Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  4:12:27 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I managed tanning salons for 6 years, and I've owned my own salon for 14 years. My best friend in IL and I (in MI) own a message board for the tanning industry. I work everyday, and as soon as I get all the cleaning chores done, I knit as much as possible.
Go to Top of Page

caramel93117
Chatty Knitter

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  11:25:26 PM  Show Profile Send caramel93117 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a really cool topic. It's so interesting to see how many different careers there are here!

I'm a brand-new Kindergarten teacher! Just finished my Masters in Education too!

Melissa
http://caramelknits.blogspot.com/

"Take your needle, my child, and work your pattern--it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that...one stitch at a time taken patiently."--Oliver Wendall
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  04:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm director of child and adolescent mental health services for a mental health NHS trust in north London. Sadly it is a service for which demand is increasing so there's a lot to do. The knitting certainly helps my mental health.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

liberryqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  02:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit liberryqueen's Homepage Send liberryqueen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Librarian Knitters! There's quite a few of us and when I was graduating from library school last year, the knitting library students were forming a circle! At my library, half the staff knits and we tried to teach a class for kids, but that flopped because our teacher wasn't good with public speaking or handling a crowd. I hope for better luck next time, now that we know what NOT to do.

http://www.librarianknits.com

The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together. --Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

loral56
Chatty Knitter

USA
314 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2004 :  08:27:34 AM  Show Profile Send loral56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am retired. I owned a Computer Services business and worked from my home. I did research transcription for faculty, doctorate and master's students. I also input dissertations and master's thesis, journal articles, papers for students, etc. and sometimes I filled in and trained new secretary's for one of the colleges.

Before having my own business I always worked as a Secretary...lawyers, 2 different colleges (ASU and OSU). I always liked doing secretarial work and loved having my business. Computers were rather new to the universities and it was great watching a dissertation or master's thesis coming together on my screen. I was a whiz at creating forms and documents on the typewritter because you could eyeball everything...the computer was a real challenge and then all of a sudden it just came together.

Knitting is like that, as I knit along, all of a sudden it starts looking good and then comes together...an accomplishment, what a great feeling.

Lora
Go to Top of Page

kellianne
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  2:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit kellianne's Homepage Send kellianne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another librarian here... Actually, I don't have an MLS (I do have an MA in art history). But I do the work of a librarian. I manage the rare books collection at an academic library and am still searching the collection for a rare knitting book -- I'm sure there's one out there!

Kelli

http://www.ipsographic.com
Go to Top of Page

ajastoy@aol.com

Posted - 12/26/2004 :  06:57:32 AM  Show Profile Send ajastoy@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After being a Jack of all trades, Master of none for years, lol,,,,I am currently for the past 4 years a NYC Bus Operator,,,,driving my 40 and 45 footer local and express buses in and around NYC and Staten Island. My knitting is literally my therapy after a day on the bus!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2004 :  2:48:16 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm the alumni director for a 125-year-old preschool through 12th grade independent school in Ohio. B.A. and M.A. in philosophy oh so many years ago. Julie
Go to Top of Page

sonnetstitches
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  10:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit sonnetstitches's Homepage Send sonnetstitches a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*oops, double post*
Go to Top of Page

Sandra C
Gabber Extraordinaire

403 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  08:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra C's Homepage Send Sandra C a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, Sonnet Stitches. I am a technical editor and people tell me that they think *I* am finding *their* typos, so they feel intimidated! Nothing could be further from the truth! LOL Now, when I'm working on a 300-page report that is used to guide engineers in the workings of a power plant, *then* I am definitely looking closely!

After working freelance for several years, I am now starting my own business, and will contract to have other editors as well as graphic designers work with me. I am currently trying to figure out the "build a web site" thing. I need a dictionary of terms just for this.

Great topic. I love reading about other parts of our lives.

Sandra in NY
Knitter for Life
Go to Top of Page

sanesi
Chatty Knitter

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  1:27:52 PM  Show Profile Send sanesi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, what an amazingly diverse group. You all are very interesting. I am a government attorney - I do mostly oil and gas and land things. Before I went to law school I was a manager at a large department store. I find knitting a creative outlet because my job doesn't lend itself to creativity. Eventually, I would love to open a yarn store. There isn't a yarn store in the town I live in and I think it could be really successful - a college town. That is my dream, so I'm trying to improve my knitting skills so that I am qualified to have a store and teach classes. Until then, being a lawyer pays the bills (yikes - student loans!)

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  3:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an author of a quirky, inspirational writing book (PEN ON FIRE), radio show host and writing instructor (including at Gotham Writers Workshop, which is online). Plus I make and sell beaded and wire-wrapped jewelry on a very parttime basis. (Knitting is taking over my handcraft need....!)

Barbara DeMarco-Barrett

Author, PEN ON FIRE (Harcourt, Oct. 2004); www.penonfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Broadwaybaby
Warming Up

73 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  08:02:05 AM  Show Profile Send Broadwaybaby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am an actress living in both NYC and Los Angeles. I do mainly stage and TV so have knitted many items while hanging around on set and backstage. Last year I knitted scarves for Glenn Close, Bette Midler and Nicole Kidman while working on Stepford Wives.
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  07:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an administrative assistant to two groups of engineers and one of physicists at a national laboratory. I do a tremendous amount of technical writing and editing, a lot of reading to keep up with the continual changes in administrative procedures, and a certain amount of just plain nagging to keep my group leaders up to date on the 'necessary' paperwork. I also do the general clerical stuff necessary to keep 75 people paid, insured and up-to-date on their training. High pressure, lots of deadlines, and lots of rather dull meetings. But also lots of really great people and a certain amount of fun!

My knitting and spinning and weaving and tatting keep me sane and restore my sense of humor after the rough days. They also help me keep from committing serious mayhem at home - I have two teen-age boys and a daughter in college. And a darling DH of 22 years who is tremendously supportive of both my job and my avocation. I teach some - mostly beginner spinning, knitting, crochet and tatting - and have three local fiber guilds - one spinning, one general (but mostly spinning and knitting), and one I started last year of general needlecrafts instruction. We meet at a local library once a month. That group is satisfying - we've grown from 2 or 3 to a dozen over the past year, and encompass ages from 11 to 75!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

needleknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  7:14:22 PM  Show Profile Send needleknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RN for 16 yrs in ED and SICU, now a SAHM trying her hand at writing!
Go to Top of Page

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  5:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Professor of history, started after my phd three years ago.
was editor at a book review journal before this, long years ago...
Go to Top of Page

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  9:58:09 PM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started as commercial artist. Had kids. Worked as CNA for 10 years so I could have flexibility to be at home for them. Then worked as assistant librarian (and was in charge of storytime) for 6 years. Now am freelance artist.
Go to Top of Page

Lumberjill
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  12:31:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lumberjill's Homepage Send Lumberjill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not in any sort of career path, but I'm a recent (last summer) college graduate from a liberal arts school (Carleton in MN anyone?) with a degree in English. I'm currently an Americorps VISTA volunteer, doing communications/marketing/editorial work at a poverty law center: Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law, to be exact, in Chicago. I'm making a difference -- which is what all of the volunteers say, in lieu of making a dollar!
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  05:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another knitting librarian here -- I am an academic foreign languages librarian, trying to figure out how to break into translating fiction.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Shemac
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  11:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shemac's Homepage Send Shemac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an RN, but I gave up my job to stay home with my youngest wee-un. I recently got certified as a knitting instructor, so I hope to teach knitting from my home as soon as it is ready to be moved into (we are building- with a promised completion date of March 30th!!).

Sheila
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.