Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Seeking nearby spinners / guilds
 New York City Spinning Guild
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alerievay
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  09:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit alerievay's Homepage Send alerievay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found information on one potential guild (from the Spin Off site), but the email address does not work. I could write a letter to the address, I suppose, but I thought I would ask here first. (Apparently, I need the instant gratification of sending an email. )

Any ideas? Thanks!

Valerie

VictoiseC
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:18:47 PM  Show Profile Send VictoiseC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Valerie. That's weird you know, I found their name from Spin Off magazine also and I wrote them a letter. They did not respond. I also wrote a letter to a place in upstate NY and they did not respond either. New York spinners seem to be a sorry few. I'm looking for classes, I found one in Brooklyn at a great yarn store but the class is kind of expensive for me.

V.i.c.t.o.i.s.e
Go to Top of Page

alerievay
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  1:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit alerievay's Homepage Send alerievay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I want to take the classes at The Yarn Tree, but I just don't have the time. My job doesn't let me commit to one evening a week for 10 weeks, really. I am going to try to see if she will work out some sort of private lesson, but we'll see.

Maybe we should start up a guild and see where it goes?
Go to Top of Page

Emergencygirl
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  11:20:18 AM  Show Profile Send Emergencygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the same boat, no time on Wednesday nights when The Yarn Tree has their spinning class. If you're up for a road trip to learn how to spin, Country Wool in Hudson, NY is having an open spinning clinic on Friday Feb 10th. They will teach on any spinning topic you like that afternoon from 12pm-3pm; just let them know. I'm going to learn the basics of drop spindle and how to spin on a wheel. There are wheels to rent at $10 and the clinic is $20, prepaid by mailed check.
=Maria=
Go to Top of Page

alerievay
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  1:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit alerievay's Homepage Send alerievay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there is enough interest in having a guild, I can help organize one. The owner of The Yarn Tree did not believe there was an active guild in the city. My time is fairly limited, but I'd be happy to help in ways that I can.

Valerie
Go to Top of Page

tribemom
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  09:46:42 AM  Show Profile Send tribemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HI Guys I just started teaching beginning spinning at Brooklyn Gereral in Carroll Gardens Brooklyn. There are two courses being offered. I desperatly want to be part of a guild as I need company. There are a few of us spinners over here, and I think my friend Catherine would happily sponser us in her space (which happens to be in the bottom apartment of her home). She has a middle room she is clearing out just for spinning. Is anyone interested? I need to learn from otheres and not just books. Keep on spinning--Pam
Go to Top of Page

alerievay
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  1:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit alerievay's Homepage Send alerievay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pam, I'm interested! Is this spindle spinning, or wheel spinning? It's not that far from me, either; I'm in the Park Slope vicinity.
Go to Top of Page

yarn forever
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  01:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarn forever's Homepage Send yarn forever a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, there's a spinning group in NY. It meets on Sundays (sometimes Saturdays) -I never get to go since I work, but here is a Yahoo Groups Link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCSpinners
tribemom-I learned mostly from books, too :-)
I got to do a spinning demo in a school 2 weeks ago-it was great! Both mothers and daughters were amazed to see a spinning wheel in action (my Lendrum)-mothers were in shock "these things" are still being made and girls got to spin with toy wheel spindles-some of them even got to take them home (maybe we will get some new spinners)
HTH!
Roxy

www.roxyyarns.com/store
Go to Top of Page

alerievay
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  06:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit alerievay's Homepage Send alerievay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that information, Roxy! No one seems to know about that group, unfortunately.

Valerie
Go to Top of Page

yarn forever
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  02:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarn forever's Homepage Send yarn forever a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote: <No one seems to know about that group, unfortunately. Valerie>
They do now :-) I found it by accident, too, but I'm pretty sure they will be happy to see NY spinners join.
Roxy in NY

www.roxyyarns.com/store
Go to Top of Page

tribemom
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  09:33:03 AM  Show Profile Send tribemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Valerie and Roxy
My friends and I are thinking about meeting first monday of each month. Maybe from 6-8? The other group I will look into, but it is hard for me to leave Brooklyn during the week for unspecifeied locations. This group could always meet at the same space. Wheels or drop spindles are fine. I would welcome someone if they only showed up with some beer and good talk! Let me know if this type of stucture works for you all.--Pam
Go to Top of Page

jimbobspins
Gabber Extraordinaire

463 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  12:51:39 PM  Show Profile Send jimbobspins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meet up for:

What: Second Saturday Spin-Out

Where: Seaport Yarns 135 William Street at Fulton (5th Floor)

When: Saturday, March 11

Time: 2pm

Why: For those interested in Spinning and Fiber. Meet at Seaport Yarns on the second Saturday of each month for a quick show and tell of projects and/or demos with discussion followed by an outing to a fiber related museum exhibit , gallery or event .

Sometime between 3-4pm we will leave Seaport Yarns.

On March 11 we will head over to see the current exhibit at the New Museum of Contemporary Art in Chelsea:

Andrea Zittel: Critical Space

Of particular interest: Zittel's collection of work "uniforms", some of which are seamless and felted.

Admission to the museum is $6
$3 for students and seniors with ID
The museum is open until 6pm.

Seaport Yarns is located in downtown Manhattan right above the Fulton Street subway station (A, C, 4, 5, 2, 3, J, M) The path train is nearby and the N & R.

See you on March 11.

Jim

ps: Unfortunately Seaport Yarns is not a child friendly space. Too much (expensive) temptation at floor level for little fingers to get tangled in! So adults only, please.
Go to Top of Page

yarn forever
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  12:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarn forever's Homepage Send yarn forever a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beer and fiber? I'm in. Oh..Maybe I should ask DH first?
Mondays are great for me, Sundays I work and Saturday is a day of rest
Keep me posted.
Roxy

www.roxyyarns.com/store
Go to Top of Page

alerievay
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  07:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit alerievay's Homepage Send alerievay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't make weeknight meetings (or can't make them regularly, at least), so I probably couldn't come to the meeting you're proposing. Otherwise, I'd be happy to be there! I hope to get a portable wheel sometime this year, so I can lug it around to more meetings. I'd still like to be kept in the loop about meetings, though.

Valerie
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  09:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting that Jim.

Take care, Bev
2006 FO Count: 3
OTN: cuff down socks, toe up socks, Knitting Olympics "fair isle beret" project
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/

Go to Top of Page

cipriacot
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  4:37:01 PM  Show Profile Send cipriacot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Roxy thanks for mentioning the group. Basically I started this group a few years ago. I bought a new Norm Hall spinning whell and wanted to restart knitting avidely and discovered the NYC Guild was no more (I used to belong years ago). I found others with like interest and started the group.

We meet once monthly on weekends in each others home. Each brings a snack to share and we eat, chat, knit, spin, and share tips/info. It is a very fun relaxed group. The online group is used mostly to share info and plan meetings.

The next meeting is Feb 26th. For March we will be meeting the weekend of the 25/26. Because we meet in each others home the meetings aren't a set date but when the host is available. Can be either Saturday or Sunday as we switch.

If you need more info you can contact me privately.

Cheryl
fiberart@att.net

quote:
Originally posted by yarn forever

Hi everyone, there's a spinning group in NY. It meets on Sundays (sometimes Saturdays) -I never get to go since I work, but here is a Yahoo Groups Link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCSpinners
tribemom-I learned mostly from books, too :-)
Roxy

Go to Top of Page

jimbobspins
Gabber Extraordinaire

463 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  4:38:10 PM  Show Profile Send jimbobspins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a reminder:

Second Saturday Spin Out

At Seaport Yarns 135 William Street at Fulton (5th Floor)

This Saturday, March 11, 2pm

Seaport Yarns is located in downtown Manhattan right above the Fulton Street/Broadway Nassau subway station (A, C, 4, 5, 2, 3, J, M) The path train is nearby and the N & R.

See you on March 11. Tell all your spinner friends in NYC and surrounds.

Scroll down to the original post for more info.

Jim

ps: Unfortunately Seaport Yarns is not a child friendly space. Too much (expensive) temptation at floor level for little fingers to get tangled in! So adults only, please.
Go to Top of Page

tribemom
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  08:41:21 AM  Show Profile Send tribemom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone spinning at the seaport was great. I was so happy to find some other spinners to talk with. The plan is every second satuday of the month and the owner will give us a 5% discount on fiber because she considers us a guild. I hope more of you can come next time. 135 William st 5ht floor
Go to Top of Page

aline125
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile Send aline125 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this thread and I am so excited. I've been looking for other spinners in NY too I've actually never seen anyone else spin in person before so it'd be great to meet and chat with all of you! Please post about the next seaport yarn get together and I'd love to hear about meeting with people at each other's house - I have a nice size apartment with a dedicated craft room in Bay Ridge.

Marie
http://bklynhandspunyarn.blogspot.com
bklynhandspun@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

jimbobspins
Gabber Extraordinaire

463 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  08:55:49 AM  Show Profile Send jimbobspins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next SpinOut wil be on Saturday, April 8 at 2 pm.

Tha't the second Saturday in April.

The location will be at Seaport Yarns, 135 William Street on the 5th floor in downtown Manhattan.

So tell all your spinning friends in NYC. This is a casual event, just drop in and hang out, talk, spin and show and tell.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Emergencygirl
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  12:37:20 PM  Show Profile Send Emergencygirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pam/Roxy, Did the Monday night in Brooklyn Spinning Guild start up? I've been bitten by the spinning bug and would love to join.

Maria
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.68 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.