Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Career Talk
 Music and Knitting....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kfgardner
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  6:10:25 PM  Show Profile Send kfgardner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have noticed several names with music involved in this forum. I, too, am a musician as well as a knitter (I'm assuming these musical names means you are involved with music in some way). I play the harp (got a wedding to play coming up shortly). Are there any other musician/knitters out there?

I find knitting sort of zen-like to put one in the right mood to practice.

Kimberly

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  6:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't currently describe myself as a musician, but it's what my college degree is in (musical theatre performance, specifically). I've played flute & violin successfully, drums on occasion, piano when forced, and sung my whole life.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

allgreenthumbs
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  8:03:36 PM  Show Profile Send allgreenthumbs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sing for church. I picked up guitar for a year, then cut off a piece of my index finger with a bread knife and had to quit until it healed up, but I haven't started again yet. Someday I will actually be able to keep a beat on my own. Someday...
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  07:07:39 AM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. Classically trained, two master's degrees, play in professional part-time orchestra. Knitting keeps my hands warmed up for practicing, AND, keeps my mind OFF the music when I need a break. However, knitting and spinning has messed up my practice routine. Not that it wasn't messed up before... :)
Used to teach private lessons, but couldn't take the stress related to dealing with kids AND their parents.
Hence, a day job to support my music habit.
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  07:18:34 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another - piano, voice...more recently, handbells. Now that the handbell phase is over (group disbanded, boo!) I think I'll have DH teach me to play the guitar. Gotta keep those brain cells exercised!
Lin

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/tinyfrank.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

DeAnn
Seriously Hooked

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit DeAnn's Homepage Send DeAnn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Played music before I began knitting---flute, guitar.
Just recently found my favorite instrument of all, the dulcimer. I am so in love with this instrument and play every day.
I want to learn the harp and the drums.
I don't listen to music while I knit tho, it distracts me from my intricate lace patterns.

DeAnn
http://womanofmanyfaces.typepad.com/

When the chips are down.....
The Buffalo is empty.
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2210 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  08:56:18 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message  Reply with Quote
singer

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Frannybee
Warming Up

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frannybee's Homepage Send Frannybee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play euphonium, have done for nearly 20 years. Also dabble in sousaphone for marching bands and hand percussion for other bands. Sang as part of chamber and performance choirs for many years and studied music at uni before turning to nursing.
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  12:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sing. Hubby and eldest son both play guitar and electric bass. We perform together, mostly for church, where I am assistant Worship Leader.

I sing everything from Opera & Classical music to Jazz to Contemporary Christian. The CC is my favorite.

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  1:24:00 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played piano for as long as I can remember. I also learned the violin, and briefly experimented with the flute, trombone, and accordion (OK, I still whip out the accordion sometimes to play my mum some Austrian Christmas carols).

Now I live in an apartment sans piano, so I'm thinking of taking up the guitar over the summer.

One thing I dream of doing is buying a real fiddle and heading to PEI and seein' if I can learn how to fiddle East Coast style.. *that* would be FUN!
Go to Top of Page

jennybensmom
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  3:04:42 PM  Show Profile Send jennybensmom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play the harp, too, & also some piano and violin. I was told that playing music utilizes both sides of the brain; reading and math on the left (analytical), and the creative aspect on the right. It seems that that would also apply to knitting, especially when you have to change a part of the pattern you're working on to accomodate either a different gauge that what's written or a body type that doesn't quite match the "model" used. Anyway, I probably do more knitting than practicing/playing (tsk, tsk) but at least my fingers are moving ;-).

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

kfgardner
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  4:51:34 PM  Show Profile Send kfgardner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, another harpist! I was beginning to think I'm an oddity.

Kimberly
Go to Top of Page

singerdeb
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  5:27:33 PM  Show Profile Send singerdeb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an interesting group we all make! :)

I started piano lessons at 8, flute at 9, organ at about 12....and voice when I went to college. I eventually got my B. Mus. in Voice Performance; spent 20 years in regional opera, private teaching, being a mom, and associate pastor's wife. Got the Master's in Performance.. I have been full-time faculty at a small university for 14 years now, and about to finish my doctorate in voice to satisfy the university. I enjoy Jazz, B'way, Contemporary Christian, et al. (And the "associate pastor" is now the Senior Pastor. ;) To quote Peter Schickele, aka "PDQ Bach" quoting Duke Ellington: "If if sounds good, it is good." There's a lot of truth to that.

I enjoy being a professor - the teaching, the rapport with students, the "good stuff." But I despise the bureaucracy, the meetings, the politics. The affiliation is of a pacifist organization, so people will not confront...which produces a lot of passive aggression. I am one to confront, hash it out, get over it, so I have never really fit in. So, my creative outlets are CRUCIAL! I paint - mostly on furniture in a technique that uses artist acrylic paints to achieve an "old world" effect. with layering, glazing, etc. I sew, have done lots of other needlecrafts, and recently fell in love with knitting all over again - after having it all tucked away for about 12 years.
I don't think I'll let it languish again - at least not for that long!
I'm getting quite a bit of knitting done during the summer - I should be writing and preparing 2 recitals - but I have my priorities!!! :)
Deb

Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1927 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  6:14:01 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have sung in community choruses and choirs all my life. I chant Torah in a Reconstructionist synagogue and teach Hebrew chanting to adults and kids.
Chayah in NY
Go to Top of Page

Maybird
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  01:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maybird's Homepage Send Maybird a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm about as musical as a bucket, but love music and singing, and my husband is a pianist and plays the bassoon. He thinks it's the rhythmical 'patterned' aspect of knitting that makes it appealing to the musically inclined. He doesn't knit himself, but he does like to watch me do it and ask questions.
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  10:29:40 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a singer, and play the flute and recorder. I also compose when the muse hits me, which isn't all that often these days.

~~justine~~
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  04:48:05 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maybird

I'm about as musical as a bucket, but love music and singing, and my husband is a pianist and plays the bassoon. He thinks it's the rhythmical 'patterned' aspect of knitting that makes it appealing to the musically inclined. He doesn't knit himself, but he does like to watch me do it and ask questions.

Mine plays bassoon as well. Jazz bassoon, now that's a treat! I have no musical ablity either, but I'm a great audience. Hey, it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it!

Barbara

Healthy conservatism promotes the continuity of civilization, the importance
of community, the dangers of thoughtless change. It does not, or should not,
assert the right of white, Christian heterosexual males of a certain age to
limit the rights of everyone else. The past 100 years of social history has
been dedicated, on good days, to constraining the dominance of this
minority. Yesterday was a good day: J.Ibbotson, June 29/05, on the passing of the same-sex marriage bill.

Go to Top of Page

Cecioboe
Seriously Hooked

USA
824 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  7:22:01 PM  Show Profile Send Cecioboe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a professional oboist. I teach 35 private students weekly and play in 3 part-time orchestras, sub with our 2 local opera orchestras and do lots of church work.
My DH is also a pro - cello. He does lots of weddings, special services, operas and is a top notch (published) arranger who has clients all over the US.

Noisily submitted-
Ceci
Go to Top of Page

periwinkle
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  05:25:26 AM  Show Profile Send periwinkle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So many musically talented people here. My own 2 cents: I have performed in the local community college choir in the past 4 to 5 years and in other ways at my church. Such a wonderful thing to sing with a group and hear & sing the harmonies. I also learned to play an instrument called a flutophone - don't laugh! - when I was in grade school. I think it's also known as a recorder. I absolutely loved that plastic thing. I might have pursued it further if some bully hadn't taken my flutophone and broken it. I tried piano one semester and found it helpful to read music. Does it count that I enjoy all kinds of music from classical to alternative (80's) to world to Indian/Hindu music?

You are never given a wish without the power to fulfill it.
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  06:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a singer, and a novice (as in not any good yet) clawhammer banjo player. I used to play mandolin, but gave it up because it messed up my hands. Well, my messed up connective tissue messed up my hands, but it's easier to blame the inanimate object.

http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  04:47:50 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trombone and flute here. Is the connection a right brain-left brain thing, or is it a generalized kinesthetic ability?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?