Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Ott lights anyone??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mom 2-4
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  6:22:53 PM  Show Profile Send Mom 2-4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking at purchasing an Ott light- does anyone have one - do you suggest the 18 watt or the 25 watt? I am looking at a ffloor model- I want to add some light to our family room - we put an cathedral enclosure over our patio and it blocks some of the natural light we used to get -- and I think it would be good for knitting.

Connie

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  6:42:57 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not at all impressed with the amount of light from the 18 watt on my desk - it certainly wouldn't be adequate as a floor lamp. I also have the 25W Charleston one from Joann, which is half price now. I'm very happy with the amount and quality of light for reading and knitting, but as ambient light, it looks very cold and blue.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  6:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had a pretty extensive thread about this a while ago, which may be helpful:

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45004&SearchTerms=,ott,light

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

littlegreydog
Warming Up

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  9:57:36 PM  Show Profile Send littlegreydog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kelly brings up a good point. I have the floor model in my living room and there's a hugh difference between the ott and my regular lamps. The light given off by the ott is very white/blue in color and the regular lamps are quite yellow.

It's very noticeable when both are in use-something I didn't realize before I bought the ott.

That said, I love it for knitting!

http://littlegreydog.typepad.com/the_dog_knits/
Go to Top of Page

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  04:28:41 AM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the floor model and use it for close work that I can't do under regular light. I got mine at JoAnn's with a coupon. I just love it!

Joy
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  12:11:06 AM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the small model and I love it, and it's so portable.

~Rena~
www.music2knit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  12:42:12 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two of the task lamps, one of which I use for reading and one for knitting. I'm working on a navy blue sweater right now which wouldn't be possible without my wonderful Ott light.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  09:09:28 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a floor model that I love, but I have broke the lamp shade and can't find a place to buy a new one. Any help here?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  11:20:32 AM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zola, When I ordered mine over the net from JoAnn's, it arrived with a broken shade. I too have the floor model, I think called the Lexington. They sent me a new shade but it took a LONG time to receive it. I'd think contacting the manufacturer would be a good idea. I know that JoAnn's said that a lot of the shades had broken in transit.

Joy
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  12:13:28 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 13W and 18W and they are more than enough for my needs. Of course some people need more light than others so try them out. I don't know if QVC in the US sells Ott, but The Shopping Channel in Canada has by far the best prices I've seen so you could check them out as they ship to the US. They also have a deal where you get a desk light for free when you buy a floor model.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  12:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ihave two
and I use them when sculpting....( do you all realize how small I work???)
I do like them but now I need to replace the bulbs
i've had mine for quite a few years
they hum btw

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  1:54:08 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
vi, they aren't supposed to hum when installed properly. None of my 4 hum.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Ajastoy
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  12:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ajastoy's Homepage  Send Ajastoy a Yahoo! Message Send Ajastoy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a note, I wouldnt spend the money for an Ott or any of those. Just use your favorite lamp, run to Walmart or any hardware and buy a regular fluorescent bulb,,,,, thats all it is anyway. I bought a $13.00 floor/reading lamp from Walmart, bought a 3 dollar and change fluorscent bulb and I've been happy ever since!

"What doesnt kill you, just makes you stronger"
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  06:18:39 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agastoy,
Actually, they are not just regular fluorescent bulbs. If you put them side by side, you would see a big difference. Or if you took a film photograph under one, you would see a big differnce. The Ott-lites, and other similar products are balanced to daylight, which is measured as about 5000K (Kelvin temperature scale used to measure the color of light), whereas fluorescent bulbs can be all over the board, measureing anywhere between 3200 and 7500, which is a huge swing. So if you are really looking for "true color" light, which is balanced to match natural sunlight as much as possible, you usually need to pay the extra bucks. I used to work in a commercial photo lab where that's exactly what we did - however we purchased bulbs for our standard fixtures in the work areas that were color balanced - they cost several times the price of standard bulbs - all in the effort to make sure that prints were made with the right color tones.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  07:31:48 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah! One of our floor lamps broke so it's time to buy a new Ott!

Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  07:33:04 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine sitting in my chair without the 18W Ott Lite now. I have the floor model and really like it - got it on sale as the store display model. Mine doesn't hum either. I've had it for about 3 years, use it every day, and have not had to replace the bulb yet.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

gcbriden
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  08:13:56 AM  Show Profile Send gcbriden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had a 25 watt Ott Lite for about 4 years and love it. It is a floor lamp and sits right by MY chair with all my knitting creature comforts all around me. I don't knit anywhere in the house except under that lamp.
Go to Top of Page

tenizmom@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  2:13:38 PM  Show Profile Send tenizmom@aol.com a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have three of the designer Ott lights and love them! One floor lamp and two table lamps, which are quite attractive, but the only complaint is from my DH, who says it creates a glare on the tv, which is only seen from his throne across the room. My view is fine!
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  12:46:05 PM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've spent much of this morning doing some research on ott lights and other full spectrum lights. I thought I'd post what I found out in case someone else can use it.

As knottyknitter said above, the difference between full spectrum lights and regular lights is the Color Temperature. An aquarium lighting site described their two daylight levels like this: Bulbs around 5000K have a warmer daylight appearance similar to early morning light. Bulbs around 6400K or 6700K have an appearance more like daylight in the middle of the afternoon under a clear blue sky. There is a difference in the true color rendering, too. The Color Rendering Index (CRI) for all 5500K bulbs is 91-92. That's "excellent" in CRI talk. All other bulbs in the 5000K to 6700K range have a good CRI in the low 80's. A common Cool White fluorescent bulb usually has a CRI in the low 70's. That's considered "fair." CRI's below 70 are considered "poor." ... The difference between CRI 92 and CRI 84, for instance, doesn't mean that all colors are rendered with 8% less accuracy with CRI 84. It only means that certain colors that depend on the wavelengths that the CRI 84 bulb is lowest in will be rendered somewhat less accurately. It is likely that the CRI 84 bulb will supply all the wavelengths necessary to render all colors you are interested in very well. That's why a CRI in the 80's is considered "good." Source

Ott lights have a color temperature of 5300K-5500K and a CRI of 95. There are also lights made by a company called Daylight that are 6500K and have a CRI of 85. Either one would likely be fine for our purposes.

In another thread on this board, someone asked if there was a way to put Ott lights in a regular lamp. The answer is yes. You can get them here and other places, I'm sure. You just have to be sure that the lamp you put it in is not a three-way lamp and you can't use a dimmer with them, just like any other compact fluorescent bulb. You can get Daylight bulbs to go into lamps and they're quite a bit cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

Schaeferyarnlover
Gabber Extraordinaire

513 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  1:18:48 PM  Show Profile Send Schaeferyarnlover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Daylight lamp (the small one) which I purchased on sale from Joanne's. I love it.
Debra
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?