Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

emilykrag
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  11:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit emilykrag's Homepage Send emilykrag a Private Message
Hello! I just wanted to let everyone know that the Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needle company has been bought by my mother, and is now in production again after a few years hiatus. The previous owners are now in their mid-80s and had stopped manufacturing and marketing due to illness. My mother and I are long-time Denise enthusiasts, and found out that the company was for sale when I (aargh) lost my set during a move. So, along with buying a new one, we bought the company! For those of you who aren't familiar with the Denise set, it's a unique interchangeable kit with 10 needle sizes and a large number of possible lengths of straight and circular needles. It's also much more affordable than other interchangeable sets, and the connection does not come undone like screw-in needles. The previous owner, the man who designed them, is an incredibly clever engineer. Check out our website for more information - http://www.knitdenise.com. I'm so thrilled to be working on this, because these are the needles I grew up using, and though I've worked with many other needles, these are still my favorites. Happy knitting!!

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  1:42:32 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Emily: Congratulations and good luck to you and your Mother in your new venture. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2002 :  1:42:32 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Emily: Congratulations and good luck to you and your Mother in your new venture. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

emilykrag
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  2:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilykrag's Homepage Send emilykrag a Private Message
Thanks, Beverly! This has been one of the most inspiring parts of starting this business - all the support from other knitters. What a wonderful group of people!

Emily

Go to Top of Page

emilykrag
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  2:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilykrag's Homepage Send emilykrag a Private Message
Thanks, Beverly! This has been one of the most inspiring parts of starting this business - all the support from other knitters. What a wonderful group of people!

Emily

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2002 :  07:57:37 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Any plans to add smaller needle sizes and shorter cables? I'm looking for a set but I want sizes 2 through 13 and I'll need to be able to make 12" & 16" circs with the set.

--Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2002 :  07:57:37 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Any plans to add smaller needle sizes and shorter cables? I'm looking for a set but I want sizes 2 through 13 and I'll need to be able to make 12" & 16" circs with the set.

--Kristin
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1994 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  2:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
When I visited the LYS today, I saw this set - looks quite interesting. Have any of you all bought them? What do you think? Any recommendations?

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1994 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  2:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
When I visited the LYS today, I saw this set - looks quite interesting. Have any of you all bought them? What do you think? Any recommendations?

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  4:52:38 PM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
Marfa, I've had a set of Denise needles for many years. I really like the practicality of having all the diffent sizes and styles of needles at your fingertips (literally!). I also like the smooth yet not slippery feel of the plastic needles -- a happy medium between metal and wood. Lastly, I like how they're organized in the box. Everything you need is right there in one tidy container (assuming you remember to put all the pieces back!!) Occasionally, I get frustrated by the slightly rough edge of the join but, for the most part, I still like these needles and use them frequently. (FYI, I've never had a problem with the cable and needle coming apart -- UNTIL someone mentioned it on the forum recently. That night, when I went home, my cable and needle came apart mid-row for the first time! Ah, the power of suggestion...)

Pookie in Seattle

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  4:52:38 PM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
Marfa, I've had a set of Denise needles for many years. I really like the practicality of having all the diffent sizes and styles of needles at your fingertips (literally!). I also like the smooth yet not slippery feel of the plastic needles -- a happy medium between metal and wood. Lastly, I like how they're organized in the box. Everything you need is right there in one tidy container (assuming you remember to put all the pieces back!!) Occasionally, I get frustrated by the slightly rough edge of the join but, for the most part, I still like these needles and use them frequently. (FYI, I've never had a problem with the cable and needle coming apart -- UNTIL someone mentioned it on the forum recently. That night, when I went home, my cable and needle came apart mid-row for the first time! Ah, the power of suggestion...)

Pookie in Seattle

Go to Top of Page

gayle
New Pal

Ukraine
1 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  10:02:21 AM  Show Profile Send gayle a Private Message
Trying to access your web site and having problem. Are needle sets still available? Trying to show family what I want for my birthday. Thaks,gayle

Go to Top of Page

gayle
New Pal

Ukraine
1 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  10:02:21 AM  Show Profile Send gayle a Private Message
Trying to access your web site and having problem. Are needle sets still available? Trying to show family what I want for my birthday. Thaks,gayle

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  11:39:50 AM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
I got a set for Christmas from my DD's. They are soooo wonderful--I'm completely hooked. It's worth the $$ up front--you will spend much more buying all the needle sizes/stitch holders individually.

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  11:39:50 AM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
I got a set for Christmas from my DD's. They are soooo wonderful--I'm completely hooked. It's worth the $$ up front--you will spend much more buying all the needle sizes/stitch holders individually.

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  12:03:34 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Gayle, they definitely are available. You can reach Emily directly at emilykrag@hotmail.com. She's wonderful to work with -- very customer oriented. I bought a set back in January from my LYS...one of the sets with the "sticky" cables. I recently found out that the difficulty I was having with those cables was a manufacturing problem for them (on sets sold November thru January), not something I was doing wrong. I wrote to Emily and in less than a week I had new cables! They are a different material from the first set and they are a wee bit smaller. Now if we could just get them to make smaller needles so we could knit socks with them!!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  12:03:34 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Gayle, they definitely are available. You can reach Emily directly at emilykrag@hotmail.com. She's wonderful to work with -- very customer oriented. I bought a set back in January from my LYS...one of the sets with the "sticky" cables. I recently found out that the difficulty I was having with those cables was a manufacturing problem for them (on sets sold November thru January), not something I was doing wrong. I wrote to Emily and in less than a week I had new cables! They are a different material from the first set and they are a wee bit smaller. Now if we could just get them to make smaller needles so we could knit socks with them!!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

emilykrag
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  3:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilykrag's Homepage Send emilykrag a Private Message
Hello all! I've been so busy with the business and with graduate school (I answer the emails from Montana while my mother and the Denise business are in Virginia) that I haven't been back here for a while. Thanks so much for all the kind words! We've gotten lots of requests for smaller sizes, so I wanted to let everyone know the scoop on that. Our needle manufacturer (a very clever man) is mulling over the possibilities, but it'll be quite a while before we work more extensively on it. The difficulty is that all parts of the kit would have to be redesigned to allow for smaller needle sizes. Larger needle sizes wouldn't be a problem since all that would be necessary is a new larger mold, but the cord and connecting piece in the current set is just slightly smaller than a size 5 needle, so they would both have to be redesigned. We're still getting things going with this project and are having a wonderful time. I love answering the emails that are now pouring in from around the world (got one from the Philippines this morning and we got orders last week from the Falkland Islands, the Netherlands, and New Zealand!), answering questions, chatting with people who use and love their Denise kits, etc. etc. PLUS, our website (www.knitdenise.com) is now up with lots of pictures, information (including an ever-expanding list of shops that carry the kit), and online ordering. We're thrilled with it.

We did have a bit of a glitch in the first manufacturing with the cords, so if anybody out there has gotten them and had problems, please do contact us for replacement(info@knitdenise.com). The newest cords are really wonderful. We've switched to a different cord company after getting some "corrected" ones from the last company that are still not quite as good as we wanted them to be. These new ones are still very flexible, but much more slick, and are also the diameter they're supposed to be! This makes the connection much smoother. Happy Spring and happy knitting to everybody!

All the best,
Emily

Go to Top of Page

emilykrag
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  3:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilykrag's Homepage Send emilykrag a Private Message
Hello all! I've been so busy with the business and with graduate school (I answer the emails from Montana while my mother and the Denise business are in Virginia) that I haven't been back here for a while. Thanks so much for all the kind words! We've gotten lots of requests for smaller sizes, so I wanted to let everyone know the scoop on that. Our needle manufacturer (a very clever man) is mulling over the possibilities, but it'll be quite a while before we work more extensively on it. The difficulty is that all parts of the kit would have to be redesigned to allow for smaller needle sizes. Larger needle sizes wouldn't be a problem since all that would be necessary is a new larger mold, but the cord and connecting piece in the current set is just slightly smaller than a size 5 needle, so they would both have to be redesigned. We're still getting things going with this project and are having a wonderful time. I love answering the emails that are now pouring in from around the world (got one from the Philippines this morning and we got orders last week from the Falkland Islands, the Netherlands, and New Zealand!), answering questions, chatting with people who use and love their Denise kits, etc. etc. PLUS, our website (www.knitdenise.com) is now up with lots of pictures, information (including an ever-expanding list of shops that carry the kit), and online ordering. We're thrilled with it.

We did have a bit of a glitch in the first manufacturing with the cords, so if anybody out there has gotten them and had problems, please do contact us for replacement(info@knitdenise.com). The newest cords are really wonderful. We've switched to a different cord company after getting some "corrected" ones from the last company that are still not quite as good as we wanted them to be. These new ones are still very flexible, but much more slick, and are also the diameter they're supposed to be! This makes the connection much smoother. Happy Spring and happy knitting to everybody!

All the best,
Emily

Go to Top of Page

emilykrag
New Pal

6 Posts

All the best,
Emily

Go to Top of Page

emilykrag
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilykrag's Homepage Send emilykrag a Private Message
Me again! I forgot to say, we've also gotten lots of requests for shorter cord lengths (especially for making certain hat patterns). One of the things I love about this kit is you can easily alter the cord lengths at home. Here's how to do it: take a cord you'd like to shorten and make a small cut in one end to release the black connecting piece (a razor blade works well or an exacto knife - however you spell that). Measure and cut the cord to the length you want, then soak the cut end in hot water to soften the plastic. Reinsert the connecting piece, and there you have it! It's amazingly easy and quick to do. Enjoy!

Emily

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.