's weaving loom used punched cards to create the fsbric patterns. This is usually considered to be one of the first examples of programming.

"SmellyCat, SmellyCat, what are they feeding you?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.