Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 what's your line of work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Garden mom
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:29:45 AM  Show Profile Send Garden mom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Former Winemaker, now Manager for Global New Product Development for a global.
Knitting keeps me sane...

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right."
Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Garden mom
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:31:07 AM  Show Profile Send Garden mom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry cut myself off - Mgr for NPD for a global brewer...

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right."
Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

proverb31
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile Send proverb31 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! This is really interesting to read.

I'm a Software R&D Program Manager for a major computer hardware company. I coordinate world-wide engineering, marketing, customer support, manufacturing, and sales teams to release computer operating systems with my company's computers.

I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science with minor in Mathmatics and an bachelor's equivalent in Electronics Engineering.

My first career (16 years) was as a civilian working for the US navy. I spent my days (and nights) fixing submarines....yes, my children can say that their mama wore combat boots and a hardhat!

I knit and spin to relieve stress (ahhh, there is something so soothing about fiber slipping through my fingers and the rythmic click, click, click of knitting needles) and to connect with my family heritage. My mother taught me to knit when I was 4 and I have several generations of ancestors who spun cotton and/or wool commercially or to make blankets & clothing for family necessities.

I enjoy the creativity of designing my own yarns and knit/crochet garments, blending color, texture and form in my own unique creations. I also like learning new processes that have a tangible result.

When I'm not knitting or working I'm a single mom of toddler (22mo) twins, volunteering in church or community projects, gardening, and scrapbooking.

Debra in CO

"She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships from afar. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls." Proverbs 31:13-15
Go to Top of Page

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  9:53:57 PM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a Database Administrator. I have both a BS & Masters' in Computer Information Systems...

And I thought that would allow me to be creative - then reality set in So I knit for both the outlet & to relieve stress.

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

KnitSteph
Chatty Knitter

121 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  06:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSteph's Homepage  Send KnitSteph a Yahoo! Message Send KnitSteph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now I'm a student, but when I'm done I'll have a History degree.

My Knitting Blog
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
Albert Camus (1913 - 1960)
Go to Top of Page

ginger35
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  1:16:00 PM  Show Profile Send ginger35 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is very interesting.

I am a receptionist/CSR for a company that publishes craft magazines. I also work with advertising and sales. I work with a great group of people.

The best part of my job is seeing the projects in person. And if I run into a problem with a project I can usually get help at work.

Loretta
Go to Top of Page

knitsend
Chatty Knitter

135 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  9:28:52 PM  Show Profile Send knitsend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting topic.......Speech Language Therapist here. I have spent the majority of my career working with preschoolers and infants. Amazing profession watching language develop. It's like knitting because it grows into something varied and beautiful. Happy knitting
Sue
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  9:41:33 PM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Margie

I tutor English as a Second Language.

Margie

Me, too!

-- Mean Mama
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  02:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
isn't anyone else a toymaker?
am I all alone out here.
I know there are a few soapers....
sniff
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  05:58:21 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a nurse practitioner with an orthopedic practice in a major teaching hospital. I also am a clinical instructor in nursing (I have a doctorate in nursing). I hope to teach full time in a year or two (cause my feet are killing me!!).

Mari

Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom. With one you make a living, with the other you make a life.
Go to Top of Page

calli9902
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  3:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Send calli9902 a Yahoo! Message Send calli9902 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm an corporate defense attorney. While our practice is much less stressful than most law practices (we wear shorts and sandals, jeans and sweaters to the office), I still regard knitting as a great stress-reliever. It also allows me an outlet for my creativity that I can enjoy while sitting with the family (as opposed to being in the other room tied to my sewing machine).

Calli
Go to Top of Page

JustJackie
Chatty Knitter

265 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  8:19:31 PM  Show Profile Send JustJackie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vi, there must be another toy maker out there just like there must be someone in agriculture. I can't be the only farmer-rancher here I had a dairy farm with my first husband which is where our sons grew up My 2nd husband I raise beef cattle , grow alfha hay & do custom hay work.(for 14 yrs now) I'm a country girl.(grandmother)
Jackie in California
Go to Top of Page

kfgardner
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  6:59:06 PM  Show Profile Send kfgardner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a legal assistant....I make the attorneys look great!;-) I use knitting as a stress reliever during my lunch hour. At first I got looks from the other folks in the office. Now I don't even get a second glance. I find they do take note when I start a new project.

Kimberly
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  10:43:55 AM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Statistics grad student, formerly a high school math teacher... soon to be a high school teacher again. Can't WAIT to go back. (I've decided that sitting in front of a computer all day programming is not for me. It's all very interesting, but I'm definitely a people-person.) Wonder what would happen if I brought out my knitting in the lunch room... or during lunch hour with the kids around... hmmm

If I could do whatever I wanted to and get paid fabulously to do it, I'd play music all day. I've always dreamed of going to PEI with a fiddle and learnin' some East Coast tunes.
Go to Top of Page

irishmomof9
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  4:43:57 PM  Show Profile Send irishmomof9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the past 39 years I've been a Mother-Baby RN, which I've never stopped loving. Although my DH is about to retire, I am interviewing for a job (in the city we've moved to for our retirement) as a lactation consultant. And still knitting through it all!

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  5:36:07 PM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a Database administrator, write web pages and train faculty members and staff in IT related subjects at a private boarding school - I'm also an artist and writer in my "free" time - Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

Buckeyeknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

364 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  5:41:47 PM  Show Profile Send Buckeyeknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a CPA - worked for six years in public accounting and then spent 21 yrs as controller at small liberal arts college, then retired but continued to work pt at college for three years/ But my replacement left so I have been back full time since January as temporary replacement until new controller starts. I am so ready to be done with this full time stuff. Definitely cuts into my knitting time. Seems like there are a lot of accountants here. Guess we need some way to be creative since accounting is not the most creative field (or at least it shouldn't be!)

Pam
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  04:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no seperation from my yarn and my work - I own a yarn shop! But I also work a few hours each morning at UPS, loading up those big brown trucks for the drivers (full medical benifits, and cheaper than a health club)

The Irish Ewe yarn shop
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  07:50:44 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a psychiatric nurse and a MaryKay consultant!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

smittnwithknittn
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  4:55:50 PM  Show Profile Send smittnwithknittn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! What a variety of careers. I tell people that I am a nurturer. Actually I get paid to be a Paraprofessional in Special Education. I work with children that have Autism, Downs Syndrome, CP and other various challenges. I love my job. It is sometimes challenging, but always rewarding. I knit to keep my sanity considering I have a husband that works out of town and two sons - one 16, one 20. I just wish knitting burned more calories!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?