Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Occupation of Male Knitters - Is there a trend?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

stweinerdog
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  11:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit stweinerdog's Homepage Send stweinerdog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see I have two doctorates, one in veterinary medicine and one in toxicology. Although at this time I am a microbiologist working on food safety issues in poultry science. Definately techie.

BTW, I have noticed quite a few biologists and information scientists (i.e. librarians) in the local SnB.

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat.
--Alex Levine
Go to Top of Page

edelsma
Permanent Resident

Canada
1182 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  3:47:44 PM  Show Profile Send edelsma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Alex,

Love your Irish Coffee quote.
Pity, alcolho and I don't get along well, otherwise I would be having Irish coffee everyday. Love caffeine, sugar and fat, though!!

Margaret in Waterloo, Ontario
~~~
When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self.... Confucius~~~

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/edelsma/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

OneStaple
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  7:12:01 PM  Show Profile Send OneStaple a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a male electrical engineer who knits, as is my brother and my dad (he only knits a little though). My sister, while still in high school, will most likely be an engineer as well. My mom is the only person in my family that doesn't knit, and she's a lawyer. Score four for the engineering/knitting family!

--Tyler
Go to Top of Page

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  8:55:48 PM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess I'm all over the place here... I have a BS in nursing and just finished my Masters in Health Science. I currently do contract medical case management for a workers' compensation insurance carrier. I love carpentry also... and the arts. Only the people here however, can know how important knitting and spinning are to me. They are a haven for me and an excellent decompression tool when I've had a rough day at the office.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you understand what you are doing."
-Guarantee Reserve Guardian
Go to Top of Page

BarryK
New Pal

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  9:30:56 PM  Show Profile Send BarryK a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am an urban planner, with a BA in geography and a masters in planning. My other hobby is woodturning...I think of myself as a techy-arts kind of guy.

Barry
Go to Top of Page

KibitzerKrazi
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  8:37:29 PM  Show Profile Send KibitzerKrazi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My cousin Brian is a student at CalPoly, going into enginnering. He's the one who got me crocheting and knitting! I'm planning on going into commercial design after I graduate next year.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  10:50:11 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely a non-techi. I'm logical, but not mathematical, and I have no spatial visualization skill, which means I have to try eerything before I'll know if it will work. Makes designing challenging, to say the least.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  9:54:40 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that the trend holds up too well. I am an education major at a school that has quite a few engineers. So far, I am the only guy who knits on campus.
Go to Top of Page

Barry1948
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  11:58:17 AM  Show Profile Send Barry1948 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one that noone has mentioned. I'm the macho semi truck driver. I also knit. I jbnitted a blanket for the truck, a winter cap and 2 sweaters so far. It helps pass the time when I'm held up at a plant waiting to be loaded/ and or unloaded.
Go to Top of Page

DorsetMartin
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  01:53:40 AM  Show Profile Send DorsetMartin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I teach Pre-K & before that I was a chef!

You made a mistake.
It's homemade. Nobody's purlfect in this world!
Go to Top of Page

kjkst
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  06:09:09 AM  Show Profile Send kjkst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I might not fit the mold either ... I am a biker, father of three and in the military[crazy]. I am a Navy journalist/broadcaster and been in for 19 years. However, my first eight years in the Navy were as an electronics technician (I hated it).

I just started knitting a few months ago as I am deployed away from my family in the Washington DC area. I do make quite a sight though. On the Saundays I ride to church and then into DC on my big, flashy, loud Harley and find a parking spot on the Mall near a shady tree or bench. Then I sit around for an hour or two, in my jeans and boots and knit!

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

FreeSpirit
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  09:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit FreeSpirit's Homepage Send FreeSpirit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting has great appeal to those interested in physics specifically. There is something very "Tao of Physics" about knitting. Turned heals are an ingenious arrangement of lifts and pulley systems. Percentage knitting is a dream of proportions. And, fitting is wonderful example of how garments occupy space. Any one who wants to know how to shape reality in a physical sense would be drawn to knitting. But, knitting also can shape spiritual and mental realities.

In the face of destruction, yet will I create!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  10:34:09 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not a guy, but I started out as a fine artist in oils, commercial artist illustrator/graphic designer, moved to spiritual healer. Very non-techie. Knitting for almost 50 years I have enjoyed doing very complex patterns and designs (designed clothing and toys too) but I do everything from a visual spatial understanding. I love charts. I make things up as I go along and I never exactly follow a recipe, pattern, etc...no never ever ever, and I always enjoy the experience and the results! Yes, I know I'm a little eccentric.
Go to Top of Page

tinkknits@aol.com
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  1:43:53 PM  Show Profile Send tinkknits@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a Manicurist for over 20 years, had my own salon for 12 of those. I now am a caregiver for a disabled man that lives with us so I have alot of time to knit.

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

Gelsomina
Chatty Knitter

250 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  3:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gelsomina's Homepage Send Gelsomina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a chick with a bachelors in computer science and masters in systems engineering. I develop tactical warfare systems for the DoD. I was an Engineering Duty Officer in the US Navy for 6 years. [crazy] Sometimes I feel like girl trapped in a guys world who knits to escape it! [:00]
Go to Top of Page

SurfinSandy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  06:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurfinSandy's Homepage Send SurfinSandy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm NOT a mathematical person, I had to take pre-algebra twice in high school to pass! I hate math! But it's an unavoidable part of our world. I'm a stay at home mom fixing to start working for the first time in 15 years. I'll be working at my favorite coffee shop where my knitting group meets. The biggest thing about jobs that scare me...is counting the money right!
I have realized, and shared with my kids, that in order to do things we want to do, we need to learn, at least, simple math. We do it when we shop, budget, measure ingredients for cooking. I had also noticed that some of the best quilters and quilt designers are also mathematical type people.
For me...the desire to do lace was greater than the desire to avoid the math involved. I just recently finished a shawl that I chose three stitch patterns for and completed with such success! Not only was I pleased with the results, I got grand champion on it at the county fair.
See my post in Lace forum about my son wanting to learn lace! (he's still in high school, but is beginning to fit your profile for male knitters)

Surfin'Sandy

No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
Go to Top of Page

n2rockwlls
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  1:59:30 PM  Show Profile Send n2rockwlls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count me into the non-techie column. I work in law enforcement.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay, bf and I both work in technical theatre, are we techie or artsy?

I'd consider myself techie, as I don't do anything to create or perform the show, I just make sure it is all organized and goes properly every night. I don't have much of an artistic vision, and am definitely not a designer or performer, nor do I work in any of the shops, although I could. Although I am very math and science and logic-inclined, I don't use much in my department, besides the occasional logistics problem. My job, in a nutshell, is to supervise the show and make sure it stays consistent with the director's vision of it and Equity and U/RTA guidelines.

BF, who also knows how to knit, although he doesn't often, is a set and props carpenter/technical director and makes gorgeous things out of steel, wood, anything he can get his hands on. He loves stage automation and has to deal with math and physics frequently.

Maybe we would be one techie and one non? If we count bf, that is...or maybe just a non...hmm...

God created man before woman because it is always necessary to make a rough draft before creating the masterpiece!
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

aranworld
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit aranworld's Homepage Send aranworld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a fine arts major in college who has migrated to website design and programming. But I could have easily majored in math or physics in college, so count me as a techie knitter.

I definately love the technical side of knitting and -- when they were still in print -- was drawn to Alice Starmore's books, because she approached knitting from such a scholarly historical angle.
Go to Top of Page

Zack2849
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  07:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Zack2849 a Yahoo! Message Send Zack2849 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...interesting note about the scholarly and historical angel. I too gravitate towards those aspects of knitting, spinning and other related activities.

I have a MS in Management Science emphasis upon Health Care Policy/Administration, with notable clinical experience and bio-med research. As an undergrad, I majored in Biology & Management with minor in chemistry along with an unusual interest in physics...likely, looking for explinations of how things function and relate to one another....that's in part why I like the analytical aspects of the fiber arts - especially knitting.

Professionally, I'm in a state of transition that has lasted longer than I anticipated - arggg.

Semi-Techi? Hyper-Analytical!

Best,
Joseph
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth