Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Occupation of Male Knitters - Is there a trend?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

subdue it with a sweater
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  7:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit subdue it with a sweater's Homepage Send subdue it with a sweater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a grad student in conceptual art. I learned to knit in order to take the edge off of school.www.subdueitwithasweater.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

4ply
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  07:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit 4ply's Homepage Send 4ply a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Fran waaaaaaaay back on page 1 - "combine math and science and creativity"...as an IT professional, my favorite project ever was my Fibonacci Sequence scarf... it was googols of fun!

Scott
Go to Top of Page

nrsbear
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  1:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit nrsbear's Homepage Send nrsbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Male knitter here...nurse by training, performing arts (theater) by love.

I can so understand engineers and techies and such finding knitting interesting. It's highly mathmatical, can be VERY exacting...but it puts out a product a little warmer and cuddlier than a skyscraper or a well-excicuting program.

Attention to detail is stimulating and it usue another part of their brain.

Being from the creativie side---I find my self not such much about the detail (look at my first cabled sock and the REALLY intersting I did the heel gusset and decrease and ope hole here and there) but about the overall presentation.

If I can hold it up 5 feet from you and you say "Wow", that's what I want. I don't want you to examine it and say, "OHhhhh..there's a yo hole here right next to the cable...or..."THAT'S an interesting way to have done that...." Go for the WHOLE impression :-)

nrsbear
Michael Johnson
San Jose, CA
Go to Top of Page

Durango
Chatty Knitter

181 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  12:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Durango's Homepage Send Durango a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a female knitter, just started this year. I was a biochemistry major in college and am now in heath care. I like the mathematical part of knitting, taking a conceptually one dimensional object like yarn and turning it into a 3 dimensional object like a sock or a hat. I also love the mathematical aspects of lace knitting. I've enjoyed needlework and crafts all my life, so knitting seems like a natural fit with the scientific part of me. I've noticed that female knitting bloggers seem to be likely to be techies, but maybe the non-techies don't blog or use a computer as a resource for their knitting. I would expect that engineers, male and female, would be naturals as knitters: essentially practical, good at making things and figuring things out, usually methodical, and just basically nice people.
Go to Top of Page

Pekoe
New Pal

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  7:22:10 PM  Show Profile Send Pekoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've come to love knitting in such a short time. While still an undergraduate student, I am studying to become a registered nurse. A male nurse and a male knitter are both somewhat uncommon, aren't they?

I can't say I like knitting for the mathematical aspects of it; math was never my strong point anyhow. The repetitive, almost meditative act of knitting is what I really enjoy. That, and the creativity aspect of it all.
Go to Top of Page

MindyO
Permanent Resident

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  11:16:55 PM  Show Profile Send MindyO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to throw off your vibe or anything, but I am kind of weird I guess. First off I'm a girl... so count me out now if you want I don't have a "real job" as in I went to college and have a career. I DID go to college to be an electrical tech so I could 'fix stuff' dropped out when I realized I didn't want to be a TV repair chick.
I currently work as a customer service rep and use a computer with lots of navigation between several programs to help the customers. I'm also one of those people that never actually reads directions unless I absolutely have to. I'm a look at the pictures and pieces on hand and figure it out in your head kind of person. I thrive with Ikea directions! Most of my knitting is also done this way, I think about it and just kind of work it out as I go. I'm also a poke the buttons and hope for the best rather than actually read the manual person. Cell phone, GPS, TV...no manuals unless absolutely needed for a specific function.

So I'm pretty sure I'd be a non techie, no title or degree. But oh so technically inclined...
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  05:53:53 AM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a non-techie Hebrew teacher, love to knit. My hubby knitted all the way through grad school, he is a psychiatric social worker and refuses to knit any more. He is more technologically savvy than I am, and is also a sculptor. I am enjoying this thread, thanks for starting it.

"When I was young I admired clever people. Now that I'm old I admire kind people."(A.J.Heschel)
Go to Top of Page

pultzr
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  05:28:19 AM  Show Profile Send pultzr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that ther is a certain mathematical aspect to knitting I however am a early childhood teacher (2-5). But I know thta when I start using more complicated patterns I will probably have to read them over 50 times.
-Pultzr
Go to Top of Page

Noodles
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  08:45:05 AM  Show Profile Send Noodles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a male knitter and I have no interest in technology Im going to school now to become a College teacher in english and theatre

-Johnathon
Go to Top of Page

MINItron
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  02:27:36 AM  Show Profile Send MINItron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a Male knitter. I am also an Avionics Technician in the US Navy. I am also one of those creative/techie combinations. I enjoy making things with my hands, and knitting appeals to both sides. I also have a lot of the symptoms of dyscalculia. As a result I tend to see numbers as patterns, so knitting fits into that as well.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

eldergirl
Permanent Resident

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  4:16:29 PM  Show Profile Send eldergirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a custom designer/dressmaker for 37 years, and I made my own designs and patterns. Now I write and interpret knitwear designs for fun, and am a passionate knitter! I think design of any sort is very technical, and used to defend dressmaking as "yes, Virginia, it IS rocket science!" Well, maybe.......but engineering and creativity are a wonderful, awesome joyful combination in a person!
Yay for geek artists!
Anna
Go to Top of Page

chiral
Warming Up

Australia
68 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  04:32:08 AM  Show Profile Send chiral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been a primary school teacher (specializing in music) and have just completed a degree in Biology/Geology and a minor in Paleontology.

Not sure if this puts me in the engineering category but I do dabble in computer programming in my "spare time".

I draft my own sewing patterns and design all my own knitting so I guess there's a maths element somewhere.

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
Go to Top of Page

virgilmacgreg
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  5:11:54 PM  Show Profile Send virgilmacgreg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kyench

yes margaret,you're a techie

9 techies vs. 6 non techies

This is fun..... who else??

KC

http://boiknit.blog.com/

I couldn't agree more. Knitting is something not to be made as a career. It is something like our passion to a hobby. We may have other career to generate money but there are really things that we wanna do aside from working.

vancouver condo rentals http://luxurycorporatesuites.com/corporate_suites_rentals_furnished_richmond_bc.html
Go to Top of Page

Gibson Girl
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  10:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gibson Girl's Homepage Send Gibson Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Professional female artist/painter here with minimal math skills. I've been knitting for nearly 50 years and frequently figure out a stitch pattern by looking at the photographs(not the directions or charts)in knit books. So I guess you'd say I'm a visual person and that there are several ways to approach knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Momabear
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2013 :  07:08:34 AM  Show Profile Send Momabear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I Like this Knitting thing, My wife and I are both getting into it now. I've been a fabricator for over 30yrs the last 10 or so, now I have moved into the transportation field. I drive a big truck! this leaves lots of idle time on my hands, waiting in docks. So a hobby that keeps me busy and allows me to have something to show for my time seemed like a good thing. I like the loom and also the crochet needle.
Go to Top of Page

robinstephanie
Permanent Resident

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  11:51:08 AM  Show Profile Send robinstephanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Momabear, looks like this is your first post. Welcome to KR, and hope to see more posts from you. I love your description of waiting in docks in your truck, knitting!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by