Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Knit Picks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2037 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  5:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.
Clara, as per your usual great reviews, thank you for profiling the Knit Picks yarns for us.
This is a compnay I have placed orders w/ in the past so they are not a new company to me.
When I rec'd their most recent catalogue, I was swept off my feet by the descriptions, prices, colors, availability of these yarns. OK, I was a bit dubious: would they be as great as the seem to be?
Your review of them, I think, can put our minds at ease. Thanks so much for telling us about them.
Martha

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  5:41:08 PM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
marfa we would also like your opinion on the yarn you've bought from them.Also, how is their shipping, reliability, etc? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  5:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great review, Clara! I've been holding off on ordering some of the new yarns to play with, and now I'm sure I'll be pleased with a purchase because of your evaluations. Thanks for doing all the leghand-work!

Jane
jcc28

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes

My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2037 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  6:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do.
Stitchmd, I don't remember exactly the brands of the yarns I ordered from them - they were the large yarn company names. Also I ordered needles, gizmos, etc.
The service was quick & efficient too.
Martha
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  6:21:45 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I'd like to know is whether Knitpicks plans to completely phase out yarns from other companies to sell only their in-house brands? Or do they plan on expanding their selections to make other companies' yarns unnecessary?
Carol S.
Go to Top of Page

aefost
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  6:46:49 PM  Show Profile Send aefost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The review says the sock garden and sock landscape are superwash wool, but the knitpicks site doesn't say that, so I assumed they were hand wash only. Can anyone tell me if they are superwash? I know the self-pattern sock yarn is superwash.
Go to Top of Page

SallySue
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  6:52:10 PM  Show Profile Send SallySue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am beginning a scarf/shawl with the new KnitPicks alpaca cloud and I think the yarn is great. Less than $12 for yarn for a beautiful shawl is unheard of!
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  7:04:27 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aefost

The review says the sock garden and sock landscape are superwash wool, but the knitpicks site doesn't say that, so I assumed they were hand wash only. Can anyone tell me if they are superwash? I know the self-pattern sock yarn is superwash.

I read it the same way. If my memory serves, the washing instructions on the SG & SL labels both say hand wash. When I'm finished with my SL socks, I'll machine wash the leftover and let you know what happens

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  7:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks to me like they are phasing out all other brands of yarns. I don't blame them. They're offering something unique. Why clutter their site with what everyone else is selling.

I'm knitting up a hat in Wool of the Andes - their staple "workhorse" yarn. I really like it and the more I knit it the more I like it. Manipulating this yarn seems to make it even softer.

I think the biggest issue they will face will be supply. If they can keep up with the demands great, if they're constantly having to say "backordered" ... well - it's a business issue, time as well as money.

I wish them luck and thank them for finding a way to ease the cost burden for us knitters!

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mcmircle
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  9:04:42 PM  Show Profile Send mcmircle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently shared the KnitPicks catalog with some friends at work. I expect I'll order from them, since I did before, with great service.

Before I'd seen KnitPicks' new approach I had gotten some Peruvian Highland wool from elann.com for $2.25/50 gram skein. It's knitting up well. I wonder if they have the same supplier?

Michelle in Evanston
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  10:08:25 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michelle, my Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks doesn't look or feel like the Peruvian Highland Wool from Elann. The Elann yarn has more of a sheen to it, and is less tightly spun (I think has fewer plies, although I haven't gotten up to go check this). The Knit Picks yarn has more of a matte finish and is plied tightly so it knits up into nice firm, clear stitches. Hope this helps.
Lin
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  10:33:22 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm tempted but, with such huge demand how does it affect the natural environment in Peru? Are the natural habitats being decimated in favour of factory farming?

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

DaniM
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  11:41:15 PM  Show Profile Send DaniM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering...the review mentioned washing, etc. but I am always worried about how the yarn behaves with friction. I'd hate to make something like a sweater just to wear it a few times and get that awful pilly, worn look at friction spots like underarms and sides/flanks. Anyone have feedback?
Thanks! :)

I am still learning...
Go to Top of Page

MandellaUK
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  03:12:22 AM  Show Profile Send MandellaUK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wish I could try these yarns. Unfortunately, however, Knitpicks doesn't ship to Europe. Boo.

Mandella, Weymouth, England
Go to Top of Page

Joykins
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  07:21:39 AM  Show Profile Send Joykins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw these yarns at those prices in that catalog and wondered what the catch was. I was thinking of making my husband a sweater (that's OK after 10 years of marriage, right?), so I ordered a few skeins to swatch them and get a feel for them before making the sweater commitment. I ordered Elegance and Andean Silk yarns to compare. I liked the Elegance, but knit up next to the Andean Silk--well, Elegance was delicate and feminine, while the Andean Silk looked rugged and masculine (but so soft!) so of course we went with the Andean Silk. I'm very pleased with the yarn so far. My swatches from the Andean Silk made a nice hat and then I ordered 25 more skeins for my husband's oversized sweater.

So what do I do with 9/10ths of a skein of Elegance, that's the question? Baby mittens?

Joy
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  07:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mistake on the Sock Garden and Sock Landscape -- the superwash comment was intended for the Simple Stripes self-striping sock yarn, which is superwash and is 75% wool 25% nylon. Sock Garden and Sock Landscape, as you correctly pointed out, both require hand washing. I'm sorry about that!

Bess is right that supply will be an issue. Kelley told me that they really didn't know what to expect. It was a huge risk and investment on their part (which is probably why more major retailers haven't dared do this), so they tried to be reasonable in their initial supply.

Now that they know the public accepts their yarns (and is accepting them at a significantly higher rate than predicted), they've been able to restock in significantly larger quantities. So I feel pretty confident that any initial out-of-stock-isms will be resolved soon.

Carol S., I had the same question about whether Knit Picks was going to phase out all other manufacturers. Unfortunately, Kelley went away on vacation before I could squeeze an answer out of her. As soon as I do hear, I'll let you know. For some reason I've been assuming that this will be it, Knit Picks yarns exclusively. But I don't know yet for sure.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  09:34:23 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BAD CLARA!!! To those of us on yarn diets, this is THE WORST NEWS EVER!!! I shouldn't have looked, but your review was irresistable, as I suspect the yarns will be too. Seriously though, thanks for a great, balanced review (as always).

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

kavatar0@excite.com
Chatty Knitter

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  10:20:10 AM  Show Profile Send kavatar0@excite.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara,

How do these yarns wash up? Do they hold up to wear and tear?
Go to Top of Page

ptarmigan
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  10:38:52 AM  Show Profile Send ptarmigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree with the statement about bulky alpaca. It may not be useful for whole sweaters for people who live with central heating, but it is great for smaller items to wear outside in cold weather like hats and mittens. And it makes great toasty warm sweaters for small dogs that have to go outside in the cold. But I guess one could bulk up the Knit Picks yarn by using it double or triple.
Go to Top of Page

Apple Cider
Chatty Knitter

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  11:54:12 AM  Show Profile Send Apple Cider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clara, I add my thanks to you for a great review! This is probably the most useful review,overall, you've ever written (and that's saying quite a bit!)

I have three skeins of Alpaca cloud, waiting to be knitted up (2 for the Ocean Waves scarf in Lavish Lace and one for the smoke ring pattern available from KnitPicks. I have to confess to petting the skeins!

I AM glad to hear about the cotten and will be waiting anxiously for those lines to be available! Spring is near!!

As for someone's question about the company's service and reliability, I've ordered from them quite a few times,and have had nothing but good experiences (especially when you call in an order). Don't expect super fast shipping, though...usually takes about 5-7 days. But it's free for any order over $30, so I'm not complaining.And it's in line with other online services. Besides,when I need it fast, I look to my LYS.

(No, I have no association whatsoever with KnitPicks!)

----------------
~The Other Julie

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly. - Arnold Edinboroh

My blog: http://needlesandspin.com
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  12:00:58 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only complaint so far is that they gratuitously changed an "O" to an "a" in my name- despite my name being clearly printed on both order form and check -

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?