Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Leftover yarns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rfknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
282 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  11:22:52 PM  Show Profile Send rfknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not sure where to ask this question but my leftover yarns are fast becoming their own stash so here it goes:

After a project is done, do you stash the yarn labels and a yard or two of the yarns? How do you store them?

I have a lot of leftover yarns from past projects. I always keep the label with some of the yarns and put them in 4x6 plastic bags. But I think there is a better way to store them. I dont like my system right now because I have to buy more bags every time I run out (and I need to get another container because my current one is already full of these little plastic bags).

Any ideas? I was thinking of maybe making my own shade card binder (heavy duty construction paper, hole punch them and tie the yarns in the holes) but not sure where the yarn labels would go.

Of course, if there are too much leftover, I keep them in a separate container to be used on smaller projects.

Thanks!
Steph

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  11:33:19 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the yarns doing anything for you other than clutter? If I knit an item for somene else, I give them the label and any extra yarn, and they decide if they want to hold on to it for repairs in the future.

When I finish a project for myself, I'm done with it and take any left over yarn to local yarn swaps.

If you are actually going to do something with all the yarn then it's worth organising; otherwise just pass it on.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

rfknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
282 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  03:00:47 AM  Show Profile Send rfknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not talking about full balls or partially used yarns - those I'm keeping around in a separate bin for smaller projects. I'm mainly curious about if (and how) other people store yarn labels and scrap yarns (like a yard or two).

I keep them for future reference. For example, if I want to substitute a discontinued yarn which I used before, I can check the yarn label and scrap yarn for feel, texture, etc, right in my closet!

Sigh. I think most people keep the gauge swatch instead of unknitted yarns?

I've never participated in a yarn swap. Can you swap a single, partially used yarn?

Steph
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  05:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep short lengths for use as waste yarn, but not for reference - I use the ball band for that. A simple envelope would probably keep them all together, in any case (so many of my projects use provisional cast-ons that my waste yarn stash is usually about two or three pieces, so I just keep them loose in the notions drawer!

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  06:11:49 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I`ve never participated in a yarn swap either, but if it was an unusual or particularly pretty/expensive yarn I`d probably be interested in it just to experiment with. I quite often buy single balls of something that catches my eye, so I can knit a few squares up or a hat or whatever. Saves expensive mistakes.

Also several part balls of the same yarn presented as a batch in a yarn swap, labelled with total or ball weights, might be interesting also.

But really, if you have 500 x 3 yd pieces of scrap yarn, I would say you had a Kaffe Fassett project that you hadn`t got round to knitting yet!

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  07:28:55 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I were organized enough to keep the label and a sample of the yarn from each project...along with notes. But I'm not. I tried to keep a knitters journal with what I made, tape the label and a length of yarn on the page. But I just didn't keep up with it...
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  07:46:51 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have so many leftover skeins of yarn that I can't return because I ordered online or in a kit. I am saving my Philosophers Wool yarn so that I can make another fair isle sweater with it. Also have a lot of Blackwater Abbey leftover that I will do the same with -- will probably make a bag with it. The yarn I can't take back I'll make hats and scarves with, maybe socks.

I use those space bags and keep everything in my closet. Might not be the best way to store it, but it doesn't take up much room that way.

Another big issue for me is how to store all the sweaters that I've knitted!
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  9:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest getting yourself a journal or blank book, and dedicate it to those scraps. Tape in the label, a bit of the scrap yarn, and write down any notes that you would want to remember. It also may be helpful to include a photo of the FO made with the yarn- good to remember how something drapes.
autumn's daughter
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  10:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they are substantial leftovers why not save a tiny bit and store like autumn's daughter suggested and use the rest and make something?

~~~~Jamye

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  02:50:25 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scarp yarns I just throw out, same with labels. I don't keep gauge swatches; I unravel tham and use them in my project. I do take pics of yarn, label, and finished item with the digicam and have a digicam folder for knitting. Serves the same purpose but no clutter.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  7:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruth- Try one of those vaccum seal bags that you see on T.V. you can get them at walmart in the laundry stuff section (like iron boards and laundry bags) you can put your stash in then suck all the air out and it shrinks it to a nice size to slip under the bed. I fit a bunch of pillows and a larger comforter in one and it was thinner than a text book almost.

[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/Eva/Eva.jpg[/IMG]
~Courtney [IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/knitting.gif[/IMG]
So many projects, so little time!
http://crzyboutcrochet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  9:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I save them for fringe but I have yet to use.....but I plan to!

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  05:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another great idea is to call local schools, the library, animal shelters, and nursing homes. The first two can use yarn for crafts and/or knitting for kids, the animals always need mini-blankets, and those in homes would wlecome the chance to keep busy with some fancier yarns.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  05:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could make hats out of the scrap yarn (knit with a color until it runs out, do a round in black, repeat). Or you could make that fish blanket (it doesn't use much yarn and you could easily make multi-colored fish).

I don't keep anything less than 3 yards or so. What I keep I butterly with the partial and full balls.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2674 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  10:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there's enough to use in another project, I keep them in bins sorted by weight - when the mood strikes, I pull out several coordinating balls and make a hat. If it's small lengths, it goes in my "inspiration box." I started keeping it after I took a color workshop with Brandon Mably a few years ago. He said in Kaffe Fassett's studio they keep a bin of odd scraps of all colors and fibers. When designing a new project or colorway, they dump the bin onto the floor or table and look for random new color combinations. It was a whole new way of thinking about color for me - I tend to classify and organize like with like, ordering colors like the rainbow (you should have seen my crayon box when I was a kid!) To toss everything out at random and see what strikes the eye was a big stretch for my brain, but it has made me much more adventurous with color and texture.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Imknittin
Chatty Knitter

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  08:41:09 AM  Show Profile Send Imknittin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have big glass jars and when I'm finished with a project, I take the leftover yarn, wind it into a ball and put into one of the glass jars that I leave in various places around my house. Random colors all over the place...pleasing to my eye. I may use them in another project later and I may not. I just like to look at all the colors.

Angie
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  7:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Imknittin- love the idea of the glass jars... so pretty sounding...

as for keeping scraps for reference, what about wrapping the extra yard or so around a 3x5 index card (like a floss bobbin) and labeling the side and keeping them in an index card file/recipie card box?

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  8:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use short pieces as stuffing for pillows or toys. Usually I have to add something else...unless it's really something small to stuff!

~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made a felted numbers bag from Knitty (twice the size in the pattern) and I throw all my odds and ends in there. I will probably make a stashbuster scarf or two mabye even just pull randomly out of the bag!! They are all pretty much worsted weight in there, so it could work!

Denise
I've moved to KnitChat.com
come on over!
Go to Top of Page

rfknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
282 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  12:07:51 PM  Show Profile Send rfknits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Thank you for all your suggestions! I love the big glass jars idea! Makes for random, decorative items around the house. I also love the index card idea. I think it's better than the little plastic bags I got going on.

I just want to keep a couple of yards for future reference. Anything long or usable for other projects will be kept for actual knitting purpose.

Steph
Go to Top of Page

quikeye
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  11:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit quikeye's Homepage Send quikeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, if you're only saving a few yards plus the ball bands, you may want to look into buying a ring binder and using the plastic inserts that hold trading cards (like baseball cards, pokemon cards, etc.) They'd be super easy to store on shelves, and you could sort the plastic inserts by yarn weight, fiber type, color... anything! :) Plus since it'd be flat you could probably save space as well.

Good luck! :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.65 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.