Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 The Calm of Knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

knittingknut
Chatty Knitter

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  11:07:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittingknut's Homepage Send knittingknut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am very easily stressed. Knitting helps take all that stress away. Just knitting and counting I forget all the troubles, real or imagined, in my life. The joy of creating something from a ball of yarn gives me such great satisfaction. It helps me deal with so many things because I can say, "Hey, look what I did". I am so glad I found knitting. I wish I'd had it 20 years ago.

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  05:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it amazing how the simple act of creating something can soothe us? Knitting comes close to the same feeling I used to get while nursing my babies - calm, centered, and focused. I'm so grateful that my grandmother and great-grandmother insisted I learn all those 'girl' things. They've given me so much pleasure throughout my lifetime!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  07:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree - I have been going thru some major stresses for the past 5 years and wish I had found knitting sooner (I even think that with the denise needles I have I could have managed to knit after my shoulder surgeries maybe not right after but after)

I have found that just sitting and knitting is so calming and when I am having trouble sleeping it helps me get to the point where I can quiet my mind and go to sleep.

rho
Go to Top of Page

ria
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  08:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit ria's Homepage Send ria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm amazed how knitting soothes me. I picked up knitting recently again. Whenever I feel frustration coming on, or annoyance with my 14 year old son (you know how that age can be) I find myself running to the nearest project and working as many rows as it takes to calm down. It works better than meditation ever did for me ;)
lol

my blog http://riahills.com/ballostring
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  08:40:40 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monday morning I was nervous before going in for outpatient surgery, and frustrated because the IV in my hand prevented me from knitting. I'm sure it would have soothed me, as it always seems to do. I also wish that twenty years ago I'd knitted as I do now. I think it would have had a stabilizing influence on me. I did crochet at the time, at least, and that was nice to have. I didn't crochet half as often as I knit now, though.

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  10:47:50 AM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree.

I recently lost a friend to suicide, and the circumstances surrounding his death are very upsetting. My knitting and crochet (haven't been able to keep my mind in spinning because I'm still learning) have kept me sane by providing comfort when there's no one around for a hug.

--
Check out what I'm up to at my blog - HookStars
Go to Top of Page

lilypad
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  2:22:43 PM  Show Profile Send lilypad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
You are all so right. I've knit through a couple of surgeries and tests for my parents and in-laws. Both of my girls are home for the holidays and I know I'm going to find myself slipping into "my" room to knit as we have our little disagreements. It is amazing how something so simple can put my mind at ease. I'm a prayer too and I find knitting is a perfect way to pray, especially in an intercessory way.
Laurie
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  2:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
now you all see why I do them menopausal socks?
I fidget.......and if I have hand work to do.....I don't fidget as bad

sure beats smoking

vi
~where oh where has my spinning wheel gone? O where O where can it be........????????

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  4:06:52 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knitting is certainly helping calm me now. We just found out that my brother has lung cancer and it has metastsized (spelling) to the brain. It has been such a shock. I'm knitting a baby afghan at the present time and that has helped me focus on a new life coming into the world - such a miracle in itself.
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  5:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by truly violet

now you all see why I do them menopausal socks?
I fidget.......and if I have hand work to do.....I don't fidget as bad

menopausal socks???? I have the menopause part down pat -- so tell me about the socks

rho
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  5:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
menopausal socks are what you do so you don't strangle someone when pms, mood swings or hot flashes happen.......

( or you bump into idiots)

simple toe ups you can knit in your sleep or in the dark.....

when you get the urge to just choke the LIFE out of some idiot....
you sit and knit socks...
I really get to buzzing on them socks at times...

vi

Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  9:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean those moods that you JUST KNOW if you could hurt someone you would feel soooo much better. The thing that makes that so funny is I am such a non-violent person anyone who heard me say that wouldn't believe that I could feel like that...

This whole menopause thing has sucked eggs. I have said more than once that

I have a gun and a bow and I know how to use both
I have a boat and I know how to run it myself (can get rid of body)
and I'm menopausal!!!!!

DH should be worried -- but do you think he is [:00]

Guess I better learn how to do socks!!!

rho
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  05:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
rho darlink....... can we talk????

I got a LIST Of folks to do away with

hmmmmmm
a really GOOD friend will help you hid the body

vi

Go to Top of Page

cumberland68@yahoo.com

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  08:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cumberland68@yahoo.com's Homepage Send cumberland68@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been bringing my Christmas knitting to work for a few months now to keep up with it. One day my colleague walked in on me and said, "Wow, you look so relaxed." I laughed!

http://advancingtheplot.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lil_knitter_chic
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  9:52:04 PM  Show Profile Send lil_knitter_chic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my highschool I am a lone knitter. Because no one in my family knits, I took a class to learn the trade. I am often asked why I knit by my peers, because they won't really understand I tell them I just like it. But the really reason is beacse knitting every night before i sleep releives all the stress of the day. You lose yourself in the clicking of the neddles and the rythym of your count. Sarah
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  08:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
rho darlink....... can we talk????

I got a LIST Of folks to do away with

I can't blame menopause (mine was surgically induced in my 30's), but I also have a steadily-lengthening list of "better deads" now that I'm over 50. Like Rho, my family and friends would be shocked that I feel this way, but I'm among friends here, right? Vi, do you have a trailer for that boat? There's a river right in back of my house...

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
New Pal

Vatican City
22 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  2:11:42 PM  Show Profile Send pinkroses a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find that knitting and crocheting ; and quilting. sewing all the needlework arts and playing piano too helps deal with stress and calms me. I have a son who drives me crazy! It helps me to learn something new and to focus on my hobbies. Pinkroses in Va. Looking to Jesus always.
Go to Top of Page

sparkleplenty
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
484 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  7:40:01 PM  Show Profile Send sparkleplenty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lil_knitter_chic

But the really reason is beacse knitting every night before i sleep releives all the stress of the day. You lose yourself in the clicking of the neddles and the rythym of your count. Sarah

You said that very elegantly, and I wholeheartedly agree.

sparkleplenty

http://sarah.teamradicus.com/art.htm
-------------------
If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Paris2005
Chatty Knitter

280 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  10:33:14 AM  Show Profile Send Paris2005 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lil Knitter Chic,

Welcome! You are not alone any more!

I also agree with you in that I find the clicking of the needles and the rhythm of the count to be very soothing and helps to put order in my busy days.

Best wishes for 2006,
Ramona
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  8:36:08 PM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always found that knitting is relaxing. And frogging is a great stress inducer and reliever at the same time.

I am so much more relaxed and happy when I just have my knitting with me. I take my knitting bag with me everywhere. I take it "just in case" I can snatch a few moments. Just a row or two... I knit in between seeing patients, waiting for the xrays to develope, bloodwork to run...name it. BTW, I'm a vet, so sometimes I have a few moments, I think more clearly and can do my best problem solving at work while I knit. Plus, I'm constructive!! If I go somewhere and don't have my knitting, then I would be sitting there twiddling my toes, thinking about my knitting.

Kristin

Beer is proof that God loves us
-Ben Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Dottie Mae
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  6:09:15 PM  Show Profile Send Dottie Mae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have puzzled for years as to why knitting is such a perfect hobby for me, and I know that part of the answer is that we all live in a fast paced, mechanized world. Knitting links us with a slower world, a more controlled world. I teach little kids, and they are all so wired nowadays. I plan exciting days just to grab their attention. So at night I am ready for quiet and for a controlled environment. Knitting is the perfect antidote to this crazy world we live in.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?