Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 How to Use the Knitter's Review Forums
 pictures of completed projects?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cindymen
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  1:10:39 PM  Show Profile Send cindymen a Private Message
Is there a way to post a picture of a completed project? I don't have a blog or a websit.
Thanks,
Cindy

Pink Dandelion
Chatty Knitter

136 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  1:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pink Dandelion's Homepage Send Pink Dandelion a Private Message
I'm new here so I don't know all the ins and outs of what this board is capable of, but for most places I would suggest getting a free image hosting account somewhere like www.flickr.com or www.photobucket.com . Once you upload your image, you can right click on the image itself, say 'copy image location' or 'view image' and then select the URL, be sure to get the full thing with the http:// and paste it between the img brackets... if you click the little yellow button with the mountains on it that's up with the font control buttons on the post box it will give the image brackets, put the URL between those, or type [ img ] paste image location here [ /img ] (but without the spaces).

Does any of that make any sense? I hope this helps.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
It is not possible to upload any pictures onto the KR servers and display them here in the forums. It can only be done by linking to a picture hosted elsewhere. We had to eliminate this option because of a) security (we couldn't control what people would upload) and b) costs of server storage for the images.

Here's another discussion we had about this:
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40784

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

cindymen
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:38:04 PM  Show Profile Send cindymen a Private Message
Thanks for the info - I will try to set up a link to photos of my finished products.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:55:07 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
One way to do it is to set up a flickr or other free account like Dandelion suggested, then modify your KR profilr to include the link in your signature. Set it so your signature is included in every post, and we can link from there. Looking forward to seeing your FO's!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  4:00:55 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
For people with dial up it takes forever for pages full of pictures to load, so it's best to just link to your photo site. An occasional picture is OK, but pages fullof pictures will drive people with dial up crazy. Of course they could get some knitting done while waiting for the pages to load....

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  4:15:57 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

For people with dial up it takes forever for pages full of pictures to load, so it's best to just link to your photo site. An occasional picture is OK, but pages fullof pictures will drive people with dial up crazy. Of course they could get some knitting done while waiting for the pages to load....
You know, maybe I should go back to dial-up, just for that purpose.

Yes, Cindy, links are actually better for all. I use Photobucket as an image hosting service. I use other software to reduce the size of the photo first, but you can reduce your photos using Irfanview (free), then upload them to Photobucket.

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  4:38:32 PM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
You may also want to check out Webshots.com. You can upload pictures there free as well.

*~*Lori*~*

My finished projects: http://community.webshots.com/album/308469463umpbHG

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

cindymen
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  3:03:18 PM  Show Profile Send cindymen a Private Message
ok - thanks everyone for your help! I think I've managed to do this.
http://flickr.com/photos/cindyknits
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  6:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Yup, it worked! Cute kid--is that your son?

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

cindymen
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  7:31:37 PM  Show Profile Send cindymen a Private Message
Thanks! It is my son - he's even cuter when he's smiling.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  09:34:33 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Here's a link to my photo album of finished and some not so finished knitted items you might want to look at.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/knittindreamer/album

Knit On, Patience
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  10:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by cindymen

ok - thanks everyone for your help! I think I've managed to do this.

Cindy, your son looks so cute in the things you made.

Just a thought - on flickr when you make the photos "public" anyone can see them and when you put "tags" on them strangers can pull them up which means that the pictures of your son will be on the open internet. I'm not sure whether or not that concerns you (no last name or address obviously). If you prefer, on flickr, you can mark pictures "private" and only the people you designate can view them - good for family albums, etc. A lot of people just photograph the knitted item and make that "public."

To see what I mean go to the site map and click on "everyone's tags" and put in jaywalker and see what comes up. You will see a lot of socks and also a family by the name of Jaywalker.

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

cindymen
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  12:18:20 PM  Show Profile Send cindymen a Private Message
Thanks for the advice. If I make them "private" KR people won't be able to see them? Are you suggesting that I just photograph the knitting, not on a person?
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  12:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
It's totally up to you whether you want to post pictures of just the knitted items, which some people do, or actual pictures of the people wearing them, which other people do. I just wanted to point out the options because, like you, I just started using flikr so I noticed all the different ways of doing it. I have a cute picture of my niece wearing a sweater I made but I'm not comfortable putting her on face on the internet. Again, everyone has a different view of this.

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

cindymen
Warming Up

71 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  2:18:47 PM  Show Profile Send cindymen a Private Message
I agree its probably better to be cautious about it. Thanks again.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

v-allknit
Seriously Hooked

India
741 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  02:06:39 AM  Show Profile Send v-allknit a Private Message
thanks for the help i have up loaded one of my finished projects and it was not so difficult as it looked.now i can keep on adding more photographs of my finished projects
shruti

quote:
Originally posted by Pink Dandelion

I'm new here so I don't know all the ins and outs of what this board is capable of, but for most places I would suggest getting a free image hosting account somewhere like www.flickr.com or www.photobucket.com . Once you upload your image, you can right click on the image itself, say 'copy image location' or 'view image' and then select the URL, be sure to get the full thing with the http:// and paste it between the img brackets... if you click the little yellow button with the mountains on it that's up with the font control buttons on the post box it will give the image brackets, put the URL between those, or type [ img ] paste image location here [ /img ] (but without the spaces).

Does any of that make any sense? I hope this helps.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Go to Top of Page

v-allknit
Seriously Hooked

India
741 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  04:29:01 AM  Show Profile Send v-allknit a Private Message
Dear WendyB,
i had just joined the photobucket "Loop" thing but how do i share the photograph with every one and how do i give the link for everyone to see at the end of my posts?
thanks
shruti
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  2:45:27 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Shruti, you can go into "Profile" at the top of this page (right under Knitter's Review Forums) and set up a signature. In that signature, you can put the URL to your photobucket address...it will then look just like the link to my blog in my signature. Every time you post, you can automatically include your signature and that will show everyone the address to your photobucket URL.

Mari

WIP: Estonian Lullaby blanket in Plymouth Encore

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  10:02:48 AM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
this is great! last time I was online I was trying to figure out somewhere to do something just like this. I got our digicam and set up a page now I just gotta take tons of pics! I'm so excited! But I'm not linking to it yet cuz I just put a tat pic, I don't have any pics of anything on my laptop yet.

Di,the cross country knitter

life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe