Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Marie E
Chatty Knitter

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  6:32:29 PM  Show Profile Send Marie E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RN for 30 years-28 in the surgery department. Knitting is a good way to decompress.
Marie E in NC
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  6:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I work as a 2D digital painter for an animation studio. (we did Shrek)

And knitting is a really nice balance to sitting in front of a computer 10 hours a day. It's nice to be manualy creative rather than creative on a computer.

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  7:39:14 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
amber, I did animation in college. By hand, mostly (cells). I worked on film titles, fire safety films, my own little snippits, etc. I started getting into it just as Matt Groenig (Simpsons) was leaving the college I went to. I wish I'd knitted then. It would have been a great creative outlet for me (as it is now).

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

slaggyc
Permanent Resident

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  8:12:03 PM  Show Profile Send slaggyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a Kindergarten teacher-- starting tomorrow! I've taught only 1st and 2nd grades so this will be new and exciting!

Chelsey

http://knittingbeginnings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

edelsma
Permanent Resident

Canada
1182 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  07:07:11 AM  Show Profile Send edelsma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a Business Analyst in an IT environment. Our deparment supports the system in our Japan Office. Just started Japanese course in the university after 20 years of not using the language.

Knitting to me is the sense of achievement, colour, texture... and I like to see my family, friends, relatives ooooh and aaaah over my projects.

Margaret in Waterloo, Ontario
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  09:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
toy maker and soap maker here
original porcelain dolls, dollhouse miniatures
handmade lye soap, other body/personal care products
I am knitting my menopausal socks ( and now apparently menopausal felted clogs)to cope with hot flashes
right now.....I am knitting clogs that look like primitive jack o lanterns....
next clogs that look like snow men......followed by what else......? more clogs...... black cats!!!
then I will go back to socks
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  10:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a student/admin asst. that's learning to be a massage therapist. Hopefully physical therapy some day.

Chia
Go to Top of Page

YsMomma
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2004 :  2:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit YsMomma's Homepage Send YsMomma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a MAster's degree, but rigt now I am a ( poor) SAHM

Hillary
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  7:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My screen name says it - I teach English, currently in a mdidle school but moving to high school next year. Jaw, I'm sorry your school people aren't more tolerant - in the last 14 years I have convinced administration that it is best if they let me knit during meetings - keeps me quiet!
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  8:38:03 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started out as a pre-school teacher, but have worked for 18 years in a local crisis center, part-time, and I am also a part-time Hebrew teacher. I do a lot of charity knitting, make lots of hats, and I enjoy it. I like having something to keep my hands busy while talking, watching tv, riding, etc., it's relaxing and calming.
Chayah
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  9:02:08 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I teach English as a second langauge.

Lemons--I have always fantasized about being a food writer!

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible." --Soren Kierkegaard
Go to Top of Page

msheppard@plcland.com
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  08:28:05 AM  Show Profile Send msheppard@plcland.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting topic! I too have a "left brained" job. I hold two degrees, one in accounting and one in finance. I work as a controller for a real estate developer, and I knit every freakin minute that I'm not working, even at lunch!

For me it's kind of a zen/creative outlet becuase as you say, let's face it, accounting is not that creative (unless of course you work for Enron) :)

Melissa
Go to Top of Page

Misa
Warming Up

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  12:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Misa's Homepage Send Misa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently going to school for Specialty Desserts & Breads. After I get out of school, I'd like to decorate cakes and work with dessert display pieces.

- Misa in Seattle

http://misaknits.blogspot.com - my knitting blog
http://sweetmisa.blogspot.com - my baking/Pastry School blog
http://misalady.livejournal.com - my main blog
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  01:25:13 AM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have our own computer consulting business that we run from home as well as a new line of software that is currently in a heavy marketing phase - so my involvement is as a Business Analyst. I also do all the accounting and financial planning, run a Super fund, do accounts for 6 other companies ... and look after my 2 young sons. Geez, no wonder I haven't done much knitting lately

Diana
Go to Top of Page

ClareNC
Permanent Resident

1235 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  4:33:57 PM  Show Profile Send ClareNC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Used to be a SAHM. When youngest went to school full time I was computing for an advertising company. Then I was a child minder (in my home babysitter to Americans) now I am a nanny. When baby naps, I knit !!!
Clare
Go to Top of Page

robin2975
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  08:58:33 AM  Show Profile Send robin2975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in grad school for physical therapy. (anyone with knitting ailments?) Very tired of living on PB & J...
Go to Top of Page

Miiki
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  11:18:59 PM  Show Profile Send Miiki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Former:
Librarian- Public and Private sector,
Part-time employee at Williams-Sonoma and Gap [good discounts]
ESL teacher in Japan
Shiatsu therapist
Asst manager at agnes b [ditto good discounts]
Currently:
Stay at home mum with a three year old and a wonderful 10 year marriage.
I now have time to get back into creative stuff, hence, "reborn knitter'- it has been 20 years!
Holga fan, wanna be seamstress, writer, scrapbooker and collager. Love to cook. [Hey- being a FT mama it IS in my line of work!]
Afterall- I will have to go back to work FT soon enough!
Librarian stereotype- well. Have cats ;-, married with one, & general appearance is denim boots: high low and in between, metal and T's. And cardigans! I am a traditionalist at heart! But no stash- [All my librarians friends have $ reserves. Got out of the business too soon! Heading back though next career move! or Teaching!]

M
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  06:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a writer/editor/web/publication slave working on sovreignty and policy issues. I also have a volunteer position as the Academic Director of our local Celtic festival, which involves building a scholarship program, finding folks to teach workshops, theoretically working on grant applications, and any second now taking over our web site.
Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  10:16:26 AM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am presently on maternity leave for a year (I love Canada for that!). I teach grades 4 to 7, several subjects. After my second was born, I decided to work part-time. Before that, I taught full-time and I was principal, now that was stressful! I have a Bachelor
of Arts (psychology), a Bachelor of Education and a Bachelor of Human Ecology. I want to go on to do a Masters, ideally in Clothing and Textiles, possibly do a thesis on social-psychological aspects of clothing choices. That is still years away. I just may do a Masters in Education, who knows.
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  3:30:35 PM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pauline

Most important KysKnitnMom,You have the most important and rewarding job.Please don't feel bad about yourself.

Chelsey,K- class,how sweet it is.Go for it.
I've done mentoring for a couple of years now.Those babies are the most precious, sweetest children.I'm also doing leaps in literacy for 2nd graders 6 years, this year.

I've done Nursing in my younger years from 1969-1991
Pauline

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth