Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Felting Books and Patterns
 The Lucy Bag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sethsgran
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile Send sethsgran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi I have just joined this forum and saw this message the LUCY BAG is fantastic. I have tried to find the pattern on uk sites but no luck. Does any one know where I can get this pattern as Lionbrand don't ship to uk and it isn't available for download. I'm pretty good at searching things out but this one has baffled me
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  3:22:00 PM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lionbrand isn't the only distributor of the "Lucy" pattern. It's actually a "Two Old Bags" pattern and I bought mine at my LYS. I would try googling "Lucy Bag" and see what comes up.

I made my DD one for Christmas...my in-laws were AMAZED, so guess what they're getting this year?

Beth
Go to Top of Page

sethsgran
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  3:47:39 PM  Show Profile Send sethsgran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks will try that :)
Go to Top of Page

YarnAndCoffee
Seriously Hooked

786 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  07:47:01 AM  Show Profile Send YarnAndCoffee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These bags are so fabulous! I have done some FT felted clogs and love love LOVE the whole process. My next felting project will be a bag -- I can't wait.

-Elizabeth in Alabama
Go to Top of Page

sethsgran
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  07:54:14 AM  Show Profile Send sethsgran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have manged to order a pattern, not from Uk but the price was fare. Thanks for the help
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  09:32:37 AM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi there,
i just finished knitting a lucy bag and now am waiting for a day here when it isn't too hot to try to felt it... i'm a little scared it's going to be another felting disaster ---
it's awfully HUGE...I mean it looks like a SWEATER!

it does seem to measure up to the dimensions given in the pattern but... does anyone have before and after felting photos of the Lucy bag - any size
(I am working on the Large-Tall) or have you seen any anywhere?
it would be good to have some idea and "felting encouragement"...

Mean People S*ck
JW
iphotos:http://web.mac.com/suziew96/iWeb/Site/
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  6:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by suziew96

Dee and Kellann -just saw your photos of your respective bags and know it was a couple of years ago that you guys originally posted but if you're both still around - great bags and photos - thanks for sharing!
better late than never?

Mean People S*ck
JW

Yes... I am still around just not so much lately. This is still my favorite felted bag...I tried but couldn't give away my Pursenalities book, no takers! LOL I am also a big fan of the "Buttonhole Bag" but that is another thread...And I think I have a new favorite I bought the Noni pattern for the Adventure Bag...now there is a beauty if ever I saw one.

Dee
www.Licensed2Knit.com
Go to Top of Page

CharRube
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  10:12:31 PM  Show Profile Send CharRube a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the midst of the Lucy bag right now and it sure is nice to hear all of the comments. I'm using Lamb's Pride worsted in the color Sable. It is a little dull, but I think it will be nice when felted, for the type of pattern. I thought about making it taller than the 100 rows, but not as tall as 120 rows, maybe 110? Has anyone done that and what was the final height? I can't wait to get it done and see how it felts. CharRube
Go to Top of Page

CharRube
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  9:05:28 PM  Show Profile Send CharRube a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Licensed2Knit, I can't believe that you can knit the Lucy bag in 2-3 days. I'm a fast knitter and I would imagine the hours it takes would take longer than that. How many hours do you knit in a day? CharRube
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  1:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CharRube

Licensed2Knit, I can't believe that you can knit the Lucy bag in 2-3 days. I'm a fast knitter and I would imagine the hours it takes would take longer than that. How many hours do you knit in a day? CharRube

As many hours as is humanly possible. Stouffer's and the crockpot help out with dinner...especially when I am on a deadline. I don't knit so much in the summer months but in the fall and winter, I strap on my knitting holster in the morning and knit knit knit...Plus I take my knitting with me everywhere, so not a minute is wasted.

Dee
www.Licensed2Knit.com
Go to Top of Page

CharRube
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  12:25:42 PM  Show Profile Send CharRube a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dee, I wish I could knit that much at a time, but my hands have some arthritis in them so I have to rest them some! I just finished my Lucy bag in Lamb's Pride worsted in the color: Sable. It is absolutely beautiful. I have felted about 40 some bags and this may be one of my very favorites! It only took two times through the permanent press cycle to felt very nicely. I had to do so little shaping. It just seemed to be such a nice pattern. Thank you for your response. Hope others try this pattern because it is great. I think I might just have to do it again even though I have so many more I would like to try. CharRube
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  09:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished a few Lucy bags recently. They're on my knitting blog, listed below.

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  2:19:37 PM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
have photo of one lucy bag completed using berroco ultra alpaca -
i modified the scale slightly as i was low on some of the colors...
the little girl i gave it to immediately put all her stuffed animals in it so i was happy and relieved she liked it

Mean People S*ck
JW
Go to Top of Page

jeanawn
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  11:09:15 AM  Show Profile Send jeanawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I am also trying to knit the Lucy bag, but I have run into a major snafu. The pattern tells you to increase to 120 stitches, but at the end of the pattern, when you are getting ready to do the handles, the pattern require 135 stitches. I hope someone knows what I am talking about....help??!

Jean
Go to Top of Page

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  2:58:40 PM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi Jean,
I think the way the pattern is stated is confusing - now i remember how i had to write out the numbers on a sheet of graph paper in order to understand it.

The directions say:
K19, BO 22, 1 st on RHN, K16, place these 17 sts on stitch holder A, BO 4 etc etc..

You should have a total of 120 sts - that is correct.
so you K19, BO22 - then as the instructions say, you will have used 23 sts to BO 22 (you have one left over). now you K16, and put those last 17 sts that you just KNIT (including the one left over from the BO22) onto your stitch holder A. continue as the instructions say - the last K16 puts you back knitting into the first K19 that you did if that makes sense.

If this helps you visualize the whole strap thing, you will end up with 4 straps, each 17 sts across. between the 4 straps, there will be 4 gaps, 2 with 4 BO sts, and 2 with 22 BO sts.
which totals: 120 sts !!!

so 17 sts (=Strap #1), BO 22 (=Gap #1), 17 sts (=Strap #2), BO 4 (=Gap #2), 17 sts (=Strap #3), BO 22 (=Gap #3), 17 sts (=Strap #4), BO 4 (=Gap #4).

once you finish all 4 straps, you will graft the straps together in pairs so you end up with two "loops", one short and one long.

Hope that helps - I got really confused too when I first tried the pattern - I kind of wish they had explained the strap situation or drawn a picture so it made more sense.
starting with K19 really threw me off - that's when I took out my graph paper to draw it out.

If it still doesn't make sense, please let me know and maybe I find a better way to explain it.

I will also email this to you in case you don't see this in time (hopefully you aren't staying up all night tearing out your hair trying to figure this out.

peace, jane

Mean People S*ck
JW
Go to Top of Page

RMarden
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  2:58:45 PM  Show Profile Send RMarden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen your pictures and love the bag.

Where can I get a pattern for the lucy bag????

Ruth

Noreaster

A Knitting Gramma in the north country
Go to Top of Page

RMarden
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  3:02:54 PM  Show Profile Send RMarden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to ask............

Would any of you ladies be able to tell me where I might also find a pattern for children's felted mittens

Thanks so much for your help

Noreaster

Go to Top of Page

CharRube
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  11:11:14 AM  Show Profile Send CharRube a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beverly Galeska's felted book has a wonderful pattern for felted mittens in all sizes from children through men. I've made several of them and they turn out so beautifully. I love all of her patters! CharRube
Go to Top of Page

RMarden
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  07:45:53 AM  Show Profile Send RMarden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, CharRube
I'll be sure to check it out
Ruth

Noreaster

Go to Top of Page

sethsgran
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  3:52:40 PM  Show Profile Send sethsgran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made the Lucy Bag for my DIL for christmas and she loved it. I have just ordered the pattern for the Bravo Bag to knit for her for next year. I have been given bagfulls of yarn suitable for felting so I have the choice of approx 20 colours/types without having to spend a penny.

http://www.paviyarns.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_CBBB

Isn't this lovely!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by