Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Felting Books and Patterns
 The Lucy Bag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  06:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had this pattern for a 18 months and finally decided to move it to the priority list, mostly because I wanted a new purse. I finished and felted it last night and I LOVE THIS BAG!!!!

The pattern is from Two Old Bags and I knit mine with a long discontinued batch of Plymouth Galway from way back when it had 230 yards per skein in a heathered shade of burgundy with bright electric blue heathering (717) and it is so wonderful looking. It dried over night and I'll be using it today after I take pictures and find a pin to stick on it.

If you have this pattern, don't wait one minute longer, knit it! Come on try it you'll like it, I know you will.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com

Deeders
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  3:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Deeders's Homepage Send Deeders a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Dee, my friend! Do ya' have a picture posted yet? I'm dying to try felting for the first time, but can't commit myself to a project with the black wool I have stashed. Wanted to try clogs or slippers, but thought a purse/bag might be a better first-felting project.

~>* DeeDee in Illinois *<~
Go to Top of Page

KYKnitterGirl
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  1:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit KYKnitterGirl's Homepage Send KYKnitterGirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dee, how long did it take to knit the bag? I recently bought the pattern and have the perfect yarn to use, but it's bulky weight. I posted above about substituting, b/c I've never felted a single stranded knit bag before. Just curious!

H
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Purl
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  4:26:22 PM  Show Profile Send Knit2Purl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dee. I just bought the pattern and the yarn. Did you use the crochet bottom or the knit. Also the directions say to keep washing it until the right size but could you also put it in the dryer?
What did you do?

Carol
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  5:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the Galway worsted weight single strength not doubled and I used the crocheted cast on and it took me about 2-3 days to knit. I wouldn't put it in the dryer just air dry it. I used a medium sized Tupperware bowl to round out the bottom while it dried, I also used two plastic coat sized hangers to block the handles one up high and one hung low.

I just so love this bag, I'm definitely going to make another one soon, maybe the smaller sized one. My camera just got back from Iowa! (college trip)

Here's the link look in the 2005 album.

http://photos.yahoo.com/licensed2cook

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

Deeders
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  3:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Deeders's Homepage Send Deeders a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dee, that bag is FANTASTIC! And what gorgeous color!

~>* DeeDee <*~
North Central Illinois
Go to Top of Page

knittergrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  12:14:51 PM  Show Profile Send knittergrrl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I adore my Lucy...took a long time(more than your 2-3 days) to knit(not a fast knitter) but...I used the suggested Lionbrand fisherman's Wool and Koolaid dyed it!!!I swatched many times and tried many Koolaid flavors...Lucy is nowTANGERINE!!!sadly, I haven't learned to upload digital pix yet...I made the long handled one and put a brooch on the short hand too...Love your color choice...next is a smaller one w/ short handle and stripes...delta

***2005 stats--1/2 pair of socks for DD
***2005 wish list--world peace, start/finish sweater for me, ball winder
>>>>>>>>>>>>Let the beauty we love be what we do; there are many ways to kneel and kiss the earth.--Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Kellann
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  2:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kellann's Homepage  Send Kellann a Yahoo! Message Send Kellann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I thought I wanted that pattern before...but now I really want it!!!! I just finished my first booga bag... let me know what you think!!!

http://kellannknits.blogspot.com/2005/03/booga-booga.html

I am a felting fan now....I can't stop!

Kellann

"Get those needles movin' ladies and gents!"
www.kellannknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MJB
Chatty Knitter

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  8:22:13 PM  Show Profile Send MJB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi ,
Can you explain why and how you blocked the handles the way you did?

I felted 2 Vintage Bubble Bagss Wednesday night and i tied the straps to a wire in the ceiling( in the basement) so thta all 6 straps were extended up. One set of straps has an indent from the line I tied to it.
I though if i let them hang down they might have a flat spot....

I put the center yarn through the straps so i was not worried about their stretching...maybe naive of me?
thanks mjb
Go to Top of Page

Knittinit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  10:33:23 PM  Show Profile Send Knittinit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dee, your Lucy bag is great-good job and I really like your color choice!

Kellann, I like your felted bag too-great Spring colors!

I'm going to make the Kristina Bag, which is felted. I bought the pattern from Black Sheep Bags on eBay.

Brenda
Healdsburg, CA
Dreams of finished solar house & my own alpaca & angora to knit up.
[IMG] http://treed.mystarband.net/brenda/sheep2.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  07:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have some really great hangers that I bought from the Container Store, I use them for air-drying laundry items all the time because they don't leave marks at the shoulders. The hook is metal but the molded neck shoulders are made of hard plastic. They are big and would be used for hanging up really heavy winter coats and blazers. Here's a link http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=146&PRODID=59792

Once I popped the bowl inside the bag to keep it rounded I grabbed one of the hangers and positioned the longer strap around the neck portion of one of these hangers so it would dry with a nice gentle curve. I wanted that same curve in the shorter strap so I used a second hanger facing inward and then rigged it so it would hang low and not distort the long strap as the bag dried. Turns out it worked perfectly.

Think outside the box and look around your home for things to use that accomplish your end goal which is drying the bag with smooth and non-creased areas.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  08:34:21 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You Lucy looks great and I love you Bubble Bag. I have made the Bubble Bag and love it and I am on my 2nd booga bag. Now I really like your Lucy. I am on a felted tote binge. I don't know what it is, but I love the felting process, so I think I keep knitting bags so I have something to felt. I am not into slippers yet, maybe that will be next. How many bags can one person knit?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  1:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ditzy Girl
How many bags can one person knit?
Zola, Seattle, Wash.

I've lost count! I have given a number of them away so I have no idea how many I've knit up. But I do know that I'm not done yet either. So many designs so little time...

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  5:38:07 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI: I just finished felting my Lucy Bag this evening. I used Elann.com Peruvian Highland wool and in less than one wash/agitation cycle it had felted a bit more than I would have liked.
I have tugged, pulled, stretched, etc. and now cross my fingers that I end up pleased with the final result.
This is the first time I have felt with this yarn. I will definitely make both a mental and physical note.
I will also make the TALL version next time as well.

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

anang310
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  8:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit anang310's Homepage Send anang310 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic bag! I love the bubble bag too. I thought I'd hung my felting pillowcase out to dry for good...

http://www.anitaderouen.net/knitnut
Go to Top of Page

Gina70
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  3:19:35 PM  Show Profile Send Gina70 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dee, I love your vintage bubble bag - so much that I bought the Pursenalities book from Knit Picks (32% off - love it) so I can make one. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

Gina
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  9:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gina, You are most welcome, I am always on the look out for felting converts. I am working on something very cool right now but I have to keep it under wraps until I find out if it's Knitty.com worthy.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

Kellann
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  4:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kellann's Homepage  Send Kellann a Yahoo! Message Send Kellann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Dee, I can't wait, well yes, I guess I can...but I am really excited!!!!

Kellann

"Get those needles movin' ladies and gents!"
www.kellannknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bkellya
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  7:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkellya's Homepage Send bkellya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this Lucy bag, yours looks fantastic (congrats on your Booga Bag too, Kellann!) My yarn shop has this pattern ordered for me and I can't wait to try it out. Do you think this is an okay project for a new knitter? The only thing I've knit is a Booga Bag.

Kelly in Michigan

Craft Blog: http://www.walkingthewall.com/knotted-thread/

Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2005 :  8:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kelly, you might need a bit of help with some of the aspects of the bag especially if this will be your second knitting project. The cast on is a bit tricky for a newbie and some knitters need help with the grafting of the handles but please don't let new techniques keep you from knitting Lucy. Just ask for help when you need it. Learning new techniques as you go is a great way to advance your knitting knowledge.

Dee
~Licensed2Knit
www.Kneatles.com
Go to Top of Page

crazy for felting
New Pal

44 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  08:42:12 AM  Show Profile Send crazy for felting a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OKay, I love that bag - so where exactly do I find the Pattern?

Felting Fool
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.