Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Addi Express Knitting Machine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  1:31:48 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My LYS has a Addi Express that they've been using. It looks like a lot of fun. They have some display scarves out that they've made using the machine and they look great. According to the website I looked at, it knits back and forth as well as does circular knitting. At the price of $199 it will just have to stay on my wish list, though.

Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  10:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd never seen one, and had to do a google search to find a picture. Linda, how many 'needles' does this have, and what approvimate gauge can it handle?

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  11:35:57 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also like to hear from anyone who has used this machine. None of the sites give much info. Can you knit fingering weight socks with it?

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

quikeye
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  1:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit quikeye's Homepage Send quikeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.addinadeln.de/pages_english/addi_express.html -- This link gives the measurements as:
Circular knitted items 10 - 15 cm
Plain knitted items 15-20 cm wide
Recommended yarns for needle sizes 3,5 - 8 mm (american # 5 - 11), though the user manual here, (PDF!) http://www.addinadeln.de/pdf-download/addi-Express_en.pdf says that "almost any yarn" can be used...
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  1:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
can we knit socks on it?
that would up amie's 200sock quote very fast

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  1:47:39 PM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since there are 22 needles (1 per stitch as I gather) I'd say this probably isn't very suitable for socks. Also, it's pretty much like a knitting machine my neice recently received made by Rose Art and available for $19.99. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007YDBBO/103-9902005-8583845?v=glance The reviews of the Rose Art machine are pretty harsh. I wasn't all that impressed with it but we did get more than an hour of play time out of it. I would guess that Addi has some metal parts internally (not just plastic) since it has some metal parts externally.
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  2:00:30 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks like what the owner of Abundant Yarns in Portland was using to make store swatches when I visited in November. Perhaps she'll pop in and confirm. I don't think it would be that usefull for anything other than that once the novelty wore off.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  2:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, the reveiws on the RoseArt peice are not harsh... One should expect it to last longer than two uses.

Two uses is what they call disposable!

Kelley

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.
Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  3:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys - I use this to make swatches (Hi KnottyKnitter) and I like it very well within it's limitations. It worked great for Kureyon, Paintbox and Cascade 128/Cascade 220 to make tubular swatches. I also tried some Jo Sharp Infusion Mohair and some Anny Blatt novelty yarn and I was not satisfied - the knapp all went to the inside of the tube and even when you turned it inside out the smaller yarn size didn't work. I think because it makes more of an interlocking loop than a true knit stitch as I found out when trying to knit together some slipped yarns in the middle of a swatch.

IMHO it wouldn't work at all for socks, even the stitches with worsted weight yarn are large. I'm going to make up more swatches for some new spring/summer yarns that we have received and I'll see how they work.
It takes me (or an employee really) about 5 or 6 minutes to work up a tubular swatch from an entire skein of Kureyon. I have also put in a lot of time making them flat according to their directions and I wouldn't recommend it.
As an aside, I went up to Seattle to Skacel before the holidays with Leigh (my coordinator for classes/retreats) for an open house with the director of Zitron yarns and Skacel had little speed competitions using the Express and the winner of each group won one - we didn't win another one but as consolation prizes they gave out slippers that said "Knitting Queen" on them. It was fun and we got to go to IKEA too.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:19:47 AM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought my grandaughter a little singer knit machine at Costco. So far it's lasted more than two uses and she loves to make little scarves with it. Maybe I'll play with hers when the urge hits!!

Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich
Go to Top of Page

LindaRae
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  3:39:39 PM  Show Profile Send LindaRae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Nanaknit! This has nothing to do with topic, but just finished listening to "Four To Score" (source of sign off quote), & recognized that great line!

Another Stephanie fan,
LindaP
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  3:56:09 PM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there LindaRae, Janet Rocks!!!

Linda

Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  05:01:51 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$199 seem really steep for an all plastic machine. When I first saw the post I thought wow- neat- until I saw the picture. No way would I put that kind of money out for plastic. Oh well, maybe something better will come out to play with.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

adalai2000@yahoo.com
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  11:20:40 PM  Show Profile Send adalai2000@yahoo.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the Addi Express at The Knit & Crochet Show last April in Oakland, CA. In April 2004, I visited Japan with my family for a short vacation and I saw the identical machine in a Japanese department store named Tokyu Hands. Even though the instructions were in Japanese, the pictures were pretty self-explanatory, so I bought it.

It was named "I Knit" (the only English in the whole package) and...hold onto your hats... I paid the equivalent of US$45 !!!!!!!!! My machine is absolutely identical - right down to the colors - to the Addi Express.

When I saw this in Oakland, I asked the Addi guy about this and he said they were only targeting retailers - yeah, right!
However, I jot got my catalog from Herrschner's and I could **not** believe the price of $200 - who ARE these guys kidding?

Look, I've been using it for over 2 years now. It is fun and a little wacky to use, but it is NOT worth $200. It is VERY hard to find a yarn that knits up at the right gauge - also, some of the novelty yarns catch in the needles and tangle or jam.

It has 22 needles, spaced far apart, so you cannot knit socks with this thing, at least not with sock yarn.

You would not want to knit sweater sleeves with this (as suggested by Herrschner's) because there is NO WAY you could ever match your gauge.

Sorry, I consider this a major consumer deception at $200!
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  10:52:38 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it plastic, it looks like it? It reminds me of a plastic toy knitter I had many many years ago as a child. It seems awfully pricey for it's limitations.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine at Stitches for less than $100, but I can't for the life of me remember the vendor's name.

This is an item of very limited utility. I bought it because I thought -- correctly -- that it would be a fun way to include my 7 year old who isn't quite ready to handknit yet in my hobby. She has made several scarves with it, and we leave it set up so she can give it a few cranks every now and then.

It knits in the round and back and forth, but it is more error free (for a 7 year old) when it is knitting in the round. It could use any weight of yarn, but it only knits at one gauge, so I always use a worsted or bulky weight. If you used a lighter weight, you would end up with a bizarrely loose fabric.

Unlike most knitting machines, once the project has been removed from the needles, it is very difficult to put it back on. This means that you could not machine knit the cuff of a sock, take it off the machine to turn the heel, and then easily replace the stitches to finish knitting to the toe.

I did make some slipper socks from long tubes my daughter knit by adding an afterthought heel. I think that you could probably do a short row heel, but I have not tried it.

Although it is constructed from plastic, it is extremely sturdy and well made. Singer makes a similar item for much less money. A friend of mine bought it for her daughter for Christmas last year, but it does not work nearly as smoothly as the express. I think an adult could achieve the same result however with only slightly more effort. The kids had a very hard time getting it to work without leaving huge holes in the middle of the fabric.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

sgoldfried
Seriously Hooked

Canada
769 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  06:57:19 AM  Show Profile Send sgoldfried a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good morning all
where can i buy the addi express i do a lot charity knitting and this looks like it would work for afghans
can anyone help
sylvia
Go to Top of Page

sgoldfried
Seriously Hooked

Canada
769 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  06:59:48 AM  Show Profile Send sgoldfried a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sylvia again i forgot to say i live in markham ontario
thanks
sylvia
Go to Top of Page

Tgz
Chatty Knitter

Portugal
205 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  10:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tgz's Homepage Send Tgz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has someone tried the similar but bigger machine on marymaxim.com?

Does it work smoothly?

Thanks in advance!

my knitting blog: http://knittingthrough.blogspot.com
my stash:
http://knittingthroughstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

spyros
spammer

36 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  10:14:59 PM  Show Profile Send spyros a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I WISH YOU WERE HERE

http://www.schinousa.com
Go to Top of Page

andhow
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  3:06:54 PM  Show Profile Send andhow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it.

Yes it does make socks...not fingering/sock weight but worsed with two strings at a time. Great for house socks or for slip on shoes. Smaller weight yarn works but the socks are very open and you have to go slow or the yarn will slip and fall off the 'hook'.

Knitting a flat piece is like a st st with no purl on the edge so the thing rolls anyways, plus the side doesn't look that nice. It could look good if you picked up st on the sides or crochet it.

The round scarfs are great they are about 4" wide so best to do crazy long ones. Stripping is easy to do...and you don't need to tie them in, just knot inbetween 'hooks'.

Natural fibers work best-#1 wool. My favorite yarn to work use with it is Dancing fibers- Serendipty. DK or smaller can work, just don't take your eyes off it and go slow. Acrylic yarn you just need to try because some work and others don't. Never use Trendsetter-Scoubi Du it looks like it would work but doesn't.

Hats are only for child to baby size or a really, really small adult head.

Also the beginning and end are just like st on a yarn holder and still 'open'. You can poll the end yarn to make a circle ending like the top of a hat, bind off like normal, add fringe, just knot the whole end like a drawstring on a sweatshrit, or crochet the ends.

It's a great thing to buy with a group of knitting friends.
Four knitters@ $50 a piece. Christmas gift get done in a snap.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?