Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  1:14:40 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm happy at my job, although I'm only 36. I've been with the same company for 11 years. For me it isn't so much about the job as the people I work with.

http://www.femiknits.blog-city.com/knitting_for_canadian_troops.htm
http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  2:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been in the same industry for about 18 years and have only worked for 3 different companies. First company, we lost our account so my warehouse closed. About 6 of us ended at company #2 and the only reason I left there after 7 years was to moved to a different state for family reasons, otherwise I would still be there. I'm 37. Company #1 even paid for me to finish college which is the only way I could have got hired at company #2.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  3:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm 35 and I'm happy with my job. But that's because I forced my employer's hand. I had an offer at another company and the day I turned in my notice the management freaked. The exact words of our Director (head of our company) was "Oh sh#t" In a day they came up with an amazing counter offer. I received an immediate raise of just over 14% with a written promise that within two months of that date I would get an additional raise (making my total raise from the starting point 26%), and new job responsibilities and they would pay for 1/2 of my grad school tuition. And all that and I get to stay at on a beautiful campus with relaxed hours (I don't work Fridays in the summer) and a great group of people. It's nice to feel valued once in awhile. So now I am learning my new responsibilities which is a challenge - and that's what I like, a challenge.

That being said I'm not an easy person to please because I like change and I like challenge. I get bored very easy. My record so far was 6 job changes in about 18 months. These were all professional level jobs with benefits, not part-time jobs to fill gaps. Kind of sad, I know. But now I have been with my current company for 4 years - this is a longevity record for me.

[image]http://www.isaacsondesign.net/forum/argoknit_logo.gif[/image]
http://www.isaacsondesign.net/
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  8:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like my job most of the time. I have an excellent schedule for the most part...every other Friday off...but there are other times we are on 24/7. I get to travel although some of it is to towns without hotels or restaurants...but with schools. I eat out a lot...when there are restaurants. And sometimes even get to dine in school cafeterias! I get to fly and keep my miles and rent cars and get points that are mine. I have a Sam's card from the company. Hmmmm...yes, mostly I like it but it's like everything else, it has its ups and downs and sometimes we are expected to be experts in everything and it just doesn't work. But would I like to go back to the classroom instead? Only if I was starving!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

Medea
Chatty Knitter

334 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  05:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Medea's Homepage Send Medea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In response to txknitr's question, I am happy at my job, but I'm not happy with how little they pay me. :) I love the people I work with and the flexibility of my schedule, as well as what I actually do. I left a bad job for this job, so that helps me appreciate it even more. But that doesn't keep me from wondering what else I might be good at! :) I've only been there a year and unless they start paying me more I won't be there forever.

J

I'm teaching myself to knit -- dare I call myself an "advanced beginner" now? Pictures are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsphotos
Go to Top of Page

millsgrad
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  12:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit millsgrad's Homepage Send millsgrad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a teacher..but am now an unemployed teacher so currently, my occupation (though I don't get paid!) is a knitter. I wish that I had been knitting longer because I actually saw a posting for a knitting instructor. I'm not that quite advanced yet! I was happy being a teacher but things were just bad @ the school I was at. 4 teachers left, our principal was 'moved' to another site, it was just getting way too crazy.

rhoda

Come see my blog!
http://g-girl-knittingadventures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyinNM
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  10:25:59 AM  Show Profile Send DaisyinNM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love reading about everyone's careers! When I first read the topic, I thought there would be a lot of the same types of work, but it is all so diverse. I work as a prosecutor specializing in white collar crimes. I have been a prosecutor for 20 years and I love it! I don't know how 20 years went by and I didn't seem to age ...
Margarita
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my job, but, of course, no one will ever get rich doing theater.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting..."
- Fred or George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

MissKnitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit MissKnitty's Homepage Send MissKnitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently working on my Master's degree to be a Range Manager! I love to be outdoors. It'll be a lot of hard work but I'm all up for it!
Go to Top of Page

institches
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  1:09:12 PM  Show Profile Send institches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm the Finance Director and also assist with Economic Development for the city I live in. I love working and living where I do. It's a small midwest town in Northwest Illinois that is very historic, full of local artists and extremely picturesque. We had nine Civil War generals and one U.S. President come from here. While my job is largely numbers crunching, there is never a dull moment. Between historic preservationists, artists, local merchants and 1.5 million visitors per year, no two days are ever alike. And the issues we deal with can be downright bizarre. Knitting is my way of emptying the trash can that my brain becomes by the end of an average day at work.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

knitnut05@yahoo.com
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  6:42:19 PM  Show Profile Send knitnut05@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What fun it was to find this post! I would love to work from home Somehow! I am a nurse and have worked out the home for 25 years. I currently work in the Quality assurance office. I was happiest in OB. I love to knit!! I could do that 24/7. If only I could figuree out how to make money at it. Especially sense my DH just got laid off!
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

kentuckyprrlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

189 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  05:43:50 AM  Show Profile Send kentuckyprrlgrrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a manager of two printing plants for a newspaper company. I also sit a couple of boards that deal with women/family issues such as crisis pregnancy planning and mission direction.

Ky Prrl Grrl

Step away from the bubble wrap and no one gets hurt!
Go to Top of Page

knittingnana
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  2:05:20 PM  Show Profile Send knittingnana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been retired now for a little over 3 years! In my former life I worked for Pfizer as a lab tech for 36 years! I don't miss it at all!
We are currently Snowbirds in Florida and I have a small online knitting store. We also Travel with our Motorhome and 3 pets!

Renate
www.hyenacart.com/Nanaswoolies
www.nanaswoolies.com
Go to Top of Page

KellyZ
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  12:34:27 PM  Show Profile Send KellyZ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll resurrect this thread again. Great fun to read about all the interesting things that people do!

I'm a financial operations analyst for a manufacturing company in Wisconsin. I have a bachelor's degree in Accounting with a minor in Mathematics, and I have my MBA from Marquette University. In a past life, I was a linguistics major and preferred the humanities to quantitative things. How I ended up in finance, I will never know. Thanks to my past life, I love to write, and would love to find a way to combine my business and financial knowledge with my love of writing. Haven't figured out how to do that and still make the $$ I make now. Someday, I'll get there....

I knit after work and on the weekends to clear my mind of all the numbers and corporate BS. I also cross-stitch and do basic crochet, but it's knitting with which I am obsessed right now.

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." -Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Mocha
Permanent Resident

Singapore
2903 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  09:36:02 AM  Show Profile Send Mocha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am working presales for Application/Network Analytical tool part time and full-time slacker & knitter. Sometimes when occasion arises, I become the maid at home. Same as Kelly, I have no idea how I ended up in IT field but my first thought was I could be doctor, teacher (Well, I did 2 weeks' stint as Kindergarten teacher), missionary, lawyer.. now that I'm married, I want to be full-time mom and business owner..

Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  3:40:24 PM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another computer nerd here. I do threat analysis for Dept of Defense contracts. I'm also a single mom -- but it's easier now that oldest daughter is married and the other two are away at college. Raising four kids by myself really cut into my knitting/cross-stitching time!

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

knitting_wounded
Gabber Extraordinaire

365 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  09:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitting_wounded's Homepage  Send knitting_wounded a Yahoo! Message Send knitting_wounded a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a low-level supervisor at the telephone company, though I have ventured higher on occasion. I'd love to be able to knit at my desk, but we're all afraid I'll end up stabbing someone with a knitting needle...

Check out the Knitting Wounded Tent: http://knittingwounded.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

twizzleydiva
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  11:05:00 AM  Show Profile Send twizzleydiva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, so I'll resurrect this old thread again! It was neat to read about everyone and what they do!!

I am a freelance photographer who has no formal education in the subject. I don't get to do much paid work, but I'd love to!! I would REALLY like to go to college for business/marketing and learn how to get my own business rolling! I know I have the talent, but I am just not business-minded. I would also like to photograph a book of body modification (tattoos, piercings, etc.) I will be doing a photo shoot for (one of) the Suicide Girls soon, so I am hoping that will lead to more of the same (lots of $$).

I also serve as Vice Chair of the Head Start Policy Council (an elected position, the equivilent of school board for Head Start, but no pay), and serve on several sub-committies for the same.

I signed up today to volunteer for the local HIV/drug and alcohol outreach center in the peer program!! I have very limited knowledge of either, but this is a small town in the bible belt, and people here are very closed-minded about things, so they don't have a ton of people knocking down their door to help out.

I originally went to college for Medical Assisting, worked in the field for a couple of years, and decided that I didn't like the hours that the doctors kept and gave up. I am 2 courses shy of an Associate's Degree, and I plan on finishing the degree up when my youngest goes off to Kindergarten!!

Mommy to a bright, 6 year old little boy, and a very spry 3 year old little girl...a little black mopdog, and a mischevious black kitty!
Go to Top of Page

knitwitch39
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  11:42:55 AM  Show Profile Send knitwitch39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Full-time slacker and knitter? I can relate to that, Mocha! I've held a variety of jobs but nothing that I was passionate about, except for being a SAHM. The kiddles are all grown with families of their own so I work (infrequently) at a bookstore and pet-sit. My current charge has been here for 3 months while her human is skiiing in Andorra and will be staying with me for most of the spring and summer while said human is in Latvia, Brazil, and touring the US in an RV.

I'm well-paid (for a pet-sitter) to stay at home and knit, while caring for/about someone else's pet...and I'd be staying at home knitting anyway! lol

Yvonne

*You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps!*
Go to Top of Page

kat0926
Chatty Knitter

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  12:04:27 PM  Show Profile Send kat0926 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a SAHM to 3 children (12, 9 & 4). I am married to a Military Officer so I guess you could call me a single mom - we don't see him much. Before we had children I was a Medical Transcriptionist. I have to say that my current profession, as a SAHM, is much more taxing than dealing with Doctors all day (and they could be very difficult at times).

Kim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.