Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Malabrigo Yarn from handpaintedyarn.com
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  11:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People have been saying amazing things about this yarn in every review I've read. I have ordered lots of it. It is as soft and wonderful as they say. I too was surprised how even the stitches looked, b/c the yarn didn't! The colors are intense.

The only two characteristics of this yarn to be aware of is that some buyers found that the color they received was slightly different than what they thought they were ordering, and that it had a vinegary smell.

I think that the dying process is not a predictable process and there may be some slight variability in their colors. The company will cheerfully give you a refund if you are unhappy. Since I find all the colors to be beautiful, I just learned to be a little flexible in my expectations, and buy all I will need at once to make sure it is all the same color.

I am glad to hear that the vingegar smell goes away. I must say that none of my yarn, and I bought quite a bit, smelled like vinegar.

Carie

My name is Carie and I'm a yarnaholic.

(***hi carie***)

knitgrrl.com
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  11:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitgrrl.com's Homepage Send knitgrrl.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(FYI -- I'm repping this yarn line in MI, OH and Ontario, so if any store owners need wholesale info, email me!)

Believe the reviews -- this stuff is amazing. The merino, in particular. I've had experienced fiber people ask me if it's alpaca, or if there's silk mixed in. It's that soft! :)

Shannon Okey

knitgrrl.com
anezkahandmade.com
Go to Top of Page

phyllisg@toto.csustan.edu

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  11:57:29 AM  Show Profile Send phyllisg@toto.csustan.edu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I placed an order from Handpaintedyarn.com in December. The post office messed up and kept my box without either delivering it or letting me know it was there, but Marcos was really great at helping me track down the package. I haven't knitted anything yet with the yarn, but it looks and feels wonderful. The colors are gorgeous. And the price really can't be beat. Oh, and I discovered that Marcos is quite likely my distant cousin!
Go to Top of Page

krysta1751
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  12:00:10 PM  Show Profile Send krysta1751 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm making a garter stitch baby jacket out of the worsted merino from Malabrigo and it is so soft that I know the little recipient could easily wear it next to the skin. Like Cara said in the review, the yarn I bought has a faint smell of vinegar. Now I know I can just wash it out. I love the blotchiness of the kettle dyed color. I'm using a color called lettuce. Can't wait to order enough for a full sized sweater for moi!
Go to Top of Page

cancoi
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  1:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cancoi's Homepage Send cancoi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this yarn; I got some previously in the thin/thick bulky, the novetly boutone (great for Clapotis), and recently the alpaca/wool in Huerta.

It knits like a dream and I will NEVER go back to Manos (and I was a Manos junkie prior).

Marcos is wonderful, helpful. Enjoy!

The act of discovery becomes what the work is all about. - Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

gabrielleadams@hotmail.com

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  1:49:28 PM  Show Profile Send gabrielleadams@hotmail.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I adore this yarn. I bought on eBay to make a felted knitting bag with. But after knitting with it for a while, I knew there was no way I was going to let this luscious stuff become a bag. It's in my stash now waiting for the proper sweater pattern. You can see a swatch of how it looks knit up in garter stitch at http://froghollow.typepad.com/frog_hollow/2005/02/embarking_on_a_.html in the Richocolate color. I'm definitely sold on this stuff.
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  2:03:57 PM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks great in garter stitch! I have gotten several colors in lots of different quanities. A few of the colors were either lighter or darker than I expected but I don't really mind that. I did have two colorways where there was a little too much color variation between skeins. You can see what I am talking about on my blog - there is a picture of the Clapotis I knit. I think as long as you take potential variation into account you will be fine. As for softness - can't be beat!!!!

http://ontheneedles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

freecia
Chatty Knitter

195 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  2:10:24 PM  Show Profile Send freecia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for telling us the two were the same. I picked up a skein from Stitches West and wanted more. At these prices, wow! I will order some once the knitters stop overloading the website ;)
Go to Top of Page

rfknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
282 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  2:17:00 PM  Show Profile Send rfknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made Clapotis with Pure Merino in the pink Vivacity colorway. There is some color variation but that's because I had to order another skein to complete (it took 4 skeins). The last skien is lighter than the original 3 but it's not noticeble when I'm wearing it.

I agree with Clara's review that you will probably get a few wears out of it before the garment turn into a big fuzz ball. My Clapotis is very fuzzy right now and my black shirt is very linty :(

Steph
Go to Top of Page

sanesi
Chatty Knitter

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile Send sanesi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate waiting and can't get on their website. Grrr. I was going to get some Manos del Uruguay for a scarf, but am thinking this might be the way to go, if I can ever look at it.

My new blog: http://paintpurl.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  3:40:48 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sanesi

I hate waiting and can't get on their website. Grrr. I was going to get some Manos del Uruguay for a scarf, but am thinking this might be the way to go, if I can ever look at it.

My new blog: http://paintpurl.typepad.com/

I'm finding that the web pages load very slowly for some reason, and I have DSL!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

Soxy
Gabber Extraordinaire

New Zealand
389 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  4:34:37 PM  Show Profile Send Soxy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm finding that the web pages load very slowly for some reason, and I have DSL!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet

[/quote]

Received my Knitters Review this morn and has since spent all morn looking at their www. It is driving me nuts!!!! it is SOOOOOO slow! And I am dying to order!!!!! I have broad band too.

Sock Addict
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  4:40:44 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never noticed the site being particularly slow before. My guess is Clara's review garnered them a bit too much positive attention and they're being flooded with more visitors than they're used to right now. After a day or two, I'm sure it will be better.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep; his cupidity may at some point be satiated: but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

sweetea
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  4:46:48 PM  Show Profile Send sweetea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am making a cabled baby sweater out of Polar Moon and while I absolutely love knitting with it, and agree it is next-to-skin-soft, I am concerned it will totally pill and fuzz with use.

I guess there is no way to avoid that . . .
Go to Top of Page

LandShark
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  4:58:16 PM  Show Profile Send LandShark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Delurking...

Sweetea -- if you don't mind my asking, how does that color compare to the picture on the website? It caught my eye, but I know that their pictures aren't always accurate when it comes to the color of the yarn.

I'm knitting the hooded sweatshirt from the Yarn Girls' book with the merino (it calls for Manos) -- so, so soft! I did have issues with the color not being too consistent from skein to skein...I have one skein that's much darker than the others, and I opted to knit a few rows, switch to another ball, and so on and so forth (carrying the yarn up the side). I can already tell that this stuff will fuzz-up with wear and time, but hey, I'm knitting a sweatshirt -- a worn look will just add to the charm!

I also have some of the boucle yarn -- nowhere near as soft as the merino (duh), but very pretty. I plan to make a scarf and a hat out of it.
Go to Top of Page

MissKitty
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  6:46:28 PM  Show Profile Send MissKitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Landshark, I just ordered some in purple yesterday for the same sweatshirt. I ordered a couple balls to play with and realized I had to have a sweater. I think it will make a great hoodie!
Go to Top of Page

LandShark
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  6:57:01 PM  Show Profile Send LandShark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MissKitty, I have the front and back finished and am working on the sleeves right now -- I think it'll turn out wonderfully! One thing I'll say, though -- the sweater patterns in that book are a bit on the short side. I've added three inches to the front and the back...it would be really, really short otherwise.

I'm trying to come up with an excuse to order more of that yarn, even though I swore I won't order yarn except when I finish projects!
Go to Top of Page

sweetea
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  9:01:07 PM  Show Profile Send sweetea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Landshark,

I ordered two skeins of Polar Moon and two of Stone Blue. Both are beautiful in person, but slightly different than I anticipated.

The Polar Moon looks very contrasty in the pic but in real life my skeins did not have as much dark blue as in the picture. It's overall a palette of pale grays -- pale gray/blue, pale gray/lavender and a pale gray/white. Also, one of the two skeins is a bit more blue than the other. Nothing that noticable and I am not alternating skeins as I knit.

The two skeins of Stone Blue are a gorgeous mix of denim blues, from dark to light, although there is no pure white like there is in the website picture, or even a very pale blue.

Hope that helps!
Go to Top of Page

Mokihana
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  11:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mokihana's Homepage Send Mokihana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how any of their yarns would work for socks.. any idea?

Aloha,

Mokihana
Go to Top of Page

Carie
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  08:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carie's Homepage Send Carie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruthfarm, what you said worried me! Does the Malabrigo merino turn into a fuzzball? How soon? I ordered a bunch to make sweaters out of, but I don't want to spend all that time making something that is going to look old and worn out after a few wearings and a wash. I hate fuzzy, worn-out looking sweaters (store bought or otherwise) and I throw them out (well, give them to charity).

What, exactly, was your experience? How would you rate its durability?

Thx,

Carie

My name is Carie and I'm a yarnaholic.

(***hi carie***)
Go to Top of Page

Savitar
Chatty Knitter

311 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  09:49:11 AM  Show Profile Send Savitar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To the question about using the yarn for socks -- I ordered some yarn supposedly specifically made for socks at this company's E-bay site over a year ago. It did not work well. First, there was not as much yardage on the skein as advertised. Second, there wasn't much ... spring to the yarn. I know I'm not describing that well, but the yarn did not have any plies, and seemed to be just fiber. Lastly, the socks felted after the first wash. Now, this just applies to their yarn advertised as "sock" yarn, not any of their other yarns. Personally [although I'm a new sock knitter] I prefer washable wools for socks after losing my first pair to felting.
Deon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.