Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 Los Angeles, CA Yarn Shops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jnovgirl
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  7:32:20 PM  Show Profile Send jnovgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read a couple posts from people new to L.A. asking for store recommendations, but there seems to be very little L.A. info around here. So I just thought I would throw in my two cents on some of the ones I've been to, and hopefully get some additional reccos and dissenting opinions.

A Mano Yarn Center (Venice Blvd., Mar Vista): I love love love this place. They are really friendly, have some of the best prices on needles and such, and have a decent selection. It's also very down-to-earth -- not too cutesie or trendy. Open Sunday!

Wildfiber (14th St., Santa Monica): Really dangerous (in a good way) 50% off section. I've tried a lot of new things I wouldn't have otherwise because I got them cheaply here. Store is otherwise nice and big, w/a large selection of notions but the sale section is the draw for me.

Knit Cafe (Melrose, near Beverly Center): My favorite of the shops nearest me in the West Hollywood/Bev. Hills vicinity. Friendly staff -- very good with beginners, well-selected yarns. Not the best place for the very basic stuff, but otherwise great.

Knitter's Studio (3rd & Crescent Heights): I've been in here three times now, and been put off by the staff every time. A nice selection organized principally by color, but even though it's closest to me, based on my experiences I'd rather go elsewhere.

Suss (Beverly Bl. nr. LaBrea): very Hollywood, both designer knitwear and yarn, limited selection and not the best prices, but I go occasionally 'cause it's one of the few places I've found Lamb's Pride in L.A. Also open Sunday, I believe.

Stitch Cafe (Magnolia Bl., Valley Village): Nice selection of novelty and high-end stuff as well as basic feltable wools and blends.

Of course there are many more, but I thought I'd just get the conversation started.
(specific addresses/hours and more: http://www.stitchnbeachla.com/resources.html)

tigerlounge
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  4:52:18 PM  Show Profile Send tigerlounge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Black Sheep Knitterie / Hollywood

I'm a little biased, as this store is a block away from me, but I really love it! Tiny, cute little store, with a nice long wooden table and plenty of chairs. The yarn is very well edited - minimal frou-frou, lots of great quality Debbie Bliss, Rowan etc. The owners are helpful and welcoming, and on Thursday they are open to 8 (and had cupcakes and tea last night). I'm buying all my yarn there now, despite a previous alegiance to another store - check 'em out!
Go to Top of Page

tigerlounge
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  4:58:21 PM  Show Profile Send tigerlounge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
La Knitterie Parisienne / Studio City

The biggest and the best really. They literally have EVERYTHING. Two large rooms stuffed to the rafters with every type of yarn - a huge, and occasionally overwhelming selection. Edith Eig and her staff know their stuff, and the best part is that if you buy the yarn here she will draft you a pattern on the spot. Their table is always 'open' and I've never been there without every seat being taken. Wednesday night they are open till 8:30. It's too far for me to visit often, but I'm always glad of it when I go. One bad thing - none of the yarn is priced, and it takes a visit to the cash register to figure out the cost.
Go to Top of Page

Annabelle
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  12:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Annabelle a Yahoo! Message Send Annabelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have to add in another here, Skein in Pasadena (they have another in Altadena but I haven't been). I live in East Los Angeles so basically this is the closest store for me to get to (I miss West Hollywood).

They have a pretty decent selection of yarns, but not quite enough (but when is there ever enough?). Their prices are pretty ridiculous in my opinion (those of you with boatloads of cash might not find it such a big deal).

I paid something like $40.00 for two skeins of bulky wool. It was definitly worth it because it was super soft and really warm, but I'd never paid more than maybe $7.00 a skein before so it gave me a heart attack hearing the total.

They do have drop in lessions, they have really great, friendly and knowledgable staff. It's just the prices that drive me away.
Go to Top of Page

fishgirl182
New Pal

36 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  7:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishgirl182's Homepage Send fishgirl182 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
unwind yarn in burbank - www.unwindyarn.com
super nice staff and now open sundays. normal la prices on stuff but they do have sales and they have one of those frequent shopper cards. organized by color (which i do not like) but you'll get over it.

emmaline's in glendale - http://www.emmasknitworks.com/
i just found this place and it's so close to where i live. very nice staff, good prices on manos ($12.50 for solids and veriagated), lamb's pride (worsted and bulky- why is it so hard to find worsted lp?). not a huge selection but still pretty good. also open on sundays.

yarns unlimited - 828 Pico Blvd. #1, Santa Monica CA 90405
this place isn't really pretty. it's about the yarn and not about presentation. cubbies and yarn and no table to sit and knit and hang out at. however the staff is always very helpful and i think they have the best prices i've seen around. extensive collection of brown sheep, cascade, baby yarns, cottons, and nicely priced koigu along with lots of novelty stuff and rowan yarns. closed sundays.

i've been to a lot of yarn stores in the area and these are my fave so far. i do stop by suss sometimes for their bargain bin and i know they're open on sundays. black sheep is also very nice but i find them a tad pricey. la knitterie is only minutes from where i work but i hate that nothing is tagged and the aisles are so narrow. if anyone has any other stores that aren't mentioned, please do, because i am always looking for a new place to shop!
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  1:46:33 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be in LA for a week at the end of May, staying downtown, which I understand is unfortunate. Will have a car, though. Any updates to this topic as to what's current?
Thanks--

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  4:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just visited Jennifer Knits in Brentwood -- very nice and helpful.

Steph

http://sunsetcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1989/46806/
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  4:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My very favorite place to buy yarn, to get help, drop by and knit or just visit is Stitches from the Heart, a charity organization and a non-profit store. The profits from sales go towards their charity. Stitches sends handmade clothing, blankets, and love to premature babies all across the nation. They also have a senior program that helps seniors help others by donating yarn and supplies.

http://stitchesfromtheheart.org/index.html

Located 3306 Pico Blvd. Santa Monica, CA 90405 866-472-6903

Just east of Yarn Unlimited on the same street.

The staff are volunteers and always ready to help weather you bought your yarn at their store or not. Ellene Warren runs the classes for the schedule:
http://ellenewarren.com/

I've taken a couple of classes and they were great!

Happy Knitting,
ana
venice beach, california
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  08:55:55 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be in the LA area next week. Any updates to this list? Any additions or deletions?

Thanks to all!

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

slaggyc
Permanent Resident

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  1:49:46 PM  Show Profile Send slaggyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there anything in Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan Beach areas?

Chelsey

Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  2:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beach Knitting just opened in Manhattan Beach (on Sepulveda); very nice owners/staff, they took over the location from the previous/NOT nice owner.

There's also a nice store in El Segundo on Main.

Nothing in Hermosa.

L'Atelier is in Riviera Village in Redondo Beach. Pricy but some lovely yarns.

Concepts in Yarn is on Hawthorne in Torrance. Never had much luck there.

hope that helps,

Steph

http://sunsetcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1989/46806/
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

elliela
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  6:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit elliela's Homepage Send elliela a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

Here's a post I took from the LA SnB Yahoo Groups. It's a new shop, just opened and I haven't been there yet:

"Greetings Eastside knitters and crocheters and crafters! The Little Knittery is
open for
business. We are located on the SouthWest corner of Franklin and Vermont in Los
Feliz
(next to the House of Pies, inside of Steinberg & Sons).
Check out the website at http://www.thelittleknittery.com.
Free gift with purchase. And we love to giftwrap! Hope to see you soon!

xoxo
Julie
The Little Knittery
4712 Franklin Avenue
LA, CA. 90027

Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat 11 am - 7 pm
Thur 11 am - 9 pm
Sun 11 am - 5 pm

p.s. We do discounts for resellers and charity knitters."

If anyone does check it out, please pop in here and let us know what you thought.

Happy Holidays!
Ellen

See what I'm up to at:
http://naturallycurly.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

slaggyc
Permanent Resident

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  7:19:32 PM  Show Profile Send slaggyc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I'll have to check out Beach Knitting!

Chelsey

Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  07:22:18 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! thanks. My sister-in-law and I will be getting one girls' day out while the guys are at Universal Studios, and the stores we hit depend on where she feels like driving that day, but thanks for all the options.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

anglophilefromca
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  11:56:14 AM  Show Profile Send anglophilefromca a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New to Southern California? Visiting? Here are four shops that offer a wide variety of yarns and shopping experiences...

I live in the South Bay for the last 29 years and relay on Concepts in Yarn on Hawthorne Blvd. They have great variety and there are helpful people. I have noticed, however, that they leave you alone while you are looking and do answer questions thoroughly. They are not overly chatty... and that's fine. They have also held onto handpainted needlepoint canvases and the requisite yarn.

Another shop down the road in Redondo Beach, L'Atelier, has a fine variety, however, over the years, the shop has fostered a "clubby" atmosphere that may be intimidating to a novice or a visitor. The women who congregate with much time on their hands are often in a tizzy about some drama... like I say, many are there with too much time on their hands. Karen, the owner is actually very helpful and nice... she is just very, very busy.

If you have the time and the inclination to drive a bit, check out La Petite Knitterie in Ladera Ranch. South on the 5, to Crown Valley Parkway. Go east until CVP almost ends. The shop is in a new (about two years old) and quaint shopping center. The shop is
clean and organized. Kat has opted to carry lovely yarns: Noro and Rowan to name two... AND she has an excellent selection of rovings, dyed locally, for the spinner. The women who work there are kind and very friendly and the atmosphere is friendly, not clubby. Great selection of specialty needles also.

One of my favorite shops in Southern California is the Black Sheep in Encinitas. Karen has festooned the shop with yarn, rovings, class projects, and an incredible selection of all types of yarns. In this shop, you will find just about everything you need for fiber arts including dyes, rovings, raw wool, spinning wheels, etc. There are a wide variety of classes offered at the shop that include the basics like learning to knit and assembling projects. However, there are more classes that draw out the creative ghosts we all have lurking behind the kids, school, church, games, etc. They are open on Sundays... 12 to 5 and you are in the heart of quintessential Southern California with surfboards, cyclists, and latte-drinking locals hanging out.

Hope this helps...
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  07:34:04 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been to all of the stores mentioned, but here are my thoughts on the stores I have visited most recently:

The Knitters Studio (West Hollywood) - I had a very good experience there. I was just there yesterday and the store was empty and quiet. Good for me. Thre was one employee sitting at the table knitting and she was helpful when I asked questions. They have lots of nice yarn. Koigu, Noro, Colinette and all the other stuff. Very good selection. They also have a frequent buyer punch card and if you get on their e-mail list, they send coupons out approx. twice per month. As I was checking out, I met the owner and she was very friendly with me. I will definitely visit again. Another good thing is that they are open on Sundays.

Stitch Cafe (Valley Village) - Love this store. It is always busy, but it is very lively and I just like the feel of it. Manos, Noro, Debbie Bliss, Rowan, Prism, Cascade, Misti Alpaca and tons and tons more stuff. Very helpful and friendly staff. They send out a newsletter every week and they often have sales. The hours are good, too. They are open every day and late one or two days per week.

La Knitterie Parisienne - Yes, they have TONS of stuff. They vibe can be a bit snobby. I don't really like the service I have received there, but if I really need something and I know they have it, I will send my husband in to pick it up. He works very close by and they have a great selection of Addi's that I cannot usually find anywhere else. I haven't been in there lately, but I will give it another try. They do have a very large selection of buttons, too. I have never seen or heard of a sale here, but maybe they do have them.

Yarn Garden (Studio City) - Cute store. Small, with limited selection, but friendly staff and nice yarn. Noro, Manos and everything else. They always have cute ponchos and other project samples on display.

Simply Knitting (Santa Clarita) - this is my LYS and they have a very good selection. They carry just about everything and I hear they are getting Malabrigo and Koigu soon. They don't carry Addi's, but I am hoping they will. They also have a good frequent buyer program that is really nice. Their hours are good, too. Open both Sat. and Sun. and late a couple of nights a week.

Wildfiber (Santa Monica) - Nice store. I wish they were open on Sundays. Lots of Manos and other natural fibers. I love their sale section and the store just has a nice vibe. I like stores like this...wood floors, natural fibers. For some reason, stores like this are my favorite. They just seem cozy and artsy. They have a good selection of Koigu and Addi's, too.

Unwind (Burbank) - I have only been in a couple of times and it is very spacious. You will not feel crowded here. Lots of yarn displayed by color (not my fave, but whatever) and I do remember they carried a lot of Lana Grossa and a few other brands. I think they have a wider selection now. The staff is friendly, too.

La Petite Knitterie - in Ladera Ranch. Not anywhere near where I live, but I was in town for my daughter's soccer tournament, so I stopped in. A beautiful shop. Lots of natural fibers. I think they only carry natural fibers. Spacious shop with a big table in the middle. Rowan, Malabrigo, Noro, Blue Sky Alpacas and some specialty yarn that is made by one of the ladies that work there. Beautiful hand dyed yarn. Friendly and helpful. Definitely worth a visit.

Yarn Lady (Laguna Niguel) this is really in Orange Co., but if you are there it is worth a visit. Lots of beautiful yarn and projects on display. It is worth a visit to see the shop and all the sample items displayed. Huge selection of yarn. Lots of Prism and other harder to find brands. Lots of Addi Turbo needles and Lantern Moon, too. They are closed on Sundays.

I know there are more that I am forgetting, but that's a start!

J.
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  11:05:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few more...

Alamitos Yarn Company on the south side of Long Beach, on the harbor. Such a cute shop, with gorgeous yarns, buttons and other great stuff.

In Orange County, Suzoo's in Costa Mesa. Every color of Brown Sheep you could possibly need.

The Sheared Sheep--a newish store in Newport Beach. Nice stock, good ambience.

Strands and Stitches in Laguna Beach, small but full. Yarns are color coordinated.

All of those shops have web sites. Just Google them and you'll find them right away.

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oshnpashn@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  10:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit oshnpashn@yahoo.com's Homepage Send oshnpashn@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You gotta check out Knit One Purl One in Granada Hills. It's my favorite yarn store. The owners are WONDERFUL and the employees too.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
Go to Top of Page

tigerlounge
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  1:52:07 PM  Show Profile Send tigerlounge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Black Sheep Knitterie in Hollywood - really sweet little store, with a great selection of quality yarn, and a nice table to sit at. Very mellow and accomodating.

As for La Knittierie Parisienne. Kind of like High School. If you were one of the 'popular girls' in Eighth Grade you'll probably do fine there. If you weren't you may get this uncomfortable feeling that everyone is going to start trashing you the minute you walk out of there. Great selection though.
Go to Top of Page

Janice Rosema
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  2:35:17 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Rosema a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of my favorite yarn shops include many that you all have mentioned. Wildfiber is definitely a favorite. There is one not mentioned that I particularly love Unraveled on Colorado in Monrovia. They have a web site: www.unraveledknitting.com

It's a gorgeous shop, very friendly and inviting with a cozy place to settle in and knit if you chose. There are lots of little cafes within short walking distances including one next door. The yarns are spectacular and they also have great buttons! Check it out.

In Temecula, which is a little farther south, there is the Temecula Yarn Shop www.temecula-yarn.com Again, a gorgeous shop, very nice and helpful people and great yarns.

I don't remember if anyone mentioned The Knit Cafe on Melrose but it has a great feel to it as well.
Go to Top of Page

anglophilefromca
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  4:23:06 PM  Show Profile Send anglophilefromca a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to add KUDOS to A Mano on Venice Blvd. It is on the south side of Venice Blvd, just a block or two East of Venice HS. The shop is very friendly and very helpful. They have a great selection of yarn and as good a selection of needles and notions. They are open until 8pm on Wednesday evenings. The shop hums with activity and welcomes a diversity of knitters from beginners to the vets.

A Mano is also carrying a growing supply of rovings for spinning on a drop spindle or on a wheel. There is some discussion that they will be carrying Ashford spinning wheels. I attended a FREE lesson to learn how to spin fiber into yarn on a Sunday afternoon. The people gathered at the table were a diverse group and very friendly.

If you are visiting LA from out of town, this is a place to check out. You are blocks from the beach, blocks from Main Street in Santa Monica and in the center of one of LA's oldest and trendiest neighborhoods.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?